New Beyer DT1350
Apr 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,576 of 4,010

Quote:
The dt1350 I heard was inferior to the he500 in every way except price.

Wasn't there something off with that unit Whitney? A good one, is pretty good. But we're comparing apples and oranges. I'm sure the HE-500 is the better sounding can, but being huge, heavy and open (and requiring a dedicated amp to sound its best), it's not ideal for portability. The DT1350s (and HD25 II, etc..) are meant for portable listening. As portable cans go though, they are the best I've heard yet.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,577 of 4,010
While I got used to the strong clamp of these, the longest I can wear them is 1 hour before my ears start to sore. 

Are there any comfort mods for them? I was thinking of adding some cotton to the inside of the pads as "stuffing" to prop them up a bit. I'm also trying to get a pair of velour pads from the sennheiser hd-25 and see what I can do with them. I do wish the pads were stretched around the cup to be secured like the ATH-M50 and not just glued there to make things a lot easier.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,578 of 4,010

Quote:
I FOUND THE SPOT TONIGHT!!!

Quote:
Congratulations, pretty soon it will be natural to just lock them into place :)

Quote:

Congratulations to you and your wife!
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Wonder if it was balanced or single ended?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Quote:
I'm sure your wife was even happier!!  
tongue.gif

Quote:

Whoa there tiger, keep that in the bedroom...

tongue_smile.gif
 I swear it was not intended that way

But wow after using the hd25 velour pads on them and by practise, I think I've finally found the right spot... But I need to practise more. *cough*

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,579 of 4,010
Hey guys,

You completely misinterpreted my comparison.  I know that the HE-500 blows the panties off the DT1350, and I hear that in my system too. I'm using the HE-500 has a neutral reference set of headphones to drawn general conclusions about the DT1350's sound characteristics.  Its hard to just lay out comparisons where comparing it to... nothing.  

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #1,581 of 4,010

Quote:
Were just giving you guys a hard time 
smile.gif

I noticed, any particular reason why you and Whitney hate Bayerdynamic so much? I've seen both of you guys on other threads and noticed you're both quite amiable elsewhere.

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,582 of 4,010
That's not true! 
smile.gif

I like the non-defective DT1350s and would easily take one over the HD25-i-xyz-2-15-3-4-ii-x or whatever Sennheiser calls it. Whitney even gave the defective DT1350 a "highly recommended for people other than Whitney" rating. I'm sure he would actually like the non-defective DT1350 because it's got a rather warm signature with tonal similarities to some of the AKGs that he likes.

I do feel that all this fawning over the DT1350 (in regards to mentioning them in the same breath of far superior headphones) is crazy. I mean what's next? Saying that a balanced DT1350 driven from an AGD amp has some of the tonal and transient response qualities of a STAX SR007? Someone really needs to make a DT1350 Appreciation Thread before I do.

As far as the hate, Whitney and I are equal opportunity haters. We hate Ultrasones, Grados, Denons, Audio-Technicas (except for maybe one), and Shures too.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #1,583 of 4,010
How many people that are saying that is ludacris to compare the DT1350 to HE6 have actually listened to the DT rewired in a balanced configuration via an iBasso PB2 balanced amp with HiFlight opamp kits? Unless you can answer yes to this question then you have absolutely no credibility to discount my findings.

It is a big call. And of course the HE6 does win. It is still my fave can short of a high end stax but the DT does do surprisingly well in comparison.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #1,584 of 4,010
Well, I've heard the DT1350 out a much better source and amp, and it doesn't come close to the HE6, either in tone, cohesiveness, or transient response. Just another opinion. My experience is that the HE6 scales more with better equipment.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #1,585 of 4,010
I have no doubt that the HE6 will scale way better than the Beyers but with Bifrost/Lyr and Amperex orange globe tubes versus the balanced pb2/CLAS rig it is closer that you would think.

When I first started on my journey of portable rigs I never thought that portable would come close to my HE6 rig. Now i am at the point where I use my portable rig even when at home a lot of the time. The treble is better on the HE6 but is a thickness of texture on the Beyers that makes them really enjoyable to listen to. The bass on my JH16 is better on my portable but they don't have the sparkle or sense of space that the Beyers have. The JH never seem to miss and detail it is just that the treble is so smooth that you don't notice it as much.

Either way...if someone wants to find a budget can that can be transformed into something special then grab yourself some DT1350. They walk all over my Vmoda m80's and I quite liked those.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #1,586 of 4,010
Comfort at last!

I managed to get some velour pads off my friend because he uses the pleather pads for his hd-25-iis. I just placed them right over the pleather pads of the dt1350 (Took me quite a long time). I can't really comment about sonic changes, but I love my dt1350s even more. :)

If anyone has comfort problems, I really suggest getting a pair of sennheiser hd-25 velour pads and just fit them right over. 

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,587 of 4,010
I'm thinking should i glue/sticky tape the velour pads over the dt1350, or should i try the pleather ones too and compare... But I'm feeling lazy atm because I'm hunting a pair of MDR SA-?000

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,589 of 4,010

Quote:
That's not true! 
smile.gif

I like the non-defective DT1350s and would easily take one over the HD25-i-xyz-2-15-3-4-ii-x or whatever Sennheiser calls it. Whitney even gave the defective DT1350 a "highly recommended for people other than Whitney" rating. I'm sure he would actually like the non-defective DT1350 because it's got a rather warm signature with tonal similarities to some of the AKGs that he likes.

I do feel that all this fawning over the DT1350 (in regards to mentioning them in the same breath of far superior headphones) is crazy. I mean what's next? Saying that a balanced DT1350 driven from an AGD amp has some of the tonal and transient response qualities of a STAX SR007? Someone really needs to make a DT1350 Appreciation Thread before I do.

As far as the hate, Whitney and I are equal opportunity haters. We hate Ultrasones, Grados, Denons, Audio-Technicas (except for maybe one), and Shures too.

Well gee at least you're distributing your headphone discrimination equally amongst all other manufactures. As for the fawning you do realize you'll always get the odd fan boy who will come in here post whatever silliness strikes his fancy and run. Be thankful this isn't an Apple or Android enthusiast site. If it was then you would really see some runaway fawning bordering on insane.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,590 of 4,010

Quote:
Comfort at last!

I managed to get some velour pads off my friend because he uses the pleather pads for his hd-25-iis. I just placed them right over the pleather pads of the dt1350 (Took me quite a long time). I can't really comment about sonic changes, but I love my dt1350s even more. :)

If anyone has comfort problems, I really suggest getting a pair of sennheiser hd-25 velour pads and just fit them right over. 

Right now I'm teetering on maybe using some black electrical tape to tape the black edges of the pads to the cups. I originally was thinking of using glue but I'm concerned it would look overly messy and take away from the cans overall sleek minimalist appearance. Anyone here try doing some A and B comparisons between the black HD25 pleather pads vs the velour pads and seeing if there's a difference in sound? I'm contemplating ordering a pair of black pads and maybe trying to make the pad mod more permanent with the tape I mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back