500+ Head-Fier

Hippo Shroom EB

Specs.
Single dynamic driver, 6mm
Frequency range: 10Hz – 20KHz
Impedance: 16Ohm
Sensitivity: 95dB/mW
RRP: $57
Also available as Shroom (original) and Shroom-i, with built in mic, for iPhone and BlackBerry

The Shroom EB is identical with the original Shroom in everything except for the sound, so the first two parts are lifted from the review of the original version.

Build quality and accessories.
Build quality is good. The housing is made of high quality plastic and the cable is 130cm/51in, with a 90 degree jack. The cable seems to be the same as on the Hippo Shroom, i.e. a plasticky compound that suffers slightly from microphonic noise, yet soft and smooth with a good quality feel to it.
The included accessories are, different sized silicone sleeves (S, M, L) in red/blue and black and a pouch. The sleeves are very good, especially the different coloured ones make the right/left channel so easily recognizable.
For some reason the red/blue sleeves were of a different type and did not really fit the earphones on my test unit, this may well be an error on a small batch and should not be considered a fault as such. The black sleeves fit perfectly.

Comfort and fit.
The Shrooms are light and small. They can be worn with the cable running over the ear as well as straight down. Comfort is excellent, due to the very small form factor. Isolation from ambient noise is very good and microphonic noise can be minimized thanks to the clip and cable over the ear way of wearing them.

Sound quality.
This is what I said about the original Shrooms: “The Shrooms offer a detail that is exceptional in a dynamic IEM, and in this price bracket simply astonishing!  They seem to have the best from both worlds, the detail of a balanced armature and the fun factor of a dynamic driver. The Shrooms are among my absolute favourite IEM’s”.
Just like the originals the EB’s need time to sound their best, once settled they offer the same incredible (for a dynamic IEM) detail and clarity, with added bass.
The tight bass is very high quality and there is a fair bit of it as well, mids are smooth, forward and very detailed, highs are crisp and clear, yet a little in the background, and the soundstage is bigger than average, by quite a margin. The sound is never dark or muddy, but very detailed and full of low end energy that really lifts the sound to a whole new level.
Excellent sound for the price!

To sum up.
The good: superb detail and very good bass, excellent sound for the price, build quality, design, comfort, red/blue sleeves (when the error is sorted).
The bad: somewhat noisy cable, not easily available to buy.

Verdict: just like the originals the EB’s offer stylish design and a powerful sound of a high quality that shames many of the much more expensive offerings on the market. Highly recommended!!

Original Shroom in red and EB in black.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 60
@ mp3 . great review thanks , those iem's do look tiny but i do like the colourful tips 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 60
Thanks lucozade, they are very small, but the sound is huge 
L3000.gif

I'm a great fan of the red/blue sleeves, why other manufacturers don't follow suit is a mystery to me.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 60
While they are tiny IEM's, the tube itself is quite large, due to the design of having the driver very close to the tip, they use the same sleeve size as the head-direct IEM's. Personally I find them very comfortable, as size reference I use small size Shure grey sleeves (PA 758), if that can be of any help.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #14 of 60
EB vs VB, pretty much identical bass, when 2 dot plate is used on VB, detail is better on EB, highs are clearer on EB. I would say that EB has a bigger soundstage as well.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 60

Quote:
EB vs VB, pretty much identical bass, when 2 dot plate is used on VB, detail is better on EB, highs are clearer on EB. I would say that EB has a bigger soundstage as well.

So these are a clear upgrade with no downside when compared to the VB using the 2 dot plate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back