New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 12, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #257 of 5,077
I ordered the Dragonfly Red from Amazon on Friday and it was delivered on Sunday.

I have it as the DAC for my iMac, connected via Audioquest's Big Sur to PSB's PS1 speakers.  I also have the PSB matching sub via Audioquest's Irish Red.  I am using Iso speaker stands (and thick foam mouse pads because the speaker's base is so small).  My music player is Pono Music World's fork of JRiver, which is free and by far the best music player I've heard.

My previous set up was the same but with the Dragonfly 1.2.

My take with this set up:

1) Bass is much better controlled, but just as strong, with the Red.  The result is that for the first time I am hearing musical bass rather than just okay bass.  Bass is now enjoyable rather than just "there."  And bass with the Dragonfly 1.2 was a step up from the first Dragonfly, which sounded boomy.  I played some bass heavy tracks with the Red to find out how it would handle it: The Grateful Dead's "Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam," from 1:20 to about 1:40, is a torture test that sounded distorted with the 1.2, but the Red handles it well.  The driving bass notes in Portishead's "It Could Be Sweet" now sounds much better.  Pain Killer's "Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia," a very loud track with strong bass and drums, sounds fine now.  At the opposite extreme, Patty Larkin's "Coming Up for Air," the most beautiful song I've ever heard, is even more exquisite and the bass is superb.  I like bass, but not distorted or boomy bass, and for most songs the Red's bass is a major step up from what the 1.2 could produce.

2) Details are coming through better than with the 1.2.  I am hearing more depth, too, as in Larkin's "Coming Up for Air."

3) The 1.2's warmth is still there on my system.  It is glorious, as I noticed with Gillian Welch's "I Made a Lover's Prayer," and her "April the 14th Pt. 1," even in Apple AAC 256.

4) Vocals are clearer now with the Red on my system.  So good they are almost "creamy."  No unpleasant etch or grain at all.  No harshness in the treble.  But the somewhat raspy quality in the vocals of Stephen Still's "So Begins the Task" and in his "Treetop Flyer" from Just Roll tape is still there as intended. 

5) Acoustic guitar notes sound sublime now.  The 1.2 was pretty good, but the Red nails this.  Example: Gillian Welch's "Revelator" and "Everything is Free" from her Time album.  And "King of the Mountain" by David Crosby from his Box album.  And Buddy Guy's "Come Back Muddy" on his Born to Play Guitar album.

6) I forgot to mention Jazz.  I have a lot of older stuff from Billy Bang, Miles Davis, Nucleus with Ian Carr, Jacques Corsil, Ornette Coleman, etc., and it all sounds great with the Red.  As does my new obsession, After In Paris, which is sometimes classified as Jazz.

7) The Red brings out my PSB speakers' potential well enough for me to feel chills, like I've died and gone to audio heaven, with most of my music.  Some rock, however, like Led Zeppelin, sounds very good but isn't quite loud enough, and so I am tempted to step up to Adam Artist 5 speakers with the matching Artist sub this summer.  For the time being, I am happy with my speakers.

As I read elsewhere, there may be no better $200 investment than the Audioquest Red DAC to improve a computer audio system.  Audioquest has nailed it with the Red, at least for my modest audio system.

I have a Sony ZX2 that I use for my car's audio system, and it sounds good with high res and CD quality 1411 files.  I am curious how the Red DAC sounds with Apple AAC 256 songs from an iPad or iPhone.

May 12, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #261 of 5,077
I just bought the Dragonfly Red to use with iphone and ipad. The sound is amazing but I am experiencing a crackling, cracked sound on some tunes when I use Spotify. Have discovered that this happens when I use Spotify's equlizer. Usually i use the acoustic or the jazz setting. Should it be so, has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Just received my Dragonfly Red and getting the same issue here with iPhone 6S+CCK (using Oppo PM3s). Streaming from Tidal and Qobuz I get a crackling sound like scratched vinyl, random but approximately every couple of seconds, plus every now and then a brief and really nasty sound like fingernails on a blackboard. Switching to iTunes or Onkyo HD Player is better but still get the clicking occasionally. No EQ applied. No issues with headphones connected directly or through Chord Hugo, and has not been apparent yet when the Dragonfly is used with my MacBook using Audirvana+ or Vox. May have to return the Dragonfly and look for another solution. Otherwise it sounds pretty pleasing - wider sound stage and more extension and detail - but not close to the Hugo, which altogether richer and deeper (and nearly 10x more expensive!).

