Need some new headphones, but which ones should I get?
Apr 10, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #226 of 283
But my stereo is pretty damn far away from my couch, so I think I would need an extension cable (I want to watch TV and DVDs with my headphones).

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #227 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
But my stereo is pretty damn far away from my couch, so I think I would need an extension cable (I want to watch TV and DVDs with my headphones).

Oh, my mistake then. I thought you were asking about swapping the cable to a different one, not simply extending the existing cable. In that case, I wouldn't worry about any lost quality. A cable extention isn't going to detract from the sound quality that much.

Apr 17, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #228 of 283
If an extension cable isn't going detract from the sound quality at all, then it'd be okay to get an extension cable like this one for use with the A500s? Do you guys with the more expensive headphones also use these kind of cheap extension cables if they don't detract from sound quality?

Another thing, I tried a few VBRs on my mp3 cd player and they sounded totally weird, as if they were being played at a slower rate than normal. Could my mp3 cd player not support VBRs or something? Do I have to invest in something better now if I want to use VBRs?

Also, since I plan on building my computer this summer, what sound card do you guys recommend for use with an unamped A500s? I'm looking for an affordable one that isn't too expensive for someone just getting into the realm of audiophilia (I'm deinfetly not looking for something that is $100 or more). Any recommendations?

Apr 17, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #229 of 283
BUMP - It seems like the best soundcards would be the Audigy2 ZS series and the EMU 0404s, correct?. Which one of these would be the best for someone in my situation? The EMU 0404s do seem radically expensive, but if they are that much better than the Audigy 2 ZS', then I'd consider them.

EDIT: It appears that the 0404s are only 96khz while the Audigy 2 ZS' are 192khz...problem?

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #230 of 283
The Audigy 2 ZS is almost always slammed for its horrible analog sound quality (though it's not nearly as bad as the older Creative cards, especially the Live) so I wouldn't reccomend that, unless you plan on gaming mostly and using its digital output to a better DAC (because it resamples CDs from 44.1 -> 48KHz its an especially bad choice for both digital and analog output for music). The EMU 0404 on the other hand sounds great through both the digital and analog outputs but it can't drive headphones directly (well, it can but it isn't designed to and the sound quality usually* isn't very good, plus you need about $20 in cables to connect headphones directly to it). The 0404 can do 192KHz with the latest driver updates however that isn't important unless you plan on playing DVD-Audio discs or are planning on doing some hi-rez recordings because CDs are only 44.1KHz. Instead of either I'd reccomend the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 (not the 7.1, which uses inferior technology). It probably won't sound as good as the 0404 but it will almost certainly sound better than the Audigy, it can drive headphones directly, and it's only $75.

*I say usually because with some headphones it doesn't sound bad at all. Based on what I've read in the computer-as-source forum it does seem to sound better with higher-z cans (like Senns) than lower-z cans (like Grados).

Apr 20, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #231 of 283
So, the M-Audio 5.1 Revolution will be great for listening to music through my headphones and playing games too? What about when it comes to using speakers? Is the M-Audio still pretty good? Also, to what extent do the speakers affect the quality of the heaphones (Since you are using the headphone hack on the speakers, should the quality of the speakers affect how good your headphones will sound? I'm using pretty crappy ones right now, the Logitech Z-340s)?

Also:
Quote:

If an extension cable isn't going detract from the sound quality at all, then it'd be okay to get an extension cable like this one for use with the A500s? Do you guys with the more expensive headphones also use these kind of cheap extension cables if they don't detract from sound quality?

Another thing, I tried a few VBRs on my mp3 cd player and they sounded totally weird, as if they were being played at a slower rate than normal. Could my mp3 cd player not support VBRs or something? Do I have to invest in something better now if I want to use VBRs?

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #232 of 283
Also: I'm a little confused now; getting a new soundcard like the M-Audio, is that like getting an amp? So, would that mean that I would get better sound quality from my A500s when they are hooked up to my computer through the M-Audio 5.1 Revolution than if they were directly hooked up to an mp3 player?

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #233 of 283
Before I go to bed, what do you guys think of this auction? It's the same price as the A500s, but they are better headphones (Aren't they?)? They are new too. Too good to be true? Also, could you answer my other questions in my previous 2 posts? Thanks.

Apr 21, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #234 of 283
Bump

Quote:

Also, since I plan on building my computer this summer, what sound card do you guys recommend for use with an unamped A500s? I'm looking for an affordable one that isn't too expensive for someone just getting into the realm of audiophilia (I'm deinfetly not looking for something that is $100 or more). Any recommendations?

Also: I'm a little confused now; getting a new soundcard like the M-Audio, is that like getting an amp? So, would that mean that I would get better sound quality from my A500s when they are hooked up to my computer through the M-Audio 5.1 Revolution than if they were directly hooked up to an mp3 player?

Before I go to bed, what do you guys think of this auction? It's the same price as the A500s, but they are better headphones (Aren't they?)? They are new too. Too good to be true? Also, could you answer my other questions in my previous 2 posts? Thanks.

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #235 of 283
I've been curious, has there even been anyone who has found all this soundstage, instruments nice and separated, crips clear highs, etc. stuff ever to sound worse than when they aren't all separated? I mean, if the instruments were separated, wouldn't the song sound totally different, and, maybe, worse? I'm just asking because I want to be sure there is a good track record for these crappy headphones to audiophile headphones experiences so that I can feel more confident about mine.

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #236 of 283
You play DDR?
eggosmile.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #237 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
You play DDR?
eggosmile.gif

Not anymore, that's an old post. I currently play Beatmania IIDX (Japanese import game for the PS2), which is where I get a lot of my music from.

Apr 21, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #238 of 283
Quote:

Not anymore, that's an old post. I currently play Beatmania IIDX (Japanese import game for the PS2), which is where I get a lot of my music from.

Gah, another DDR player is taken to the dark side that is IIDX.

Apr 21, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #239 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Gah, another DDR player is taken to the dark side that is IIDX.

Dark side? How is IIDX the dark side? In my opinion, it is much more challenging and rewarding. One of the main reasons as to why I plan to get these audiophile headphones is for IIDX.

Anyways, could you answer my previous questions, please:

Quote:

So, the M-Audio 5.1 Revolution will be great for listening to music through my headphones and playing games too? What about when it comes to using speakers? Is the M-Audio still pretty good? Also, to what extent do the speakers affect the quality of the heaphones (Since you are using the headphone hack on the speakers, should the quality of the speakers affect how good your headphones will sound? I'm using pretty crappy ones right now, the Logitech Z-340s)?

I've been curious, has there even been anyone who has found all this soundstage, instruments nice and separated, crips clear highs, etc. stuff ever to sound worse than when they aren't all separated? I mean, if the instruments were separated, wouldn't the song sound totally different, and, maybe, worse? I'm just asking because I want to be sure there is a good track record for these crappy headphones to audiophile headphones experiences so that I can feel more confident about mine.

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #240 of 283
Bump, I could really use your help in finding the answers to these questions. Could anybody help me out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back