New ACS T1 Customs
Feb 17, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #91 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to take the plunge and order the T1's. I do most of my listening on the go so two pairs of customs ain't such a bad thing! I will go head to head with my UE11's when I get them. I will keep you posted on the customer service (UE's is exceptional), i am going to use the same audiologist so we shall see...

Hoho! You seem to be making a lot of money in these tough times as well.
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #93 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So any new impressions about the acs t1?
Greetings, Anouk,

i just received my set from ACS (along with their "updated" version of the T2), and need a couple weeks to settle into listening to their sound signature before really digging in, but i'll be publishing an in-depth review at about.com soon.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #95 of 118
Sigh... this is the only portable toy that I still want.
tongue.gif

P.s. Joe, what is the updated T2?

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #97 of 118
i'll need to dig a little deeper, but from what I know right now, they're experimenting with a new high/mid driver to improve upon the original design. i haven't had much time to listen to the new T2 since i've been trying to get my ears used to the T1 sound signature, but from what i can tell, it's got a wider high-end response and a little thicker mid-range from the previous model. it might be my ears playing tricks on me from switching around (plus, i got done mixing a client for a few days that used ue-10s so my ears were adjusted to those).

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #98 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The T1 has not been out that long but the option for a Neutrick connector was offered for people who wanted longer cabling. The standard length ones come with the connector from the suppliers. I only know this from talking to Andy at ACS when asking about longer cabling for my T2 - I have the black kevlar cable on mine
smile_phones.gif

So sourcing the connectors from Maplins is not an issue as far as I'm concerned they're still the same brand.

i have to tell you, i'm really jazzed about the new connector on the T1. my concern with these monitors in a road environment (being used for live sound applications) isn't the cable pulling out of the earpieces -- they're really, really robust and while it's happened, i'm pretty sure it's rare to see the cable come out of the earpiece -- but i'm sure a big problem is the connector at the end coming out. with the new neutrik connector, i can field-replace the connector in a matter of about 10 minutes.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #99 of 118
I am VERY interested in your impressions Joe, to put it mildly. I think in europe the direct competition goes between ue10 and acs t1. Of course there is the new es3x now too but in nl at least westone has no dealers and i found their european dealer to be very unresponsive, even though they have a dutch site. At least if someone will be able to compare acs t1 to ue10pro and then hopefully someone else ue10pro to westone es3x we will get some idea before spending all this cash on customs. I know that some lesser known companies do have a 1 week return policy if you are not satisfied with the custom iems (ohr und more) but I am not sure how other companies handle this.
I hope you will post in this thread when you post your review on about.com
Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #100 of 118
Oh I forgot this in my last post but I am also really interested in the differences in housing. I heard from davidmahler that he could not stand the hard accrylic shell of tue ue10 and headphoneaddict really liked the housing on the es3x which i think might be similar to the t1 housing(he also has livewires and freq but prefers the es3x housing).
Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #101 of 118
Quote:

Oh I forgot this in my last post but I am also really interested in the differences in housing. I heard from davidmahler that he could not stand the hard accrylic shell of tue ue10 and headphoneaddict really liked the housing on the es3x which i think might be similar to the t1 housing(he also has livewires and freq but prefers the es3x housing).
Greetings, Anouk,

By the way, T1 is using silicon so the comfort is excellent. You can wear for hours & still don't feel anything.

I thought the housing of the ES3X is still hard accrylic ? Only the tip is softer material as what I read.

I like the T1 is because of the presense & feel of the mid. It's very natural.
And I do not know whether the ES3X can delivered that. What I think is that the T1 sound is laid back while the ES3X is more forward ?

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #102 of 118
Quote:

Greetings, Anouk,

the ACS products are a full-silicone design. the earpiece is completely made of soft silicone, with the cable permanently sunk into the earpieces. they can take quite a bit of force, from what i've been told -- from a design standpoint i think it's +/- 50lb of force -- so i wouldn't worry too much about the cable being ripped out, necessitating an expensive repair.

most other competing products are made of an acrylic or acrylic-silicone hybrid. i know most manufacturers will add a silicone canal to an acrylic earpiece, or a full-silicone canal with a silicone-coated body (on the part that connects with the ear). personally, i find both designs equally susceptible to damage in road-worn environments (i've seen casing failure in every brand i've had my hands on, in my pro audio work).

casing reliability is, just like any other product, the end result of how the user treats the product, but also luck. i've seen a UE-made earpiece fall off an artist's cord while taking a dive off-stage to crowd surf, and once retrieved from the crowd, it was just like-new in condition; the same type of monitor took a drop off a console and was crushed when the weight of it's own case came down on top of it.

the only product to ever fail while in casual use, for me, was the livewires -- i had one of the first units, and i believe it was a minor (very minor, actually) lab error that resulted in one of the faceplates coming off when i went to remove it from my ear. this in no way, in my opinion, reflects poorly on their build quality, which i believe to be just as high as any product in their class.

comfort-wise, i find that with good fitting by your audiologist, either silicone or acrylic will work out fine. i personally prefer the silicone for comfort's sake, but the difference between a well-fitted acrylic and the silicone is minimal. isolation is a different animal -- the silicone allows for a tighter seal, in my opinion. again, your comfort and fit is more dependent on your fitting and your individual ear anatomy. with top-notch impressions, either should work fine -- it's just a matter of what your budget and your personal preferences on sound signature are.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #103 of 118
Why the heck did they decide to put more midrange in the T1 than the T2?! That's the last thing a T2 would need. Interesting that you say they're replacing the highs driver on the T2. I would say they should've changed/tuned the bass driver instead. It's the mid-bass that needs literal "cleaning up".

As it stands, the T2 is a wonderful headphone for pop, rock, country, etc. For classical, I would still insist on something with a bit less warmth in the mid-bass. Heck, just shrink a K1000, R10, SR-007 or HE60/90 into an IEM!

Looking forward to more impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason for me not writing a review on T1 is due to:
  1. it in a different league from universal IEM
  1. I only audition other people custom for a short while and as it not my own customs, it decrease the credibility like some member already start to question
  1. My own preference to certain sound signature may not be most people cup of tea (As seen from the Westone3 response).
  1. Most people will still worship UE11 like King and will not accept any other people preference on other IEMs (To prevent flaming war)

I do welcome discussion over PM like how some of them had done it.
Having said, I'm still looking to audition a pair of ES3X soon. Just can't find the time to do so (Hope i'm not poison by the sound signature).

Do please write a review! The reasons you stated aren't good enough
wink.gif
Just compare it to headphones you know well. Also, the intent of writing a review is not to start an up-rising against well-ingrained thinking (eg UE11 = the best).

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #104 of 118
I think these are going to be my first customs (though of course since I'm in high school and low on cash, it will have to wait until well after college - or maybe a graduation gift?).

According to this review, these deliver my "dream sound". In other words, it seems like they might sound like an improved PFE with better imaging and an out-of-head soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back