New Audeze LCD3
Aug 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #8,086 of 11,521
Actually I have Q french silk ( XLR ) for my LCD-2, I'm not sure it I'd say it adds sparkle, but it does refine the upper frequencies.

It's not so much a matter of refining the upper frequencies as they are fine already, I'd like them to sing a little more. I guess I'm looking for that extra 5% that changes the sound from pretty good to "WOW".

It's back to tweaking Then!

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #8,087 of 11,521
Quote:
My left channel just stopped working. Thinking it is a driver failure. Emailed them yesterday but no response yet. We shall see. Audio nirvana interruptus!

I like the LCD-3 sound but this is why I keep stopping myself from ordering a pair. I understand sporadic failures in the field but these are too common for an expensive set. I know they stand behind their product and provide good service but that is not the point. 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #8,089 of 11,521
Quote:

I like the LCD-3 sound but this is why I keep stopping myself from ordering a pair. I understand sporadic failures in the field but these are too common for an expensive set. I know they stand behind their product and provide good service but that is not the point. 

I know it's not the point your making.  However, it is good to have their great customer service to fall back on.  

Just trying to find the good out of bad QC

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #8,090 of 11,521

Just so we're clear, what is the point? You find LCD-3's too much of a risk, meaning you'll give up listening to them so you don't have to live with the risk of having to have them repaired/replaced? Or is it that you reserve your consumption for companies/products that scale their pricing to the risk of failure? If there is another heaphone you enjoy as much as LCD-3's, that might give you better peace of mind?

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8,091 of 11,521
If people find the LCD-3s a risk, definitely don't try Stax SR009s. :))

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #8,092 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:

This.

-Daniel

i think y'all are missing out. I spent 5 months last year buying (used, here) and trying a slew of high end cans. the effort and cost to get the lcd3s repaired was minimal(way less work than all that auditioning and reselling) and for me their amazing sound quality more than well worth their cost (i paid $1625) and the slight hassle to get the new drivers put in by Audeze. It is the best customer service experience I've had with any company and left me feeling totally secure in the fact that should another issue arise I will not be left hanging in the wind. These cans are the shazamm if you're into any kind of electrically produced music (and they aren't exactly shabby with acoustic stuff also).    

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #8,093 of 11,521
Quote:
If people find the LCD-3s a risk, definitely don't try Stax SR009s. :))

Was about to the same.  And when the 009 has an issue, expect to bring in a replacement because you aren't seeing it again for months :p

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #8,094 of 11,521
The main problem is if you want to invest into high-end equipment, you expect it to last at least a year or few years. Obviously any equipment can fail but it is evident that the LCD-3 has a high failure rate and if you do indeed love the sound of the 3s, you would want them to last a long time.
If we put this into perspective, I have vintage gear that is over 35 years old (Stax, etc) that works great. I wonder about owning the LCD-3 for a few years and the warranty has passed, what's the likelihood it would fail on me at any given time?

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #8,095 of 11,521
Yeah, with regards to headphone longevity vs warranty, I'd very much rather own headphones that last forever when handled with care, but have fairly limited warranty, than headphones that have substantial failure rates with good replacement warranty service.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #8,096 of 11,521
Quote:
The main problem is if you want to invest into high-end equipment, you expect it to last at least a year or few years. Obviously any equipment can fail but it is evident that the LCD-3 has a high failure rate and if you do indeed love the sound of the 3s, you would want them to last a long time.
If we put this into perspective, I have vintage gear that is over 35 years old (Stax, etc) that works great. I wonder about owning the LCD-3 for a few years and the warranty has passed, what's the likelihood it would fail on me at any given time?

This. I am also scared about driver failure or something like that after the 3 years has passed. For $2000, I really hope my set can last long.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #8,097 of 11,521
Quote:

Was about to the same.  And when the 009 has an issue, expect to bring in a replacement because you aren't seeing it again for months :p

Is this a Stax thing in general or a SR-009 problem? Not planning on getting a Stax anytime soon...but then again I wasn't planning on getting a LCD-3 either.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #8,098 of 11,521
Quote:

This. I am also scared about driver failure or something like that after the 3 years has passed. For $2000, I really hope my set can last long.  

Let's face it, you are talking about a somewhat boutique item. Most people's cars lose value more than $2000 in a year. I don't go buying a Ferrari even if I could theoretically barely pay it. 
biggrin.gif

And seriously, even if in the future they don't yet again extend the warranty, how much are new drivers going to cost anyway? I doubt they are going to slap some $500 fee for it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #8,099 of 11,521
Quote:
Is this a Stax thing in general or a SR-009 problem? Not planning on getting a Stax anytime soon...but then again I wasn't planning on getting a LCD-3 either.

Took about two months there and back for my 007 recable when it came off it's posts so to speak.

The LCD-3 is usually broken right out of the box or good for life in my experience.  Problem is my experience is 1 of 2 LCD-2 Rev1 failure, 0 of 2 LCD-2 Rev2 failure, 1 of 2 LCD-3 failure.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #8,100 of 11,521
Quote:

Took about two months there and back for my 007 recable when it came off it's posts so to speak.

The LCD-3 is usually broken right out of the box or good for life in my experience.  Problem is my experience is 1 of 2 LCD-2 Rev1 failure, 0 of 2 LCD-2 Rev2 failure, 1 of 2 LCD-3 failure.

Thanks for sharing about the Stax as a SR-007 is much more likely to happen than a SR-009. Wow that's a terrible failure rate. So far my LCD-3 is perfect that I got used. My LCD-2 which I also got used had cracked rings, but otherwise the driver worked fine. I'm also hoping that the LCD-3 stay intact for a long time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back