New ACS T1 Customs
Feb 3, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #76 of 118
I have had a pair of T1s for about a week now. I came to them by a roundabout route... I used to work for a Formula One team and was fitted with a custom radio earpiece, input into one ear and a blank sound-excluding earpiece in the other. Anyway, I owned and enjoyed a set of UE 10 Pros but the damned things wouldn't stay in... I think I have very small ears! The way forward seemed to be customs and having been impressed by the sound of the UE 10 Pros, I researched there first and decided on some UE 10 Customs. UE send you some fairly specific instructions as to how to have your ear impressions made, but I recalled having had impressions done for my old F1 earpieces so to save me the expense of an audiologist, I contacted the radio company to see if they still had my impressions and they told me that they subcontract their impression work to ACS; when I went on the ACS website to get their phone number, I found that they made custom earphones too. Rather than go to UE in the US I thought I'd go 45 minutes up the road to Banbury instead.

So ACS made me some T1s from existing impressions that they'd taken for a different purpose about 2 years before. They fit perfectly... but you need to get used to putting them in and taking them out. It's not a simple task and it can be a bit of a pain on a plane, say, when you're constantly interrupted by a stewardess with menus and washbags and food and stuff... the earpieces block out everything. Conversation is impossible. This means you shouldn't use them while driving, cycling or anything where some sound (like the horn of an oncoming truck) might be useful.

When they're correctly seated in the ear, allow them a few minutes to come up to body temperature. You'll know when that is because it's about the same time that you stop noticing they're there at all. They really are that comfortable. Phenomenal.

Now listen. Every instrument is clear. Every note seems to stand out... it's easy to pick an instrument and follow it, or to bask in the whole of the sound. The T1s seem to me to be absolutely neutral and without colouration of any kind. They are incredibly detailed and good enough to expose poor recordings. I can now tell the difference, for example, between iPod tracks recorded at different bitrates. 128 just seems poor and muffled by comparison to lossless recordings.

The longer I listen, the better they get. They have excited me sufficiently that I find myself listening to tracks, to styles of music I would not have listened to before. They have revealed layers of my music collection that I have never discovered and some tracks manage to produce genuine soundstage, where placement of individual instruments is eminently possible not only with width but with depth as well. This is not supposed to be possible with IEMs, but it happens here.

I love them, of course, and cannot see myself ever needing to upgrade. Mind you, at £649 a set, I shouldn't have to. If the service I received and the care taken to educate me on how to get the best out of them (just give ACS a call) is anything to go by, they'll give me years of lasting service and pleasure.

Very highly recommended.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #77 of 118
Scott, nice review, glad you like them. Also good to see other quality custom options than UE now. Also nice to see that your impressions still worked after 2 years.

BTW, which team?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #78 of 118
sorry, double post

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #79 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottgarrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a pair of T1s for about a week now. I came to them by a roundabout route... I used to work for a Formula One team and was fitted with a custom radio earpiece, input into one ear and a blank sound-excluding earpiece in the other. Anyway, I owned and enjoyed a set of UE 10 Pros but the damned things wouldn't stay in... I think I have very small ears! The way forward seemed to be customs and having been impressed by the sound of the UE 10 Pros, I researched there first and decided on some UE 10 Customs. UE send you some fairly specific instructions as to how to have your ear impressions made, but I recalled having had impressions done for my old F1 earpieces so to save me the expense of an audiologist, I contacted the radio company to see if they still had my impressions and they told me that they subcontract their impression work to ACS; when I went on the ACS website to get their phone number, I found that they made custom earphones too. Rather than go to UE in the US I thought I'd go 45 minutes up the road to Banbury instead.

So ACS made me some T1s from existing impressions that they'd taken for a different purpose about 2 years before. They fit perfectly... but you need to get used to putting them in and taking them out. It's not a simple task and it can be a bit of a pain on a plane, say, when you're constantly interrupted by a stewardess with menus and washbags and food and stuff... the earpieces block out everything. Conversation is impossible. This means you shouldn't use them while driving, cycling or anything where some sound (like the horn of an oncoming truck) might be useful.

When they're correctly seated in the ear, allow them a few minutes to come up to body temperature. You'll know when that is because it's about the same time that you stop noticing they're there at all. They really are that comfortable. Phenomenal.

Now listen. Every instrument is clear. Every note seems to stand out... it's easy to pick an instrument and follow it, or to bask in the whole of the sound. The T1s seem to me to be absolutely neutral and without colouration of any kind. They are incredibly detailed and good enough to expose poor recordings. I can now tell the difference, for example, between iPod tracks recorded at different bitrates. 128 just seems poor and muffled by comparison to lossless recordings.

The longer I listen, the better they get. They have excited me sufficiently that I find myself listening to tracks, to styles of music I would not have listened to before. They have revealed layers of my music collection that I have never discovered and some tracks manage to produce genuine soundstage, where placement of individual instruments is eminently possible not only with width but with depth as well. This is not supposed to be possible with IEMs, but it happens here.

I love them, of course, and cannot see myself ever needing to upgrade. Mind you, at £649 a set, I shouldn't have to. If the service I received and the care taken to educate me on how to get the best out of them (just give ACS a call) is anything to go by, they'll give me years of lasting service and pleasure.

