New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #5,071 of 5,077
I'm wondering if Audioquest dropped the support to update the firmware. I downloaded the firmware updater and it says I'm on 1.06 and 1.08 is available, but I can't download or install it. The buttons on the updater don't do anything. On my other Intel based Mac that I tried it on, it says my internet is not connected, when it is. How can I update the firmware?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #5,073 of 5,077
Yes it is worth it for a few reasons:
-Voltage output of cobalt is at 2.1V (as the Red also), instead of 1.2V on the Black, thus able to drive higher impedance headphones such as Sennheiser HD600 series.
-Cobalt has a better DAC in the ESS Sabre series.
-Cobalt has an internal USB filter similar to the Jitterbug (you have to add this externally to the Black or Red).
-simply better sound with less agressive highs.
I think that sums it up.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #5,074 of 5,077
I'm listening to the DFR now coming from the black v1.5. In this case I'm using it purely as a DAC for amp and speakers and not for headphones. First impression is, besides the increase in output, is that it sounds warmer. Upon further listening I am noticing more body and fullness to the sound. I don't really find it too bright and aggressive in the treble, but maybe a little bit more forward. I feel like I can hear the decreased noise floor, because everything is cleaner. There is some bloat or muddiness in the bass / mid bass. I'm going to listen to some music with the DFR and see how it goes.

After listening to some hi-res lossless music with my amp turned up more is helping to showcase the DFR's sound, and I'm pretty happy so far with the added balance, clarity, dimension, detail I'm getting, but there is a definite warmth to it that wasn't there before. I feel there is a slight coloration happening. The bass control and definition is not great, which was an issue with the black too, and it is more of a spread bass sound.

Overall, the DFR feels warmer, a bit bloated in the bass and mid bass, and not as etched sounding, but there is a little more detail/extension and harmonic richness/sparkle that comes through. The sound feels more balanced and cleaner with the DFR.

I've only had a few minutes to listen so far but I'm enjoying it. The deficiencies it has are not hard to handle because the overall presentation is enjoyable. I think it's an improvement for sure, and a slight side grade being warmer. I'm not too bothered by the bass / mid bass issues on most music, it just sounds nice. It never sounds harsh, even when I turn it up.

Honestly though upright bass solos sound somewhat bad. The bass has no control. I kinda want to upgrade to something better in that regard. In this case, I don't need it to be portable, just small form factor. But I will keep the Dragonfly Black for my Grados.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #5,076 of 5,077
I tried to like the DFR. In the end, I really didn't like it. Went back to the black v1.5 because it sounds more neutral / lean.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #5,077 of 5,077
I tried to like the DFR. In the end, I really didn't like it. Went back to the black v1.5 because it sounds more neutral / lean.
I still love the dragonfly black tbf. It pairs sublimely with planar headphones and IEMs. This synergy I believe brings out the best in the DF Black - detailed, balanced, non bloated bass and the soundstage is fabulous. Not to mention it consumes way less power than all my other dongles. Still a keeper in my book IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back