New Audeze LCD3
Aug 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #8,056 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what the 'veiled' sound is....mine are from Dec 2012 and I don't experience any dullness or lack of clarity. The official date of the update of before and after 'veiled' is before mine. I hope yours is an abnormality and Audeze finds something to correct so you can enjoy them.

So do I, I was quite excited when I received them and I have to say that they sounded great when I first listened to them but then I wanted them to. It was only after the initial listen that the disappointment grew I started to notice the lack of clarity or sparkle at the top and going back to my GS1000's or T1's really highlighted the issue. I'm pretty sure the detail is there but it's right in the distance. I really hope Audeze can resolve the problem and return a pair of phones that sparkle otherwise I'll be moving them on again and that will be the end of my Audeze experience.

I just received my LCD-3's and only listening now for about an hour BUT my first impressions are they sound remarkably similar to my Senn 650's.  Sure, more extended BUT not much.  The "Sparkle" that I find with my HiFiman HE-500 is missing.  Is this the "house sound" of Audeze or what?

amp? source?

MAC Book USB/Pure Music with iTunes lossless with Grace m903 or LD MKIVSE (very underrated)  so far.  I'll move to my WA6SE and Benchmark DAC2 HGC later tonight which should add a touch of "sparkle".

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #8,057 of 11,521
Quote:
MAC Book USB/Pure Music with iTunes lossless with Grace m903 or LD MKIVSE (very underrated)  so far.  I'll move to my WA6SE and Benchmark DAC2 HGC later tonight which should add a touch of "sparkle".

Yeah, the LCD-3s and tubes aren't the best pairing unless it's a very special tube amp. The LD MKIVSE is nice for the price, but IMO not the solution for the LCD-3s.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #8,058 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, the LCD-3s and tubes aren't the best pairing unless it's a very special tube amp. The LD MKIVSE is nice for the price, but IMO not the solution for the LCD-3s.

A much better match is the Benchmark internal headphone amp.  This is more like it!  Woo not so much. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #8,059 of 11,521
Quote:
Let's hope so, the cost and problems of shipping back to Audeze are a disadvantage when buying in Europe, let alone the potential complications of customs at both ends. I found the shipping and customs paperwork quite confusing it's not really geared to return faulty goods for repair and that's a real unnecessary pain if the product is faulty when manufactured.

You mean buying _used_ ones..

If you don't want trouble, buy from local store or reputable EU seller which handle warranty if needed.

Standard parcel should't even cost much over $60 like here.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #8,060 of 11,521
You mean buying _used_ ones..

If you don't want trouble, buy from local store or reputable EU seller which handle warranty if needed.

Standard parcel should't even cost much over $60 like here.

It seems to me that it should make no difference whether they are new or pre owned assuming they have been looked after and you would hope they will have been at this price point, the warranty covers them for three years regardless. As I seem to remember reading earlier, the warranty covers the headphones not the owner and there have been examples of failed drivers and veiled phones with new products nothing to do with them being used so I don't see how you can be attracting additional "trouble" by buying used. Buying in the EU is no problem nor is exchange between EU countries if you do buy used, postage between countries is reasonable. But regardless of how or where you buy them if they are faulty they have to go back to the US and with the current deal Audeze do not pay the postage on the way out, tracked postage with the correct insurance cover cost me $141.00 with FedEx and that was slightly cheaper than others, it's possible you might be able to reclaim this from the dealer, I don't know but throughout this thread there have been quite a few in the States who have mentioned having to cover the cost of return themselves along with the benefit of dealing with Audeze directly. Anyway they are there now, I'll cross my fingers that they are returned with a greater degree of sparkle.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #8,061 of 11,521
Quote:

I just received my LCD-3's and only listening now for about an hour BUT my first impressions are they sound remarkably similar to my Senn 650's.  Sure, more extended BUT not much.  The "Sparkle" that I find with my HiFiman HE-500 is missing.  Is this the "house sound" of Audeze or what?

Hello and congs for your LCD-3's,

I've posted a message comparing my HD-650 (that I still own and don't want to sell) and LCD-3 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread/705

For me, that's a huge difference enough to be fully satisfied with my purchase and the price tag, and as one says: YMMV.

Cheers !

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #8,062 of 11,521
Quote:
But regardless of how or where you buy them if they are faulty they have to go back to the US and with the current deal Audeze do not pay the postage on the way out, tracked postage with the correct insurance cover cost me $141.00 with FedEx

Well.. insured FedEx is what it is, if you choose to use it. Nevertheless, if you purchase from a reputable dealer, they _will_ handle the shipping for you and reimburse sending back to them. So yes, it's different buying used ones, since no shop is liable to handle those (unless they are very generous with original receipt..).

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #8,063 of 11,521
Im very happy with lcd-3 and wa6-se (with 596 tube)

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #8,066 of 11,521
That's...affordable. How's it sound and how much $ for tubes and stuff?

I think new wa6-se + 596 + 6fd7 (best with lcd-3 imo) would be about $1400

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #8,067 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:

Hello and congs for your LCD-3's,

I've posted a message comparing my HD-650 (that I still own and don't want to sell) and LCD-3 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread/705

For me, that's a huge difference enough to be fully satisfied with my purchase and the price tag, and as one says: YMMV.

Cheers !

Thanks for the informative post.  I've been listening quite intently over the last couple of days (as I should with this extravagant purchase!) and the obvious has come to light.  The LCD-3's are highly dependent upon amplifier choice.  I've found my Benchmark DAC2 to be the most preferred.  I've eliminated my tube amps from consideration (suited more towards Grado's, HE-500).  The "sparkle" is there with a solid state amp and even the Schiit Asgard 2 does an admirable job.  Yes, I think I've made a good choice with the LCD-3, smooth, balanced, extended, and neutral.  The most balanced and extended headphone I've heard to date.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #8,068 of 11,521
Quote:
Thanks for the informative post.  I've been listening quite intently over the last couple of days (as I should with this extravagant purchase!) and the obvious has come to light.  The LCD-3's are highly dependent upon amplifier choice.  I've found my Benchmark DAC2 to be the most preferred.  I've eliminated my tube amps from consideration (suited more towards Grado's, HE-500).  The "sparkle" is there with a solid state amp and even the Schiit Asgard 2 does an admirable job.  Yes, I think I've made a good choice with the LCD-3, smooth, balanced, extended, and neutral.  The most balanced and extended headphone I've heard to date.

You're welcome.  I'm happy that you notice an improvement with some amps, and finally enjoy the Audeze.

I cannot realize how much I would have liked them on another amp because I've purchased the Burson Soloist right before the LCD-3, knowing that I wanted them.  And as some reviewers say that the Soloist is a very good pairing with the LCD-3, I guess that's why I don't complain about their sound.

I'm listening to Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor (FLAC of course) right now and the sound is wonderfully neutral with incredible treble extension (not that much deep bass on this album).  The song "Rydeen" is really lively to listen to on this combo (Soloist / LCD-3).

Cheers and welcome to our bigger and bigger club !
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #8,069 of 11,521
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how much time did you have to wait, from the moment of purchasing it till the moment they shipped it to you? =o

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #8,070 of 11,521
Quote:
I think new wa6-se + 596 + 6fd7 (best with lcd-3 imo) would be about $1400

Would the WA6-SE and LCD-3 work with my Rega DAC until I upgrade or would I have to buy a new DAC from the get go? Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back