New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #797 of 1,588
Grado77,
No, I have not even heard the D5000 or D7000, I merely listened to the D2000 for a short time - that's why I wrote that I cannot draw any comparisons. I merely wished to point out that while the Dx000 were in production, criticism was not unusual (which doesn't mean that the D5/7000 were bad, of course), yet now that they're discontinued they're being glorified. Perhaps justly so, I'm in no position to judge.
smile.gif

As for sources an amplification, with respect, not even the fanciest DAC or amplifier will not remove basic problems caused by the headphone's design such as resonances. The Fostex T50RP is an excellent example of what can be achieved by adding some cheap foam into the earcups - the same was done (even before the T50RP became popular, I think) with the Dx000, most prominently known as the MarkL mod. Not having owned or heard the D5/7000 I can't judge the improvement these mods make, but based on other people's opinions they did solve some issues (such as resonances/bloated bass). And perhaps something can be done with the D600/7100 too to improve things.

elwappo99,
Please be so kind to point out where I'm being subjective and trying to defend my purchase of the D7100. I think I've stated multiple times that they're not worth their asking price and that other headphones such as the HD800 are clearly superior.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #798 of 1,588
Quote:
Grado77,
No, I have not even heard the D5000 or D7000, I merely listened to the D2000 for a short time - that's why I wrote that I cannot draw any comparisons. I merely wished to point out that while the Dx000 were in production, criticism was not unusual (which doesn't mean that the D5/7000 were bad, of course), yet now that they're discontinued they're being glorified. Perhaps justly so, I'm in no position to judge.
smile.gif

As for sources an amplification, with respect, not even the fanciest DAC or amplifier will not remove basic problems caused by the headphone's design such as resonances. The Fostex T50RP is an excellent example of what can be achieved by adding some cheap foam into the earcups - the same was done (even before the T50RP became popular, I think) with the Dx000, most prominently known as the MarkL mod. Not having owned or heard the D5/7000 I can't judge the improvement these mods make, but based on other people's opinions they did solve some issues (such as resonances/bloated bass). And perhaps something can be done with the D600/7100 too to improve things.

elwappo99,
Please be so kind to point out where I'm being subjective and trying to defend my purchase of the D7100. I think I've stated multiple times that they're not worth their asking price and that other headphones such as the HD800 are clearly superior.
wink.gif

Point is taken, and why I have a set of T50RP arriving today to play around with! However, Headfi forums are chuck full of reports from users with less than spectacular gear in all kinds of EQ'd states. In my experience, gear plays a huge role, and when you have a proper configuration can make a night and day difference.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #799 of 1,588
SRh1840s seem to have a lot of distortion and I find their sound "pleasant", "full-sounding" (probably because of said distortion and basically confirmed by purrin also), and a pleasure to listen... (just not worth $600 :wink:). So main point... IT MAY measure bad but IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT X-specific headphone is bad sounding!!!

Anyway, my initial impressions have not really changed:

Quote:
THESE ARE NOT BASSHEAD HEADPHONES!!!!

Sub-bass is weaker when compared to Sig Pros, Denon D5000s, heck, I might even say weaker than the Mad Dogs... BUT don't quote me on this yet as the only other headphone I have side by side right now at the office is the Ultrasone! Midbass is definitely a bit boosted. Sound is airy similar to the D5000s (from memory) and bass seems a bit more controlled than on the D5000s. Seems to me some mid region is also a bit boosted as sometimes guitars (electric) sounds more "in your face"... could be the track, but comparing the same track on the Sig Pros, the guitars sound more inviting on the latter... Will have to test more to see if this could become an inconvenience (i.e. Will listen to Killswitch Engage for a bit and see if it becomes fatiguing) Vocals seem good to me but have not listened yet to any Fiona, Esperanza, etc. yet. There's a slight bright tilt too (at least brighter than both the Signature Pros I have on hand and the D5000s) Isolation is actually pretty good (better than the D5000s). Same with leakage. On fast tracks, the headphones respond really well and the same with acoustic... Seems like a well-rounded entry to me!

At this point (after 1 week), sub-bass is still the same, Midbass sounds the same, and sometimes highs sound wonky... BUT it is not a bad listen at all. The graphs Tyll showed and commented on mentioned lack of highs, I actually find them a bit bright and highs extends well to my ears so I don't know about that... Not to Shure levels of course, but they are present.

Are they better than the D5000s?
Depends on what you want!

If you want a decent sound with good quality bass, good isolation and no sound leakage, then the D600s might be up your alley.

If you don't care about leakage, isolation and like a strong sub-bass (even if a bit uncontrolled bass) with good mids and highs, then go with the D5000s.

Which one I prefer between these 2? The older gen one... but again, the D600s is NOT bad sounding. But now the question becomes, is there anything else better than the D600s on that price range? And the answer is ... yes. :p 

But as everything, we go back again and have to talk about what the user would want regarding not only sound quality, but comfort, sound leakage, etc. etc.