Very highly recommended.

nice to hear that you enjoy your t1 as much as I do. I heard an UE10 and my opinion is both as no par for details but t1 have more texture in the mids. What is your view? And which teams you are in? Midland?

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #80 of 118
theory, just curious, but how can you "hear" the custom UE10's without purchasing them?

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #81 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theory, just curious, but how can you "hear" the custom UE10's without purchasing them?

There are universals of the customs available locally at Jaben. We can get to listen to their sound signature and, but quite a number of people has mentioned that the sound will be slightly different from the actual custom itself.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #82 of 118
No... the one i heard is a real custom set. It belong to my friends. So far of the 2 UE10p i heard, they sound similar to me. The key is getting the seal. And Jaben do not have universal UE10p.

Same case for T1. I listen to Aron set before making the decision to purchase. And it sound similar.

Note. I mean the custom ue10p and not tf10p

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #83 of 118
Very interesting indeed. And so nice to know that therje is an eu based company making customs, there are a few others in europe but acs seems to be well-regarded. I guess they might be more comfortable then ue customs. There are dealers for ue in nl but I guess the dealers would have to send the impressions to the usa too and then the finished product has to be sent back which will all take a long time and have the risk of adding tax to the total cost... Also Id rather get something directly from the source because dealers/distributers will also add to the cost... I hope the gbp will keep coming down!!!
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #84 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No... the one i heard is a real custom set. It belong to my friends. So far of the 2 UE10p i heard, they sound similar to me. The key is getting the seal. And Jaben do not have universal UE10p.

Same case for T1. I listen to Aron set before making the decision to purchase. And it sound similar.

Note. I mean the custom ue10p and not tf10p

How can you listen to your friends custom UE10 and get a good seal? I don't think you can get proper seal with a custom monitor that belongs to someone else.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #85 of 118
I am going to take the plunge and order the T1's. I do most of my listening on the go so two pairs of customs ain't such a bad thing! I will go head to head with my UE11's when I get them. I will keep you posted on the customer service (UE's is exceptional), i am going to use the same audiologist so we shall see...

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #87 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you listen to your friends custom UE10 and get a good seal? I don't think you can get proper seal with a custom monitor that belongs to someone else.

It up to individual ear canal shape. Mine is relatively straight so I can fit most people customs... So far for my um56 and t1, i tried others one 1st before I decide on getting one myself and all sound very similar.

FYI, getting a good seal does mean it will fit properly and comfortable. I tried my friend's ue11 and my ears hurt but still i can get the seal and it sound very similar to the universal set that jaben have. For ue10 and es2, i have tried 2 different sets each and both sound very similar too.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #88 of 118
Theory, care to write a review of the T1 with lots of comparison with what you have already? I for one would rally love to read it. I am really interested in the T1, but I am scared by the "forward" midrange and any chance of sibilance that could occur.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #89 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theory, care to write a review of the T1 with lots of comparison with what you have already? I for one would rally love to read it. I am really interested in the T1, but I am scared by the "forward" midrange and any chance of sibilance that could occur.

The reason for me not writing a review on T1 is due to:
  1. it in a different league from universal IEM
  1. I only audition other people custom for a short while and as it not my own customs, it decrease the credibility like some member already start to question
  1. My own preference to certain sound signature may not be most people cup of tea (As seen from the Westone3 response).
  1. Most people will still worship UE11 like King and will not accept any other people preference on other IEMs (To prevent flaming war)

I do welcome discussion over PM like how some of them had done it.
Having said, I'm still looking to audition a pair of ES3X soon. Just can't find the time to do so (Hope i'm not poison by the sound signature).

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #90 of 118
Really enjoying this thread guys, thanks.

A quick point - I've found personally with custom fitted products that the seal if anything's slightly less good off the bat than with certain universal IEMS (my experience is of ER-4p and Klipsch Image x10). The comfort, however, if they're fitted correctly, is superb and you can use them all day long without any problem.

Using the cream ACS supplies helps massively with the seal though and if you get it just right it blocks out ambient noise completely.

I found the ER-4p's noise attenuation was the best I've experienced yet (crying babies seated across from me on the train yet I couldn't hear a thing even with no music on) but after ten minutes or so they became uncomfortable, and when listening for long spells they became painful.

The Klipsch Image is a good compromise but they don't sound as nice as my customs (we're talking FREQ SuperFREQs here so still pretty low level) let alone how I'd imagine some of these top-end customs do.

What I will say is that, using acrylic customs (as mentioned above) and comparing them with the ACS custom silicon earpieces, the silicon is more comfortable. That's not to say the fitted acrylic isn't comfortable - just that the silicon is a little nicer somehow - as scottgarrett says you don't realise they're there after a while.

The same is true of the Klipsch Image x10 for me (they're incredibly comfortable and a real design classic in terms of their shape for me), but I've had durability issues with them that led to me having to get the custom tips. Otherwise I'd be buying a new set of x10s every 6 months as pair after pair disintegrates in my ear...

Anyway cheers again for a great thread - gonna keep an eye on this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back