New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 18, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #8,943 of 11,305
Yesterday I received an R8HE with 10 MHz clock input and, I am already loving it, even when not broken in, and without using my DI-20HE (now at Magna Hifi for conversion of the WCLK output to 75 Ohm).

PCM is better than I ever heard it (and I came from a Holo Spring 3 Level 2).

There is one issue however: everything plays well except for DSD128 and higher via USB. There is a light crackle (like wood fire) in the left channel. This crackle often continues after stopping the track.

I tried many HQPlayer settings (filters, modulators, 24bit, 32bit, 48 DSD etc.) and reflashed the DAC's Amanero board a few times (now using CPLD_1081_DSDSWAPPED, 2006be11). The problem remains, regardless of HQP's convolution and DirectSDM.

I tried with 2 streamers, SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo and an RPi4 running GentooPlayer (both with NAA), which did not make a difference.

There is no problem when HQP outputs PCM or DSD64, and neither when using the I2S input from a stand alone source (SD player).

Any ideas?
I’m using a similar configuration with an Allo USBridge running PiCoreNAA and then feeding my R8HE (2021 upgrade) via USB.
This works flawlessly up to PCM384 and DSD512, however it doesn’t support 48kDSD multiples, therefore if you want to upsample 48k based PCM to DSD you’ll have to force it to a multiple of 44.1k And have a beefy HQPLAYER server to compute it seamlessly.
Ensure as well your Ethernet flow-control is enable all along the network chain, this is a must for DSD512 from HQPLAYER to the NAA.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #8,945 of 11,305
I’m using a similar configuration with an Allo USBridge running PiCoreNAA and then feeding my R8HE (2021 upgrade) via USB.
This works flawlessly up to PCM384 and DSD512, however it doesn’t support 48kDSD multiples, therefore if you want to upsample 48k based PCM to DSD you’ll have to force it to a multiple of 44.1k And have a beefy HQPLAYER server to compute it seamlessly.
Ensure as well your Ethernet flow-control is enable all along the network chain, this is a must for DSD512 from HQPLAYER to the NAA.
Thanks. Does this mean I have to check '48k DSD' in the HQPlayer settings?
Ethernet flow is Rx and Tx enabled on the NIC.

The crackle in the left channel when playing DSD via USB into the R8HE is back, regardless of the original file format (44 or 48 family) before conversion by HQPlayer. Today I get my DI-20HE back, so I hope that will solve it (as I2S seems to work fine).

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #8,946 of 11,305
Now with the DI-20HE between the SOtM sMS-200 SE and the R8HE (all three with clock input) all is well again. No more crackles with DSD256.
P S I was too hasty: the crackles are back even with USB --> DI-20HE --> I2S --> R8HE :-|

I am trying to understand... I suppose the OS settings on the DAC (O2, O4 and O8) are not to be used with DSD? I noticed that of the two NOS settings, I like N1 better than N0 with DSD. Any idea what N1 does differently?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #8,947 of 11,305
Maybe the Audio-gd gear is not the problem.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #8,949 of 11,305
As it is, it seems you are upsampling PCM and transcoding to DSD256? If you could play native DSD256 over USB to the R8HE and reproduce the problem it would be easier to understand.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #8,950 of 11,305
As it is, it seems you are upsampling PCM and transcoding to DSD256? If you could play native DSD256 over USB to the R8HE and reproduce the problem it would be easier to understand.

I just played native DSD64 over USB and I2S to the R8HE and in both cases crackle... The problem is intermittent, but 90% of the time exists.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #8,951 of 11,305
I just played native DSD64 over USB and I2S to the R8HE and in both cases crackle... The problem is intermittent, but 90% of the time exists.
Sorry to hear this :frowning2: But I am sure Kingwa can fix it.

I play a lot of SACD rips over foobar and I don't have any noise on my R8 MK2 (non HE version). This should definitely not be happening for you.

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #8,952 of 11,305
Sorry to hear this :frowning2: But I am sure Kingwa can fix it.

I play a lot of SACD rips over foobar and I don't have any noise on my R8 MK2 (non HE version). This should definitely not be happening for you.

Thanks. Maybe it is a firmware thing. I will await Kingwa's answer, and in the meantime it will be PCM bliss :)

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #8,953 of 11,305
For HQP, you’ll need in any case to uncheck the 48k SDM box, as our DAC’s FW doesn’t implement it so far (confirmed by Kingwa).
on the other hand, it sounds like you have a deeper issue, so I would first try a new FW flash in case of, as I could remember a time where for any reasons a new FW flash didn’t apply correctly and I had a quite similar behavior of my DAC, which could be easily solved by a new flash ultimately, and if after the FW reprog it still behaves wrongly then I would send it for an in-depth check…

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #8,954 of 11,305
For HQP, you’ll need in any case to uncheck the 48k SDM box, as our DAC’s FW doesn’t implement it so far (confirmed by Kingwa).
on the other hand, it sounds like you have a deeper issue, so I would first try a new FW flash in case of, as I could remember a time where for any reasons a new FW flash didn’t apply correctly and I had a quite similar behavior of my DAC, which could be easily solved by a new flash ultimately, and if after the FW reprog it still behaves wrongly then I would send it for an in-depth check…

Thanks. As to the firmware, I assume I would need R2721M21_1013 ? I will await Kingwa's answer first though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back