Right now I'm using the Mad Dogs (and also have the D600s here beside me) and I'm enjoying the Mad Dogs very much... They don't have as good a punch as the D600 in the midbass/bass and maybe not enough sub-bass either BUT across the board they sound more pleasing (and highs don't sound "wonky"! :wink:).

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #800 of 1,588
Quote:
SRh1840s seem to have a lot of distortion and I find their sound "pleasant", "full-sounding" (probably because of said distortion and basically confirmed by purrin also), and a pleasure to listen... (just not worth $600 :wink:). So main point... IT MAY measure bad but IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT X-specific headphone is bad sounding!!!

Anyway, my initial impressions have not really changed:

At this point (after 1 week), sub-bass is still the same, Midbass sounds the same, and sometimes highs sound wonky... BUT it is not a bad listen at all. The graphs Tyll showed and commented on mentioned lack of highs, I actually find them a bit bright and highs extends well to my ears so I don't know about that... Not to Shure levels of course, but they are present.

Are they better than the D5000s?
Depends on what you want!

If you want a decent sound with good quality bass, good isolation and no sound leakage, then the D600s might be up your alley.

If you don't care about leakage, isolation and like a strong sub-bass (even if a bit uncontrolled bass) with good mids and highs, then go with the D5000s.

Which one I prefer between these 2? The older gen one... but again, the D600s is NOT bad sounding. But now the question becomes, is there anything else better than the D600s on that price range? And the answer is ... yes. :p 

But as everything, we go back again and have to talk about what the user would want regarding not only sound quality, but comfort, sound leakage, etc. etc.

Right now I'm using the Mad Dogs (and also have the D600s here beside me) and I'm enjoying the Mad Dogs very much... They don't have as good a punch as the D600 in the midbass/bass and maybe not enough sub-bass either BUT across the board they sound more pleasing (and highs don't sound "wonky"! :wink:).

that's very helpful, thanks. Along with today's pics of the 7100 cups sure making it look like a blatant money grab scenario. We should be hearing glorious reports of the successor, out with the old, in with the new. Sad news I'd say with so many great alternatives.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #801 of 1,588
Quote:
elwappo99,
wink.gif

I wasn't talking about you in particular. I didn't really notice you had them at all. There area few others though. My main point is that at this asking price they are a very expensive pair of headphones. For that much money you could purchase a well engineered pair, with the intentions of being a good pair of headphones. It's clear they focused on how these look (hard to believe for some) instead of the sound. At this price point Hifiman and Audeze put out serious headphones that took a lot of time and skill to put together. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #803 of 1,588
Quote:
Some photos of the internals:

Driver outside

Driver inside

Cup inside - note the foam-ish dampening material. I wonder why it's just in the lower half of the cups?

The cups seem to be quite shallow, the driver probably almost touches the center part of the cups. Still, I wonder what could be achieved by dampening the entire outer part of the cups.

jeebus.. what shoddy quality for a 1100$ headphone.

Anyways, never really cared for Denons. Run of the mill stuff just like all their electronics lately.  The Denon of yore died a lot time back.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #805 of 1,588
Quote:
You know whats sad.... is that by the looks of it those poor engineers really did work very hard to make the best of a crap situation, there are soo many tweaks done to that housing to get it sounding "right"

Its actually a shame the inside of the cups looks so cheap, and the shape/style of the headphone dictated the sound. if they allowed those engineers to dictate the shape of the headphone I feel we may have a rather different story here.

The inside of those cups is basically identical to the D7000/5000

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #807 of 1,588
When I look at this design, it seems clear we're diametrally opposed to the open air / direct wave approach like in senns HD800. It seems intentional that little damping was used in the earcup and the goal may have been to get a blend of equal direct and reverberant sound to the ear canal. It seems they even went so far as blocking the front of the driver to increase the reflected waves proportion.

So, it's like Denon has either hired an ultrasone engineer, or taken experience from bose and their small nasty acoustimass woofers :wink:.

In any case, I can imagine where all the measured ringing is coming from now and am not particularly excited to hear this product either (should always keep an open mind though but it gets difficult when one does not buy into the design philosophy...)

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #808 of 1,588
I figured something out for those looking to recable their D600 for whatever reason- the finished plastic red and white inputs for the 1/8" jacks is an extra piece not really needed except for the proprietary Denon plugs-grrrrr.

I removed these and a standard 1/8" plug (like the Rean ones I bought) snap in and stay. Slightly unfinished looking from the bottom but I don't care about that. The lower portion of the cup is sealed off from the driver portion so it does not affect venting.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #810 of 1,588
Quote:
I have taken apart the D5000, D7000 and now the D600- they are all quite similar in built quality IMO (good not spectacular).

That's why I edited my post - I'd need to take them apart in person before making the distinction.

But it's not about build quality - it's about venting, damping schemes, and other small tricks to manage resonance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back