New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 5, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #91 of 5,077
I had discussions with a number of cable & dac companies about producing a better CCK but it seems they are stuck due to Apple preventing it as they want to have full control over such connections. Not to say that someone can't find a work around of course..................  

Hmmm. But given that the Oppo HA-2 works without the CCK, presumably it is possible to build an all-in-one device that doesn't require the CCK? I presume that it just(!) needs to be Apple MFI certified.
Also, Apple's policies wouldn't prevent an Android model :)

May 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #92 of 5,077
Hmmm. But given that the Oppo HA-2 works without the CCK, presumably it is possible to build an all-in-one device that doesn't require the CCK? I presume that it just(!) needs to be Apple MFI certified.
Also, Apple's policies wouldn't prevent an Android model
smily_headphones1.gif

HiFimeDIY already do a device that has a USB OTG connector for Android devices, it uses the Sabre ES9023 chip according to the specs. It's £22 and from reviews I've seen it isn't bad. As it's designed for Android it meets the power requirements.

May 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #93 of 5,077

I had discussions with a number of cable & dac companies about producing a better CCK but it seems they are stuck due to Apple preventing it as they want to have full control over such connections. Not to say that someone can't find a work around of course..................  

Also, Apple's policies wouldn't prevent an Android model
smily_headphones1.gif

That was my point but I probably didn't explain it very well. Apple wont licence a CCK alternative! I wasn't saying anything about Android as I have no experience in this area, but I guess it should be more feasible.
How does the Oppo transfer digital sound from an idevice without a CCK please?

May 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #96 of 5,077
  Did anyone try the Red or Black with the Samsung S7?
Does it support the native android players and Spotify streaming without the need for applications such as USB Player Pro?

Thanks

I'm also curious to hear if the volume control of Spotify is working well with Android ?

May 5, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #98 of 5,077
Did anyone try the Red or Black with the Samsung S7?
Does it support the native android players and Spotify streaming without the need for applications such as USB Player Pro?

Thanks

As an s7 edge user with several dacs including the red I will say that the red does "work" with native android players, HOWEVER, they do not have control for the dragonfly's on board volume control, so even at max android volume, the play volume is relatively low. I use 32ohm headphones so at android max volume it's still lower than my preferred listening volume. It may be ok for iem use. For full functionality, you need a player that has its own usb drivers so that you will be granted access to the on board volume control as well as software volume, such as usb audio player pro

May 5, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #99 of 5,077
Perhaps a firmware update will fix the volume issues. Is there a thread where we can speak directly to AQ?

May 6, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #101 of 5,077
Hi everybody!

Today I have the opportunity to make some A/B/C test between Audioquest dragonfly black, red and Mojo :)

For that purpose I have used:
+ European iPhone 6+ with camera connector
+ Last generation Macbook pro.
+ Jh Audio Angie IEMs (17 ohms)
+ TIDAL HI-FI
+ 24/96 FLAC files

First of all, please do not compare both drangonfly with Mojo.
It is no fear in both ways becuase Mojo is extremely better in sound quality, and dragonflies in portability.
And in my opinion neither of them are a one-device-for-all.

Second, if I have to choose between black and red, I pull the trigger on black without any doubt.

Here you have my summary.
+ Black offers a little bit warmer sound than red.
+ Black offers higher output volumen than red. Huge differences at this point.
+ Black offers more space than red.
+ iOS plug and play experience is superb in both cases.
+ Portability is awesome. They offer a true portable rig (no battery, compact and almost invisible)

Hope this would be useful for other head-fiers :wink:

May 6, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #103 of 5,077
Hmmm,  Trying to decide whether to buy Red or Black, (or neither at this point).

I find the differing reviews quite confusing...   Can the Audio Player, or the Host Device (phone. or computer model), be affecting the differing reviews?     

ie. Mike (above) says Black has more output volume than the Red...  Which surely it does.  But why, when per AQ Black has 1/2 the output power of the Red.

And some report the Red as excellent, other as extremely poor with clicks/crackle, and others say the red just does not sound good.  

Wish an AQ Tech expert could help us understand what's going on with their devices.

May 6, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #104 of 5,077
Originally Posstreamingl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Red plus Samsung S7 with UAPP plus M50x headphones. Blistering good.

Thanks
Can you check Streaming via the s7without UAPP?
Any streaming (preferabely spotify or pandora)

Is any natve player on the s7 possible without UAPP?

Thanks again

May 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #105 of 5,077
Hmmm,  Trying to decide whether to buy Red or Black, (or neither at this point).

I find the differing reviews quite confusing...   Can the Audio Player, or the Host Device (phone. or computer model), be affecting the differing reviews?     

ie. Mike (above) says Black has more output volume than the Red...  Which surely it does.  But why, when per AQ Black has 1/2 the output power of the Red.

And some report the Red as excellent, other as extremely poor with clicks/crackle, and others say the red just does not sound good.  

Wish an AQ Tech expert could help us understand what's going on with their devices.

I don't know about the black because I haven't tried it. Based on the specs regarding the output, I don't see how the black could be louder. But as far as playing on my Android device with UAPP,which has access to the hardware volume control of the dac as well as the software volume control of the app, with my 32ohm V-moda m-100,k keeping software volume at 100% I can get to step 15 of 20 on the hardware volume before feeling like it is just too loud for my ears or my headphones. With my more power hungry AKG Q701 at 62 ohm impedance, I can still play them unamped with good volume. About step 18 of 20. Clean, neutral sound. I don't sense any extra color from the dac.i feel the sound signature is clearly based on the headphones I am choosing to play from the device,which is what I wanted. Haven't had the chance to connect my Cayin C5 amp yet as I haven't had the need for the extra power. Before this I was using a fiio k1 connected to a USB power hub to override Android not playing the device due to the 130+ mah draw. The dragonfly red is definitely more neutral, cleaner/clearer sounding. Much lower power draw.240 minutes playing my locally stored flac files,with phone on wifi. Phone went from 100% to 77%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back