New Audeze LCD3
Nov 22, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #1,696 of 11,521

Quote:
So far imo when the LCD-3 is at its best it beats the HE6, but because of its inconstancy's so far I find that to be a real problem with the LCD-3.

I agree with you as to the LCD-3s dramatic scaling-up with certain equipment but have found it to be all around superior to the HE-6 so far. Note, I have only spent about 3 hours thus far witht he headphones as it's a friend's pair. I have thus far used it with a Meridian 808.3, Moon 750D and a Burson 160D as sources. The amps I have tried so far are the Woo WA6se, Littledot Mk6+, Schiit Lyr (6bz7s), Apex Peak/volcano and the 160D's amp section. I managed to compare it to the HE-6, LCD-2 rev 1, HD600 and HD800. However, the HD800 and LCD-2s only has single-ended cables so could not be used balanced on the Littledot Mk6+. I find that it beats the HE-6 on every aspect except on certain orchestral pieces in which I find the HE-6 still reproduces the air and sparkle of instruments better. Out of all the equipment present, I was surprised to find that my favourite combo was actually the Littledot Mk6+ with the LCD-3 balanced. Source was the Moon 750D. The air and sparkle of the Littledot's treble complemented the LCD-3 really well. One thing I noted about the LCD-3s is that even though they sound pretty great straight from the 160D, they really do scale up very impressively with the two (significantly) more expensive sources, with a huge difference in sound relative to the change observed over any of the other headphones. I'll be getting more time to listen to the LCD-3s over the coming week and will post further impressions later.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #1,697 of 11,521
Just got my pair of LCD-3s, and I'm listening to them through the 160D.  Initial impressions:

-Definitely a bit more laid back, less "in your face" or visceral as the LCD-2 r.2 at the same settings
-Clearer (not night and day, though noticeable); seems a bit effortless (no added sparkle or punch, yet faster speed and better detail)
-Placement and dimensionality definitely better (so far the most positive addition from the upgrade)
-Comfort definitely improved over r.2 (both headband and pads)

At this point, using the same equipment as before with the r.2, I can definitely say this is a great 'phone, though for me it's definitely not $1000 better.  Once I scale up, I'm sure the subtleties and dynamics will really shine.  They still sound amazing, and I'm really looking forward to maximizing their potential.

One last thing...in lieu of the TP mod, I simply placed both cloth and my hands in varying degrees over the ear cups, and viola, most (if not all) of that r.2 punch came roaring back.  purrin's definitely on to something if you're feeling adventurous.

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #1,698 of 11,521
Picky is goo, I have no problem with picky. I only listen to good recordings using this setup. The bad recordings and pop musics go to my ED8 and portable rig.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #1,699 of 11,521
The differences seem more apparent to me switching back to the LCD-2s. I did the 2-ply mod and am having a hard time finding fault with what I'm hearing. They now have an almost Stax-like "This is what the treble is meant to sound like" presentation. It does take me putting on the 009s to notice what I'm missing. The 009s showed clearly the texture of instrument notes that was missing with the LCD-2s, but this texture is now apparent with the LCD-3s.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #1,700 of 11,521
Listening to Chan Kit Lai (陳潔麗)with the LCD3 now. Ohhhhhh the creaminess........

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #1,701 of 11,521

Quote:
Listening to Chan Kit Lai (陳潔麗)with the LCD3 now. Ohhhhhh the creaminess........

LOL with or without the toilet paper
darthsmile.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #1,703 of 11,521
lol toilet paper..haha.. can we say just say tissue?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back