May 12, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #262 of 5,077
  Oh, I'm sorry there leaky74, I totally mis-read your post.

The (slight) fatigue (due to brightness) you mention, would you say that comes from the general difference between the to (smooth vs bright) or any specific sonic character of the Red (edgyness/grain/aggresiveness in the treble octaves)?

Having owned the red now for a couple of weeks; I'd revise that opinion. Me saying that it might be slightly fatiguing (compared to the Mojo) was based on my initial impressions and some brief A-B comparisons I undertook over the course of about an hour. To be honest, now that either my brain or the DF has burnt in; I don't find it fatiguing at all to be honest. Again, I would qualify this and say that it's perhaps no surprise it partners well with my HPs (Nighthawks), as I assume this would have been a pairing tested thoroughly in house. Partnered with a low output impedance, transparent amp I prefer the red in my setup. Using both as standalone units, I can understand the platitudes the mojo receives but in my opinion, I just didn't think it works as well with the Nighthawks as the Red.     

May 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #264 of 5,077

I've ordered the new cable, so I'll have a try with that first. Got 30 days to ship it back anyway.

I saw a thread on apple.com from march 1st this year that this new cable you refer to isn't supported on the Ipods, but theres been firmware upgrades since then on the iOS.

The Red is working with my iPod Touch 5G 
wink.gif

May 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #265 of 5,077
  I ordered the Dragonfly Red from Amazon on Friday and it was delivered on Sunday.

...and it all sounds great with the Red. ...

...The Red brings out my PSB speakers' potential well enough for me to feel chills

... Audioquest has nailed it with the Red, ....

....  I am curious how the Red DAC sounds with Apple AAC 256 songs from an iPad or iPhone.

^ Great review. The black sounds like exactly what Im looking for

Your comment to @Wilderness post confuses me, @delfine22 
confused_face_2.gif

May 12, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #266 of 5,077
  Having owned the red now for a couple of weeks; I'd revise that opinion. Me saying that it might be slightly fatiguing (compared to the Mojo) was based on my initial impressions and some brief A-B comparisons I undertook over the course of about an hour. To be honest, now that either my brain or the DF has burnt in; I don't find it fatiguing at all to be honest. Again, I would qualify this and say that it's perhaps no surprise it partners well with my HPs (Nighthawks), as I assume this would have been a pairing tested thoroughly in house. Partnered with a low output impedance, transparent amp I prefer the red in my setup. Using both as standalone units, I can understand the platitudes the mojo receives but in my opinion, I just didn't think it works as well with the Nighthawks as the Red.     

That is very nice to hear and thank you for the thorough feedback.

Both devices wold most likely blow my mind but the red seems to be the best option for my specific needs and gear, you really helped me to decide on this one. :)

May 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #267 of 5,077

Be interested to hear your thoughts when you get one :)

May 12, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #268 of 5,077
Hello everyone —

Thanks for your patience. There are several general questions and an overall concern regarding Android. I’ll address general questions and concerns first and save Android for last.

How many milliwatts do the DragonFlys output at 600ohm?
DragonFly Red is capable of a peak output of 2.1vac. Into 600ohms, that’s only about 7mW. But most 600-ohm headphones are usually less than that and we can drive these just fine, as well as drive any receiver or integrated amplifier.

How much battery power do the DragonFlys drain?
They both draw about 4-5ma, plus whatever power the headphone amp is using at that time. This makes them easily capable of working with mobile devices—without placing a heavy burden on battery life.

