New Beyer DT1350
Apr 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,591 of 4,010
DT1350 as good as the HE-500? Nah... at least not out of the Lyr/Bifrost. I LOVE my 1350s, but comparing them to near-flagship orthos is just unfair... I do love having them at a cafe with my E17, but when I'm home it's all about HE-500/LCD-2. The reason I called them "Mini-HE-500s" was because of their transient response and resolution; not as good as the orthos but I was surprised to say the least in a very good way. Plus the tonal balance is just right for me
biggrin.gif

Edit: Just a year ago the LCD-2/HE-500 were in contention for world's best dynamic headphone, along side the HD800/HE-6. No doubt things have changed now and they're no longer in the conversation but still; it's going to be a while before sealed portables take them down. To be fair I have not heard them balanced, but given the smaller size of the drivers and enclosure, hard to imagine how they can be speaker-like, like the huge drivers of the orthos.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #1,592 of 4,010

Quote:
Whitney even gave the defective DT1350 a "highly recommended for people other than Whitney" rating.

As far as the hate, Whitney and I are equal opportunity haters. We hate Ultrasones, Grados, Denons, Audio-Technicas (except for maybe one), and Shures too.

^This is awesome. LMAO!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #1,593 of 4,010

Quote:

Right now I'm teetering on maybe using some black electrical tape to tape the black edges of the pads to the cups. I originally was thinking of using glue but I'm concerned it would look overly messy and take away from the cans overall sleek minimalist appearance. Anyone here try doing some A and B comparisons between the black HD25 pleather pads vs the velour pads and seeing if there's a difference in sound? I'm contemplating ordering a pair of black pads and maybe trying to make the pad mod more permanent with the tape I mentioned above.

I'm also thinking of making it more permanent by using double-sided tape and place over the dt1350 pleather pads so they're invisible. I'm just a bit worried on how long the velour pads will last though. For a subjective impressions of what the sound is like with the velour pads on top of the original pads, I find the treble to be slightly less "peaky" and the sound is slightly smoother. 

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,594 of 4,010
From lazy AB comparisons, velour pads are more comfortable.

cbb...

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,595 of 4,010
Well, for those that thought I went off the deep end with the EQ I don't think that is quite true. Well recorded music I have noticed more and more sounds fantastic with zero processing. But a decent amount of music doesn't quite fit in this category imo.

These can get quite uncomfy after a while that is for sure. Makes you want larger phones sometimes despite how incredible they sound.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,596 of 4,010
I've realised that simply putting the velour pads on top of the old pads make them too big and the cups become quite heavy. I tried removing the original pads, placed the round foam on the cup and simply stretched the velours around the cup. The result is much better, going back to a more minimalist look, and it's still comfortable. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,597 of 4,010
Can we have more pics?

Also aren't the HD25 pads bigger than the cup? How did you 'stretched' the velours around the cup?

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,599 of 4,010
zomg you are on this thread as well O.o"

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #1,600 of 4,010
I don't have access to a camera besides my phone (Blackberry Curve 8520), which is pretty bad. If I post pictures they won't really look clear at all. I'm hoping someone else who's done this would post how they did it though.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #1,601 of 4,010
Does this show what you are speaking about with the velour pads:

These are slipped over the OEM Beyer pads.  They will slipped off easily but since I have been putting them in the case upside down I have not had as many issues with them coming off.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #1,602 of 4,010
Yes, that was what I did at first. But I found them to be too big for me to be used around so I removed the stock Beyer pads to make it thinner. To protect the driver I placed the round foam when the old Beyer pads were glued, then I slipped the velours as usual and secured them with a black rubber band to prevent them from falling off.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #1,603 of 4,010

Quote:
I am very impressed so far and at their price point, I'd say just get'em Amos.
evil_smiley.gif
Portable, isolate very well, sound great and all for under $300. I like them quite a bit more than the HD25 II, but the Amperiors might be worth a look when they come out.

I will attempt to battle them off at some point. I need more headphones like I need a hole in the head though. Mind you, a better portable than my V80s to go with the DX100 would be welcome. I probably shouldn't be reading this thread while listening with 009s though. It doesn't encourage me. Nor my experiences with various Beyer cans in the last year.

Quote:
Quote:

I am very impressed so far and at their price point, I'd say just get'em 

Yes they will make you FAMOUS
ksc75smile.gif

Smart ass! 
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
I do feel that all this fawning over the DT1350 (in regards to mentioning them in the same breath of far superior headphones) is crazy. I mean what's next? Saying that a balanced DT1350 driven from an AGD amp has some of the tonal and transient response qualities of a STAX SR007? Someone really needs to make a DT1350 Appreciation Thread before I do.

Are you baiting me now? Wanna settle this out back? 
wink_face.gif

If only you guys could fly over to Tokyo sometime for one of the festivals. Would be great to have you all commenting on some of the gear here that isn't know on Head-Fi at all, and even the stuff that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back