New Audeze LCD3
Nov 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,711 of 11,521

Quote:
The differences seem more apparent to me switching back to the LCD-2s. I did the 2-ply mod and am having a hard time finding fault with what I'm hearing. They now have an almost Stax-like "This is what the treble is meant to sound like" presentation. It does take me putting on the 009s to notice what I'm missing. The 009s showed clearly the texture of instrument notes that was missing with the LCD-2s, but this texture is now apparent with the LCD-3s.

I'm glad you tried it. I know it's not to everyone's tastes, after all, this is Audeze's house sound we are altering. With the mods, I find the LCD3 to be much more "technically" capable while still retaining it's musicality.  Audeze should have provided two versions this the LCD3 to satisfy a larger audience.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,712 of 11,521

I think the LCD2 is a better match, but YMMV.
Quote:
well you can match the zebrawood
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,713 of 11,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm glad you tried it. I know it's not to everyone's tastes, after all, this is Audeze's house sound we are altering. With the mods, I find the LCD3 to be much more "technically" capable while still retaining it's musicality.  Audeze should have provided two versions this the LCD3 to satisfy a larger audience.

Glad you find your sound. Every body can be very happy now
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,715 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:
The differences seem more apparent to me switching back to the LCD-2s. I did the 2-ply mod and am having a hard time finding fault with what I'm hearing. They now have an almost Stax-like "This is what the treble is meant to sound like" presentation. It does take me putting on the 009s to notice what I'm missing. The 009s showed clearly the texture of instrument notes that was missing with the LCD-2s, but this texture is now apparent with the LCD-3s.

Definitely agree with the first point. They are possibly the best all-round capable headphones I can recall owning or trying. What I hope they do is make a model along the lines of the vintage orthos with a small driver for a consumer-friendly price.  Hifiman may be closer to having that market covered now though since they lowered their prices.

By the way, I've posted a review here.

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,716 of 11,521
But the cheaper Hifiman's aren't very well balanced so I hear.  And Hifiman won't be making small driver orthos because they told me that with a smaller driver you might as well go traditional dynamic. 
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused_face.gif
  (edited because it needed more smileys)

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,719 of 11,521

Quote:

I actually agree. To me they sound very disappointing in their stock form but with a little TP, they become much better...especially in the bass department. It really sucks when you have to mod a $2.2k headphone to get good sound out of it but once modded, they are outstanding!

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,720 of 11,521

Quote:
I actually agree. To me they sound very disappointing in their stock form but with a little TP, they become much better...especially in the bass department. It really sucks when you have to mod a $2.2k headphone to get good sound out of it but once modded, they are outstanding!

I will have to try the Toilet Paper mod if I keep the LCD-3, I don't what Audeze to tell me they will not refund 85% of my money because of this mod. But still I feel stupid paying $2000 for a headphone that I have to mod with Toilet Paper.

I dare you guys to tell your boss and or wife about paying $2000 for a headphone that you have to mod with Toilet Paper so it sounds good.

Does anybody have a idea on how to relieve the clamping presser that is applied to my temple with the LCD-3.???

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,724 of 11,521
Do you think Charmin one-ply would give it more treble sparkle, or would that require two-ply?

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,725 of 11,521
Assuming Charmin is thicker, denser, and more gentle on the opposite end of the digestive tract, two-ply would be required to give it more sparkle than the two-ply Kirkland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back