Are the DragonFlys USB Audio Class 1 or Class 2?
The DragonFlys are UAC1 devices.

Are the DragonFlys compatible with iPod Touch 5 and 6?
DragonFly Black and Red are compatible with all iOS devices.

DragonFly Black/Red is exhibiting pops, clicks, and intermittent distortion when connected to an iPhone/iOS device.
Pops and clicks from iOS devices can be attributed to one or both of the following:
•   Defective Camera Connection Kit: We have had experiences with a few defective camera kits. Apple has been proactive in replacing any defective units. You can simply return a defective adaptor to any Apple store for an exchange. Be sure to purchase genuine Apple CCKs. There are a number of counterfeits on the market.
•   On a few occasions, while listening to any app, such as iTunes, Tidal, or Netflix, I’ve experienced intermittent clicks. I’ve found that shutting down the iOS device (iPhone or iPad) and rebooting the unit solves the issue.

Hearing a crackling sound when using Spotifys equalizer settings.
We’ve experienced the same thing with Spotify’s EQ, but not from other apps. I’ve sent a service request to Spotify and hopefully they will respond. If they’re willing, I’m certain this is something we can solve together.

What we know about our USB code’s compatibility – It works with the following:
•   Apple OS X and iOS
•   Microsoft XP, 7, 8.1 and 10
•   Linux Ubuntu (we offer no support for Linux OS’)
•   Android 4.1 and newer *provided that the hardware manufacturer implements hardware, software, and device drivers in accordance with all agreed specifications. This is where things get sticky …

When Google releases a new OS, they tend to have everything buttoned up and compliant. That’s their goal. Yes, there will be problems; there always are. But that’s what updates are for. Where things get sticky are in implementation. When a hardware manufacturer gets hold of the OS, they can choose to keep, alter, or omit certain features. This creates fragmentation. I’ll give you an example: I bought a Samsung Galaxy tablet. It was a brand new and current model when I purchased it. As soon as I got it, I made sure it had all of the latest software updates. When I went to connect it to several USB DACs, it would not enumerate with any of them. So, I downloaded the following software to test the tablet’s compliance: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics .

This app confirmed that my tablet is not compliant with the USB Host specification. From here, I jumped to UAPP, an app that has all of its own appropriate solutions embedded into it, bypassing any limitations built natively into the devices OS.

With regard to volume control: The USB org defines very clearly how volume control is supposed to work:

3.5 Audio Function Topology
To be able to manipulate the physical properties of an audio function, its functionality must be divided into addressable Entities. Two types of such generic Entities are identified and are called Units and Terminals.
Units provide the basic building blocks to fully describe most audio functions. Audio functions are built by connecting together several of these Units. A Unit has one or more Input Pins and a single Output Pin, where each Pin represents a cluster of logical audio channels inside the audio function. Units are wired together by connecting their I/O Pins according to the required topology. … As an example, consider a Volume Control inside a Feature Unit. By issuing the appropriate Get requests, the Host software can obtain values for the Volume Controls attributes and, for instance, use them to correctly display the Control on the screen. Setting the Volume Controls current attribute allows the Host software to change the volume setting of the Volume Control.

5.2.2.4.3.2 Volume Control
The Volume Control is one of the building blocks of a Feature Unit. A Volume Control can support all possible Control attributes (CUR, MIN, MAX, and RES). The settings for the CUR, MIN, and MAX attributes can range from +127.9961 dB (0x7FFF) down to -127.9961 dB (0x8001) in steps of 1/256 dB or 0.00390625 dB (0x0001). The range for the CUR attribute is extended by code 0x8000, representing silence, i.e., -∞ dB. The settings for the RES attribute can only take positive values and range from 1/256 dB (0x0001) to +127.9961 dB (0x7FFF). The Volume Control honors the request to the best of its abilities. It may round the wVolume attribute value to its closest available setting. It will report this rounded setting when queried during a Get Control request.
In the first form of the request, a particular Volume Control within a Feature Unit is addressed through the Unit ID and Channel Number fields of the Set/Get Feature Unit Control request. The valid range for the Channel Number field is from zero (the ‘masterchannel) up to the number of logical channels in the audio channel cluster.

