New Audeze LCD3
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #8,041 of 11,521
Quote:

Top is LCD2 Bamboo (Closed). Mid is LCD3 Rose Wood (Closed). Bottom LCD3 (Open) Still prefer the look compared to the top 2.

Yea I've seen those pics before. So nothing else came out besides those two?

Also, totally agree with LCD-3 open being the best looker. The LCD-2 bamboo closed back looks terrible. The red one is getting there.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #8,042 of 11,521
I'm not sure what the 'veiled' sound is....mine are from Dec 2012 and I don't experience any dullness or lack of clarity. The official date of the update of before and after 'veiled' is before mine. I hope yours is an abnormality and Audeze finds something to correct so you can enjoy them.

So do I, I was quite excited when I received them and I have to say that they sounded great when I first listened to them but then I wanted them to. It was only after the initial listen that the disappointment grew I started to notice the lack of clarity or sparkle at the top and going back to my GS1000's or T1's really highlighted the issue. I'm pretty sure the detail is there but it's right in the distance. I really hope Audeze can resolve the problem and return a pair of phones that sparkle otherwise I'll be moving them on again and that will be the end of my Audeze experience.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #8,043 of 11,521
Quote:
Hi Guys, I'm new to this thread but have recently purchased a used pair of LCD3's from a another Head-Fi member in Europe, I'm UK based. There was a lot of reading and considering went on before I took the plunge and made the purchase, used they might be but they were still expensive. Initially I thought wow what a full on sound but then the more I listened the less I enjoyed them, I thought the top was dull and lacked clarity, very recessed, they lacked pizazz, a bit like a door needed opening to let the rest of the sound out. They are of Feb 12 vintage with a 231 S/N, I sure hope that this is the veil that has been discussed and not the house sound as it's not for me. I have mailed Audeze and as everyone says they have been very helpfull so I have RMA'd them back to the States at a cost of $141, no small fee! I'll post the outcome.

231*** serial number seems to suggest you have a 'vieled' version - I think all the corrected/newer units are 261*** SNs..... so you should have a pair of pretty sweet headphones when they come back fixed :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #8,044 of 11,521
231*** serial number seems to suggest you have a 'vieled' version - I think all the corrected/newer units are 261*** SNs..... so you should have a pair of pretty sweet headphones when they come back fixed :)

Let's hope so, the cost and problems of shipping back to Audeze are a disadvantage when buying in Europe, let alone the potential complications of customs at both ends. I found the shipping and customs paperwork quite confusing it's not really geared to return faulty goods for repair and that's a real unnecessary pain if the product is faulty when manufactured.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #8,045 of 11,521
Quote:

Why would you not want a headphone being more comfy and/or easier/less selective to amp? 
confused.gif

Maby I'm crazy but:

I've found the headphone that's the pickiest and or hardest to drive are the headphone I like the most:  ie...  HE-6, HD800, LCD-3, HE-5LE, HE-4.  I like the HE-500s as well, some might consider them hard to drive - I don't.

I just found these particular headphones able to scale higher than the rest.  

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #8,046 of 11,521
Quote:

Maby I'm crazy but:

I've found the headphone that's the pickiest and or hardest to drive are the headphone I like the most:  ie...  HE-6, HD800, LCD-3, HE-5LE, HE-4.  I like the HE-500s as well, some might consider them hard to drive - I don't.

+1

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #8,047 of 11,521
Quote:

Maby I'm crazy but:

Agree. Suggest you try SR007s MKI next, unless you've already been there. :)

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #8,049 of 11,521
I got good results with both LCD-3 and Denon AH-D2000 with BHA-1. A bit aggressive with BDA-2 but almost perfectly neutral with Arcam D33. The BHA-1 seems promising. I guess the TH-900s will also pair quite nicely as the D2000 worked well.

EDIT: Also, everything hooked up to one of those PS Audio power plants/conditioners and some fancy interconnects.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #8,050 of 11,521
Be a little careful of those PS Audio power regenerators. I tried a PS300 on my Stax SR007/007t amp some years back 
and it made it run extremely hot with the tubes growing much brighter and it made it sound very bright, piercing, and fatiguing.
I sent it back to PS Audio for a refund.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #8,051 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what the 'veiled' sound is....mine are from Dec 2012 and I don't experience any dullness or lack of clarity. The official date of the update of before and after 'veiled' is before mine. I hope yours is an abnormality and Audeze finds something to correct so you can enjoy them.

So do I, I was quite excited when I received them and I have to say that they sounded great when I first listened to them but then I wanted them to. It was only after the initial listen that the disappointment grew I started to notice the lack of clarity or sparkle at the top and going back to my GS1000's or T1's really highlighted the issue. I'm pretty sure the detail is there but it's right in the distance. I really hope Audeze can resolve the problem and return a pair of phones that sparkle otherwise I'll be moving them on again and that will be the end of my Audeze experience.

I just received my LCD-3's and only listening now for about an hour BUT my first impressions are they sound remarkably similar to my Senn 650's.  Sure, more extended BUT not much.  The "Sparkle" that I find with my HiFiman HE-500 is missing.  Is this the "house sound" of Audeze or what?

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #8,054 of 11,521
Where they differ is the LCD-3 is so much faster, with better clarity and focus assuming the amp is as well.  I love the LCD-3 on the Soloist, Peak and GS-X but not the Mjolnir, B22 or LF.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #8,055 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just received my LCD-3's and only listening now for about an hour BUT my first impressions are they sound remarkably similar to my Senn 650's.  Sure, more extended BUT not much.  The "Sparkle" that I find with my HiFiman HE-500 is missing.  Is this the "house sound" of Audeze or what?

amp? source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back