New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #721 of 1,588
Quote:
Yes, you did, it was me that posted a mini review.
I've been listening to headphones for 30 years, so I'm quite convinced that the D7100 sounded better than the D600, but as I wrote in my review, the difference in sound is not worth the price difference.

Interesting, next question would be if one was to mod the D600's would one be able to bring out the extra sound making them sound the same or better than the D7100's?

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #722 of 1,588
I'm jumping in on the D600, all this discussion has me curious to hear how they do sound  It will be fun to compare them to my other Denon's, and if they are a dud I can resell easy enough or send it back for a refund. 

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/denon-ah-d600.html

Anyway, used the coupon "Class" at earphone solutions (good for today only I think), for a 20% discount, getting them for $399 with free shipping. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #723 of 1,588
Quote:
I'm jumping in on the D600, all this discussion has me curious to hear how they do sound  It will be fun to compare them to my other Denon's, and if they are a dud I can resell easy enough or send it back for a refund. 

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/denon-ah-d600.html

Anyway, used the coupon "Class" at earphone solutions (good for today only I think), for a 20% discount, getting them for $399 with free shipping. 

If you are not a basshead, but like appropriate bass with excellent midrange detail and nicely extended highs, I believe you made the right choice.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #724 of 1,588
Quote:
If you are not a basshead, but like appropriate bass with excellent midrange detail and nicely extended highs, I believe you made the right choice.

I'm getting these as a potential headphone for work. When I want to hear bass, I put on my LCD's. Otherwise, my favorite headphones tend to be my T1's and Senn. 800's.
The D600's may be perfect for my workplace. Looking forward to them.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #725 of 1,588
Quote:

I haven't heard the D600 -- but the D7100 is exactly the opposite of what you describe here. The bass is overbearing, the mids are very muddy and veiled, and the treble seemed a bit rolled off. It honestly sounds like it strives to be sold at the Apple Store. 

Is the D600 that different from the D7100? 
confused.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #726 of 1,588
Quote:

I haven't heard the D600 -- but the D7100 is exactly the opposite of what you describe here. The bass is overbearing, the mids are very muddy and veiled, and the treble seemed a bit rolled off. It honestly sounds like it strives to be sold at the Apple Store. 

Is the D600 that different from the D7100? 
confused.gif

I haven't heard the D7100, so I can't say, but they supposedly have a similar signature to the D600.  To me, it sounds like you are describing the D400, not the D7100.  Is the one you are listening to all black with light up rotating blue dials?  If so, it is the D400 which is terrible.  If not, I suppose we just hear differently.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #728 of 1,588
Quote:
It was definitely the D7100 (quite possibly the ugliest headphones I've ever seen). Jude brought it to the meet in LA a couple of weekends ago. 

From Jude's photos of the unboxing, dated Juy 19th, that was a Pre-Production sample.

Not sure if the retail production unit would be tuned differently. Also, since it was relatively brand new, do we know if it was burned in?

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #730 of 1,588
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the D600 are the real deal over the D7000's ; )

D7000s certainly sound better to me, especially vocals. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #735 of 1,588
Quote:

From Jude's photos of the unboxing, dated Juy 19th, that was a Pre-Production sample.

Not sure if the retail production unit would be tuned differently. Also, since it was relatively brand new, do we know if it was burned in?

Perhaps it was a pre-production model. I'm open to that. Although, what's the chances that Denon takes a differently-tuned pre-production model, puts it in normal packaging, and ships it to the owner of the biggest headphone forum in the world just weeks before it's official release? I'd file this under possible, but not very likely.

And who knows how long it was burned in. I haven't ever experienced burn-in to have such dramatic effects in headphones -- and I've owned several headphones that are notorious for "needing burn-in" (three Ultrasones, K701...). And what I heard wasn't a slightly unrefined headphone needing a tad bit of settling. Nope, this was huge doses of suckage. 

Assuming Craigster75 is correct in that the $400 D600 sounds very similar to the $1200 D7100, that would actually make the D600 a much more reasonable proposition/value -- considering that good, closed, portable headphones are so few and far between. Being just $250 overpriced is much better than $1050 overpriced. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back