New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 14, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #2,026 of 11,305
well said. The R2R7 is far from being my weekest link. I thought pretty highly of my STX build until I plugged this in a couple hours ago. This is my first time using the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX Converter with a standard 24pin ITX board. The HDPLEX converter is WAY more ballsy and dynamic than laptop type motherboards with that circuitry built in (NUC, STX, thin mini-ITX). During playback temps are around 37c and cpu is around 2%. I need to build one of these for me, but with HDPlex's taller case to accommodate a pink faun. My system will be sounding exceptional this week, and then I have to start returning the stuff that isn't mine (computer, F1, graphene spdif)

The HD-plex 400W (LPSU) is the real deal. It is the newest product and is very lovely :). That build above look pretty clean and neat.

These new passive heatsink design are very efficient. I am running slightly OC and is still sitting at 43C, if I stream internet stuff, it is around 48C for CPU. IMO, anything under 60C is excellent.

I like HD-plex LPSU a lot, their chassis look awesome, but it was out of stock, so I used Streacom

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #2,027 of 11,305
The HD-plex 400W (LPSU) is the real deal

But being your first build in 10 years, you went all in at once with the 400watt LPS, 400watt converter, and pink faun, so can you really asses the individual benefits?

In my case I've been using the same 200watt LPS with several builds and the major change in this last build was the addition of this $95 module, which claims to be more efficient than relying on a PICO PSU converter (or in my case what's built into some motherboards). This thing is a way bigger improvement than when I moved from the 100 to 200watt LPS
upload_2018-6-14_8-3-39.png

(just saying - your using it to and gave it no mention)

also, I'm only getting these temps cause I'm using a 35watt intel -- your bigger case likely dissipates better but your using a 65watt intel?
(and it that respect we're both using an LPS that is about 6x or TDP)

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2,028 of 11,305
Wilma is very good audio capacitors, ELna capacitors that is being used in the 400W is also a real deal :). What made me go straight to HD-Plex is that it is using R-Core Transformers and Audio quality components. Love the way they are doing it.

Check it out, their specs here
https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-400w-atx-linear-power-supply-with-modular-atx-output.html

Also, I will have to mention that the Asus Strix board that I am using is using very high quality on the multi-phase Regulator rails. These little components are of high precision from Vishay, which is also another brand that I love very much.

Trust me, I care a lot about audio quality and so on. Just there is no point to list them all out here.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,030 of 11,305
wow Asus uses Vishay?? It's common to see a mobo tout military grade components, but Vishay is some serious bragging rights!
I know right ? This one does use Vishay . You can follow this throughout detailed review here, and I took the Mb apart to verify this as well.

Quote:
The MOSFETs are the Vishay SiRA14 and SiRA12 as the high-side and low-side MOSFETs. The memory VRM is a single phase made up of Vishay SiRA14 MOSFETs and a Richtek RT8125 single-phase PWM controller

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8533/asus-rog-strix-z370-gaming-wi-fi-ac-intel-review/index3.html

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,031 of 11,305
Jun 16, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,040 of 11,305
Oh, about the popping noise. I have 0 popping noise since I am using my I2S ? Also, Jriver is so good! I upsample 44.1 into 192khz, and there are performances to gain, better edges resolutions and more dynamic slams!
Yes. The upsampling on the r2r 7 works well with dithering on for me but izotope can do better with tweaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back