My review of the Hippo Shroom EB
Aug 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #31 of 60
yes, i like the bass quantity of cx300, but don't like its quality. in some music, where i expect a great thump, i just get a mere boom. 

also, i don't hear on loud volumes. i have a sony s616 and e344 mp3 player and i just use it at 12/28 volume which is like 60% than its peak volume. will VB sound good at that volumes?

Also do you have any other IEM to suggest in VB's price range that has similar or more bass than VB's?

I am leaning more and more towards VB after your explanation. 

Thanks

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #32 of 60
I got mine about a week back , they are pretty detailed for their price.SQ wise ,I would place them in the same range as Brainwavz M2 ,Hippo VB etc. Slightly here and there .Its surprising how day by day the sound / price factor  keeps getting better.  Only problem I find ,is that the build quality isn't so great. But that shouldn't really be an issue as uncle Wilson is very helpful with his RMAs incase anything goes wrong.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #33 of 60
Both EB and VB will sound good at lower volumes. Wilson and Jaben are really good at customer service, as Faheem already said.

As for other in this price, don't know really, the VB is regarded as one of the best bass performers out there, Anythingbutipod had this to say about them:
"Dare I say it? … Ok, here we go: their bass is more or less as refined as the one coming from the $1150 UE11 – but the VB put less weight on midbass and provide more real sub-bass, so they win."

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #35 of 60
^ Do keep in mind that VBs are sibilant .. especially out of the box its unbearable. A few few hrs burn in , it settles down but still if you listen to lot of vocals you might not like the sibilant sound. An EQ helps to some extent :)

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #38 of 60
Is this problem same in Shroom EB too? And to confirm, Sibilance means you are referring to hiss that comes from earphone right?

I see you have M2, can you tell if its any good with respect to bass?

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:
Is this problem same in Shroom EB too? And to confirm, Sibilance means you are referring to hiss that comes from earphone right?

I see you have M2, can you tell if its any good with respect to bass?

Nah by sibilance I don't mean hiss sound but a very sharp penetrating "Sss"  sound in the vocals/ treble. I didnt notice the same in the Shroom EB ..but then I have hardly used it for a few hours.

Ohh yes the M2s are another amazing offering in this budget range. I find its midrange to better slightly than the VBs as well as Shroom EB .Though detailing is almost on same level .M2 has a more warrm and smooth presentation of midrange and sounds more musical . VB beats the M2 in sub bass department as it produces clean detailed bass whereasM2 has a decent punch as well as impact in its bass. Treble again both are almost on par , VB  slightly more detailed but then sibilance could be an issue to few people. :)

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #41 of 60
Thanks for the view.

So if you were to rank bass quantity and quality for EB,VB and M2. how will it go?

I don't pay much attention to treble and mid. But yes, bass is imp. If i enjoy the thump, i enjoy the song focusing on treble and mids. The only reason being, many of my fav songs start with bass base music and then the vocals come. 

I may sound weird but thats how i am and my songs are. 

Also i use sony nwz s616 walkman mp3 player. So will it help?

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #42 of 60
I bought these a while back and were quite impressed with their technical ability eventhough the sound signature isn't really my thing.  The bass although not a lot in quantity has a nice punch and extension to it.  Unfortunately mine had a weird imbalance issue and I'm waiting for my replacement, the customer service from Jaben has been fantastic though.

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #43 of 60
^^ ^ Initial few days even I felt an imbalance in channels but then it turned out to be fit issues. These earphones are so damn tiny they just don't sit symmetrically  in my ears .Neeed to adjust it for 3-4 mins till I get perfect seal.

Quote:
Thanks for the view.

So if you were to rank bass quantity and quality for EB,VB and M2. how will it go?

I don't pay much attention to treble and mid. But yes, bass is imp. If i enjoy the thump, i enjoy the song focusing on treble and mids. The only reason being, many of my fav songs start with bass base music and then the vocals come. 

I may sound weird but thats how i am and my songs are. 

Also i use sony nwz s616 walkman mp3 player. So will it help?

Quantity wise - M2 >VB>EB
Quality wise - VB>M2=EB

^ This is only in terms of bass .

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #44 of 60
Thanks Faheem. 

So, i guess i will ignore EB and look for VB or M2. 

But m2 on mp4nation.net is not in stock. Don't know when it will be available. So now i am pretty sure i am going for VB. Thinksound Thunder/Rain are also troubling me side by side. While these are being compared with M2 and EB rather than VB which is above the price range. 

Any views?

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #45 of 60

That's what I was hoping at first but this is unlike any fit issue I've had before.  Also, swapping the left and right earpiece moves the problem from one ear to another so it can't be a fit problem, but I am sure this is an isolated issue and like I said Jaben have been very good with dealing with it.

Quote:
^^ ^ Initial few days even I felt an imbalance in channels but then it turned out to be fit issues. These earphones are so damn tiny they just don't sit symmetrically  in my ears .Neeed to adjust it for 3-4 mins till I get perfect seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back