New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #286 of 5,077
When I bought the DFR I fully expected to have to use UAPP on Android. It is what I have to use with my Master 11, BiFrost, Mojo, HDVD800, Emotiva Stealth DAC 1. This is a Universal Problem with Android. So besides being an Audioquest problem, it is a problem for all the other DAC manufactures who want to play on Android. So if UAPP can figure this out, why has not the entire collective of DAC sellers not gotten on this? Perhaps lease the driver from UAPP and let it load when DFR is plugged in. This is a well known problem that everyone except UAPP has ignored.

May 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #287 of 5,077
Having used a number of other DACs with various Android devices (only a little while back, while I was still bothering doing mobile development for Android) the sort of usability issues that are being encountered with the new Dragonfly's is pretty much par for the course.  It's hard to look at it as an AQ/DF specific issue when audio on Android, especially via OTG, is in it's current, inconsistent and highly variable, state.

That said, if people are really having issues with pure, stock, Android on the Nexus devices, that'd be something I'd see as more of an AQ issue.

May 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #288 of 5,077
 Hi Steve

As a side note... The DF Red sounds fantastic with UAPP and every pair of phones I have paired it with so far!

Well Steve, seems that the new Dragonflies are optimized to Apple products and smartphones in general. Using the Red with my Personal Computer (former target group of AQ) I find it a step back sonically compared to the Dragonfly 1.2. Everything seems to be a bit "too much", too much pressure, sound seems too fat, there no longer exists the transparency and separation of the 1.2. On PC it is too loud (as it is optimised for smartphones). Volume slider of JRiver is 10% as it was 40% with 1.2  

Any comments to this as I read in other forums that pc users made the same experience?
triportsad.gif

Regards, Reinhard  

Not sure if we talk about the iPhone + red + sensitive iems. Volume is too low.

May 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #289 of 5,077
I compared black and red on ipad pro with spotify/tidal hifi and headphone akg K812
And the winner was jitterbug with red :D
For me red+jitterbug is similar to ifi idsd micro - maybe a little bit better
Sold my ifi idsd micro
Returned black
And i am happy to have a good solution with great sound for iphone6s and ipad pro
:)

May 13, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #291 of 5,077
Hi Squish - 

Implementation of the DAC is still a large factor. Things such as the power supplies, ground schemes, clocking, etc ... are also important. In the end, if the Red doesn't sound better than the V10 on its own you should feel entitled to return the Red. Our hope and assumption is the Red will outperform the stock phone. But you be the judge and please let us know. 

Regards, 

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest 

Hi Steve. I really appreciate you saying that. I don't think I'll be wanting to return the dragonfly as its not the product doing anything wrong. I used it with my g2 phone and it's amazing the difference the dragonfly makes. Just was wondering how it stacked up against the phones built in sabre.

May 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #293 of 5,077
Did any s7/s7edge owner here, managed to play spotify via the Black?

Thanks
I played Spotify and every other Android media amp using the red. I just needed to connect a headphone amp to get adequate volume from my V-moda m100 while doing so

May 13, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #294 of 5,077
I
The problem is volume levels through Android using apps like Google Play Music, Spotify, YouTube, etc. do not get loud enough, even when set to full. For a lot of people, USB Audio Player Pro is the only app that gives adequate volume levels, which is fine if you have most of your music downloaded to your device, but for people who primarily stream it's an issue. I mostly use UAPP with downloaded music so the DF is fine, but through my Galaxy S6 Active YouTube, Play Music and MX Player require 14/15-15/15 volume to be loud enough with my IEMs. My larger headphones at 15/15 will be driven to "listenable in a quiet environment" loud.

With UAPP I can go deaf before reaching 70% volume.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification, I didn't understand it was a phone specific issue, I thought people were just talking "in general"

Good to know!

May 13, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #295 of 5,077
  Both RicherSounds and Superfi have them listed and they have stores local to me. If they hadn't got them in Amazon were doing next day delivery so it would have been a case of ordering.

My local audio dealer (who are a bunch of a-holes, both times I've dealt with them) told me

a) Audioquest hadn't shipped them to anyone yet

and then when I informed them that wasn't true, that everyone online was receiving them and posting reviews, their story changed to, "Oh, we haven't ordered any yet."

May 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #296 of 5,077
So I'm confused: I've read both that the Black and/or Red will NOT work with Samsung Galaxy S7, and I've also read they both do work on the device. Are some people running into different technical experiences with the same equipment?

May 13, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #297 of 5,077
  So I'm confused: I've read both that the Black and/or Red will NOT work with Samsung Galaxy S7, and I've also read they both do work on the device. Are some people running into different technical experiences with the same equipment?

They WILL work perfectly using USB Audio Player Pro and a functioning OTG cable. It's the implementation with other apps like Google Play Music, Spotify, Poweramp and YouTube where the volume levels might not be high enough.

May 13, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #298 of 5,077
  They WILL work perfectly using USB Audio Player Pro and a functioning OTG cable. It's the implementation with other apps like Google Play Music, Spotify, Poweramp and YouTube where the volume levels might not be high enough.

That's what I thought. Since I like Poweramp and Spotify/YouTube, I'll be having to seek other options.

May 13, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #299 of 5,077
The Jitterbug + Red + Roon player + Hifiman HE400S w/ Brainwavz pads is an AMAZING and lethal combo. I can't even believe how smooth and impactful the bass hits...how wide of a soundstage it throws...the clarity and separation of the mids...and the "just the right touch" highs. Seriously can't stop smiling.

May 13, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #300 of 5,077

Yes! I have two Samsung Tablets. A 12.2 and the 10 inch with the amoled screen. Can't think of the model. Both run the same cpu and chipset. Both were running the same build of Android. The 12.2 works natively with Emotiva DAC 1 and Bifrost multibit but not the Mojo or Master 11. The smaller one needs UAPP to play anything. I've kept the 12.2 where it is and continually taken the updates on the smaller one to no success. So YES, you could have two of the same thing and have one or neither work. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back