The DragonFly Red & Black follow standard USB protocol definitions for volume controls. This is a function of decibels with a unity gain output = 0dB. In the case of the Red the range is from -64dB to 0dB, were 0dB would equal full capable output of 2.1Vac.

Here’s an example of how this works (Apple):

DragonFly set to 0db (unity gain)

DragonFly set to -1db

DragonFly set to -64db (zero gain)

And here’s how this works on Windows:

So, we know for certain the following: Both Apple and Microsoft adhere to the USB Host specifications. We also know that UAPP adheres to this. That’s why DragonFlys work with the volume control on all of these systems.
A little bit more on why UAPP works on almost all Android devices: It is a driver in the purest sense, similar to an ASIO driver for windows.  UAPP doesn’t write to Android’s media player, only to its own.

The issue with compatibility resides with Android and/or its hardware partners. All we can do is create a code that meets USB.org’s specification. From there it is up to parties on the other side to adhere as well.  We’ve seen workarounds such as this … http://www.techulk.com/2015/01/how-to-increase-default-volume-on-any.html . But this seems to be chip specific, so it won’t solve everyone’s problem. This is the challenge with a fragmented market.

I think in the long term we’ll need to find a developer who wants to create a universal device driver for Android; something akin to the ASIO driver for Windows. Until then the best solution we can recommend is UAPP. Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

May 12, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #269 of 5,077
Hello everyone —

Thanks for your patience. There are several general questions and an overall concern regarding Android. I’ll address general questions and concerns first and save Android for last.

How many milliwatts do the DragonFlys output at 600ohm?
DragonFly Red is capable of a peak output of 2.1vac. Into 600ohms, that’s only about 7mW. But most 600-ohm headphones are usually less than that and we can drive these just fine, as well as drive any receiver or integrated amplifier.

How much battery power do the DragonFlys drain?
They both draw about 4-5ma, plus whatever power the headphone amp is using at that time. This makes them easily capable of working with mobile devices—without placing a heavy burden on battery life.

Are the DragonFlys USB Audio Class 1 or Class 2?
The DragonFlys are UAC1 devices.

Are the DragonFlys compatible with iPod Touch 5 and 6?
DragonFly Black and Red are compatible with all iOS devices.

DragonFly Black/Red is exhibiting pops, clicks, and intermittent distortion when connected to an iPhone/iOS device.
Pops and clicks from iOS devices can be attributed to one or both of the following:
•   Defective Camera Connection Kit: We have had experiences with a few defective camera kits. Apple has been proactive in replacing any defective units. You can simply return a defective adaptor to any Apple store for an exchange. Be sure to purchase genuine Apple CCKs. There are a number of counterfeits on the market.
•   On a few occasions, while listening to any app, such as iTunes, Tidal, or Netflix, I’ve experienced intermittent clicks. I’ve found that shutting down the iOS device (iPhone or iPad) and rebooting the unit solves the issue.

Hearing a crackling sound when using Spotifys equalizer settings.
We’ve experienced the same thing with Spotify’s EQ, but not from other apps. I’ve sent a service request to Spotify and hopefully they will respond. If they’re willing, I’m certain this is something we can solve together.

What we know about our USB code’s compatibility – It works with the following:
•   Apple OS X and iOS
•   Microsoft XP, 7, 8.1 and 10
•   Linux Ubuntu (we offer no support for Linux OS’)
•   Android 4.1 and newer *provided that the hardware manufacturer implements hardware, software, and device drivers in accordance with all agreed specifications. This is where things get sticky …

When Google releases a new OS, they tend to have everything buttoned up and compliant. That’s their goal. Yes, there will be problems; there always are. But that’s what updates are for. Where things get sticky are in implementation. When a hardware manufacturer gets hold of the OS, they can choose to keep, alter, or omit certain features. This creates fragmentation. I’ll give you an example: I bought a Samsung Galaxy tablet. It was a brand new and current model when I purchased it. As soon as I got it, I made sure it had all of the latest software updates. When I went to connect it to several USB DACs, it would not enumerate with any of them. So, I downloaded the following software to test the tablet’s compliance: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics .

