NEW Chord Electronics Poly & Hugo 2 preorders available now!
Feb 25, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 51

I don't see why they are not providing a cable so that you can use the Poly with any dac. After all, it's just a micro usb connection to the Mojo that transports digital audio. The other connector is only power. There's nothing mojo-specific about the Poly. Even the volume control does not actually control the mojo volume, just the poly volume (according to Chord at CanJam). 

If they marketed it as a lossless wireless transport for any DAC, the price would be a bit more palatable. 

One would have to use two cables, one for the signal and one for power, both with female connectors, of course, one to the DAC and the other to a 2200mAh power source, and that even before looking at the form factor... C'mon!

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 51
  Only one of them is audio .The other one is power to charge the mojo. So theoretically, a usb cable connected to the audio slot should be sufficient for any dac. Not the prettiest solution though. 

Right, not a very attractive solution, especially at that price.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 51
  One would have to use two cables, one for the signal and one for power, both with female connectors, of course, one to the DAC and the other to a 2200mAh power source, and that even before looking at the form factor... C'mon!

Why would you need a cable for the power? My understanding is that the poly has its own battery. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #19 of 51

Why would you need a cable for the power? My understanding is that the poly has its own battery. 

The battery needs to be recharged too, doesn't it? Now, when it is joined with the Mojo, they both get recharged together with one cable, but if you have a separate portable DAC you would need to recharge them separately, with two different rechargers.Truth of the matter is, the Poly has been designed exclusively for the Mojo, and rightly so, and they do make a wonderful "couple", if only they could be somewhat less pricey..

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 51

The battery needs to be recharged too, doesn't it? Now, when it is joined with the Mojo, they both get recharged together with one cable, but if you have a separate portable DAC you would need to recharge them separately, with two different rechargers.Truth of the matter is, the Poly has been designed exclusively for the Mojo, and rightly so, and they do make a wonderful "couple", if only they could be somewhat less pricey..

From my understanding, Poly can be charged either by itself or along with Mojo. If Mojo has a full charge and it determines its own battery is running low it will charge only itself and vice versa. You would need a Micro-usb female to Micro-usb Male extension cable to hook it up to another Micro-usb based dac such as Hugo, Hugo 2 and all the other microusb dacs out on the market. In order to terminate to Micro-usb Type B you would need another cable or converter. 

Right now getting these cables would be a bit tricky but Chord or a third party manufactuer could easily produce an audiophile grade cable and sell it at a fair price. This way you can use Poly as a source for any dac. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 51

Right but what I meant is that you don't need a second cable on the go. You just need to connect it to your dac. Any portable device would have to be recharged at some point. 
In any case I agree this is not a very elegant solution and I would certainly jump on it if it was a standalone device in a nicer form factor. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 51
They should include an end cap while not in use with mojo so it has its own form and make it usable with any DAC with a conversion cable. It would solidify many more sales, make it a product on its own AND an add-on for the Mojo. Just send me one for the idea :p

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #25 of 51
They should include an end cap while not in use with mojo so it has its own form and make it usable with any DAC with a conversion cable. It would solidify many more sales, make it a product on its own AND an add-on for the Mojo. Just send me one for the idea :p

I'll accept one as well for my contribution to this discussion :p

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #26 of 51

Not understanding what all the fuss is about.  Poly is simply an add-on for the MoJo.  It wasn't designed to be standalone.  If it doesn't work for you, get the Hugo 2!  Otherwise, this is a nice add-on for the MoJo although the BT functionality needs clarification for me.  Yes, the price is a bit steep but then look at the Hugo 2's price of $2,200.  $700 doesn't seem too bad...

My two cents.

CJ
:)

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #27 of 51
Not understanding what all the fuss is about.  Poly is simply an add-on for the MoJo.  It wasn't designed to be standalone.  If it doesn't work for you, get the Hugo 2!  Otherwise, this is a nice add-on for the MoJo although the BT functionality needs clarification for me.  Yes, the price is a bit steep but then look at the Hugo 2's price of $2,200.  $700 doesn't seem too bad...

My two cents.

CJ

That's a pretty bad relative comparison right there. The Hugo 2 is a device into its own that has the potential to deliver amazing SQ. The Poly simply removes the wired connection from the much lesser Mojo, along with a few other obscure features that have been poorly defined, without adding any improvement to the quality of the Mojo. It is an add on that makes Mojo wireless, that's it. Yet it costs more than the Mojo. All else is useless excuses for why it costs more. I'm not implying Chord is lying but perhaps they should have spent more time to figure out how to deliver this functionality at a lower cost.

I guess a wireless add on for the Hugo 2 that would cost $3000 also makes sense sincr the Chord Dave costs nearly $10k by that logic.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #28 of 51
That's a pretty bad relative comparison right there. The Hugo 2 is a device into its own that has the potential to deliver amazing SQ. The Poly simply removes the wired connection from the much lesser Mojo, along with a few other obscure features that have been poorly defined, without adding any improvement to the quality of the Mojo. It is an add on that makes Mojo wireless, that's it. Yet it costs more than the Mojo. All else is useless excuses for why it costs more. I'm not implying Chord is lying but perhaps they should have spent more time to figure out how to deliver this functionality at a lower cost.

I guess a wireless add on for the Hugo 2 that would cost $3000 also makes sense sincr the Chord Dave costs nearly $10k by that logic.

Well, actually, the Poly also adds wireless streaming capability and an SD card input which effectively makes it more versatile than the Hugo 2.  But I hear you, the price IS a bit offsetting for me as well making the Mojo and Poly combo cost around $1,250 which is about the price of a used Hugo (first gen.), interestingly.

Personally, I'm interested in the BT and SD input functionality.

CJ

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #29 of 51
Great to see Chord are extending the Mojo versatility and Hugo as well. Mojo is not necessarily a much lesser solution, btw. Don't be mislead by the big price difference.
I am intrigued by the four filter modes for the Hugo2 and suggest to add MQA capability to the Poly.

Thanks Chord for giving us all the exquisite DACs we have seen so far and looking forward to the new ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back