This app confirmed that my tablet is not compliant with the USB Host specification. From here, I jumped to UAPP, an app that has all of its own appropriate solutions embedded into it, bypassing any limitations built natively into the devices OS.

With regard to volume control: The USB org defines very clearly how volume control is supposed to work:

3.5 Audio Function Topology
To be able to manipulate the physical properties of an audio function, its functionality must be divided into addressable Entities. Two types of such generic Entities are identified and are called Units and Terminals.
Units provide the basic building blocks to fully describe most audio functions. Audio functions are built by connecting together several of these Units. A Unit has one or more Input Pins and a single Output Pin, where each Pin represents a cluster of logical audio channels inside the audio function. Units are wired together by connecting their I/O Pins according to the required topology. … As an example, consider a Volume Control inside a Feature Unit. By issuing the appropriate Get requests, the Host software can obtain values for the Volume Controls attributes and, for instance, use them to correctly display the Control on the screen. Setting the Volume Controls current attribute allows the Host software to change the volume setting of the Volume Control.

5.2.2.4.3.2 Volume Control
The Volume Control is one of the building blocks of a Feature Unit. A Volume Control can support all possible Control attributes (CUR, MIN, MAX, and RES). The settings for the CUR, MIN, and MAX attributes can range from +127.9961 dB (0x7FFF) down to -127.9961 dB (0x8001) in steps of 1/256 dB or 0.00390625 dB (0x0001). The range for the CUR attribute is extended by code 0x8000, representing silence, i.e., -∞ dB. The settings for the RES attribute can only take positive values and range from 1/256 dB (0x0001) to +127.9961 dB (0x7FFF). The Volume Control honors the request to the best of its abilities. It may round the wVolume attribute value to its closest available setting. It will report this rounded setting when queried during a Get Control request.
In the first form of the request, a particular Volume Control within a Feature Unit is addressed through the Unit ID and Channel Number fields of the Set/Get Feature Unit Control request. The valid range for the Channel Number field is from zero (the ‘masterchannel) up to the number of logical channels in the audio channel cluster.

The DragonFly Red & Black follow standard USB protocol definitions for volume controls. This is a function of decibels with a unity gain output = 0dB. In the case of the Red the range is from -64dB to 0dB, were 0dB would equal full capable output of 2.1Vac.

Here’s an example of how this works (Apple):

DragonFly set to -1db

And here’s how this works on Windows:

So, we know for certain the following: Both Apple and Microsoft adhere to the USB Host specifications. We also know that UAPP adheres to this. That’s why DragonFlys work with the volume control on all of these systems.
A little bit more on why UAPP works on almost all Android devices: It is a driver in the purest sense, similar to an ASIO driver for windows.  UAPP doesn’t write to Android’s media player, only to its own.

The issue with compatibility resides with Android and/or its hardware partners. All we can do is create a code that meets USB.org’s specification. From there it is up to parties on the other side to adhere as well.  We’ve seen workarounds such as this … http://www.techulk.com/2015/01/how-to-increase-default-volume-on-any.html . But this seems to be chip specific, so it won’t solve everyone’s problem. This is the challenge with a fragmented market.

I think in the long term we’ll need to find a developer who wants to create a universal device driver for Android; something akin to the ASIO driver for Windows. Until then the best solution we can recommend is UAPP. Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

So... Why do I hear the red less loud than black in OS X and iOS? Sorry, but I do not understand the reason and how to fix it.

Thanks!

May 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #270 of 5,077
About a week ago I bought a Audioquest dragonfly red now this week I was able to get a LG v10 for a decent price. I saw the v10 has the sabre 9018 and the dragonfly has a 9016 did I just make my dac/amp purchase useless? I only use it on mobile since my pc uses my onkyo to decode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back