My next future headphone purchase
Sep 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #33 of 80
Once I get the money should I just go for the 940s or should i wait a little and see what other headphones come out? Again I don't know if I could return the 940s after I opened them. Theres a pair on ebay for $245. A steal?

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #34 of 80
Why you didn't follow Malveaux's advice and pick these up is beyond me.

Unless they were sold to you, in which case I retract my statement.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570159/sold-shure-srh940-as-new-in-the-box-all-accessories

Quote:
Once I get the money should I just go for the 940s or should i wait a little and see what other headphones come out? Again I don't know if I could return the 940s after I opened them. Theres a pair on ebay for $245. A steal?

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #35 of 80
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #36 of 80
Alright so now im hearing things about the fischer audio fa 003. How do they compare to the 940s. FA003 is cheaper and has alot of good reviews. but remember I prefer mids/vocals to be more prominent and not have the bass overpowering like the m50s. source-itouch 4g, 192-320 kbos mp3s. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #37 of 80
i see that the fa003 has a cord on each cup and the cable itself is 3 meters long. not really very portable. It also looks kinda big if im honest. May be due to the earpad though. The 940s just from descriptions seem like what I want. But if the fa003 are just out of this world and beats BOTH M50s and 940s then id be more then willing to find one to buy.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #38 of 80

Quote:
i see that the fa003 has a cord on each cup and the cable itself is 3 meters long. not really very portable. It also looks kinda big if im honest. May be due to the earpad though. The 940s just from descriptions seem like what I want. But if the fa003 are just out of this world and beats BOTH M50s and 940s then id be more then willing to find one to buy.

Anyone?

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #39 of 80
Well M50s are gone now. They at least gave me some insight into headphones. SO now the future... Still focusing on 940's but have still yet to see anyone compare FA-003s to them. REMEMBER: If the 940s have more bass thump than iBuds and Don't have sibilant or fatiguing highs, then that's basically sounds just for me.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #40 of 80
Make sure you're able to return them (the SRH940) - just in case.  I know a lot of people are on the hype machine at the moment, and they are great cans - but they're nowhere near "neutral" to me.  More warm, sweet, but can sometimes be dry.  The mid-bass I think is the problem - it's slightly recessed, and for some people (definitely me) - it can make the entire presentation seem "unnatural".  I found the SRH940s great for some genres - but very "off sounding" for others - especially prog rock / classic rock.  It's not just me either - others have felt same (see the very long SRH940 thread).

Oh - and the guy that said the SRH840 and M50 sound alike ..... must be hearing different phones to me.  To me the M50 was very U shaped - more extension in both bottom end and top end - but as a result the mids were recessed.  I did not like them.  SRH840 quite balanced - doesn't extend as low, has a bit of sparkle in the top, but not over the top, and the mid range is slightly forward.  The only thing with the 840 was the mid-bass hump - which made the bass on some tracks slightly 'boomy'.  But overall I much preferred the SRH840 to both the SRH940 and M50.

I actually think the other can that Mal suggested might be more what you're looking for (FA-003), assuming you are looking for a good closed all-rounder.  I'm actually looking closer at them now as well - as I've had advice from an owner that they have some similarities with the HD600 - and I absolutely love my Senns.

Again - if you're looking for a 'neutral all-rounder', the SRH940 is not what I'd be recommending.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #41 of 80
I was the one that said the 840s and M50s sound similar, and I stand by that.  They both have boomy bass body (although, as you said, the M50 extends lower), and a twinkle in the highs.  They don't sound identical - they just have similar signatures, as they were designed to do the same thing: bring out high hats, bass lines and kick drums for monitoring (and they both do it really well).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

If anything, the M50s show better upper mids than the 840s, buy they have a small dip ~400hz where the 840 does not.

The OP did not ask for a neutral all rounder, but a can that would bring out vocals and mids, which the 940 will do.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH940.pdf

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference - how the headphone fits on your head and how your ears hear the cans, but from unbiased FR graphs you can guide which cans you want to audition for your own listening pleasure.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #42 of 80

Quote:
I was the one that said the 840s and M50s sound similar, and I stand by that.  They both have boomy bass body (although, as you said, the M50 extends lower), and a twinkle in the highs.  They don't sound identical - they just have similar signatures, as they were designed to do the same thing: bring out high hats, bass lines and kick drums for monitoring (and they both do it really well).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

If anything, the M50s show better upper mids than the 840s, buy they have a small dip ~400hz where the 840 does not.

The OP did not ask for a neutral all rounder, but a can that would bring out vocals and mids, which the 940 will do.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH940.pdf

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference - how the headphone fits on your head and how your ears hear the cans, but from unbiased FR graphs you can guide which cans you want to audition for your own listening pleasure.

Exactly. I have my eyes set on the 940s but I will make sure I can return them if I don't like them. If I don't like it I'll try the 840s. But I have to keep making this clear. I AM NOT A BASSHEAD! I don't want alot of bass, even in those genres like hiphop, rock, rap, etc. Also I've heard from various people split things about the 940s brightness. Some say it's fatiguing, others say it is just fine. If it handles sibilance well and doesn't have piercing highs then I think I'm good. Again, not gonna keep my expectations high though.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #43 of 80
Actually - you (Anathallo) said:

Quote:
The 840s sound very similar to the M50s, I don't think you will be happy with them if you didn't like the M50s.

I guess we can agree to disagree - I did not like the M50s, and liked the SRH840 quite a lot as an entry level can.  Either way - I read into OP's original post:

Quote:
music: all genres, from classical to rap to rock. I want something that can handle everything and stay pretty neutral with emphasis on mids/vocals.

that he was looking for a neutral all rounder (he states it quite clearly).  I would disagree that the SRH940 is good for either rock or rap - and I would not describe it as neutral.  Again I think Mal's recommendation of the FA-003 sounds right on the money.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #44 of 80

Quote:
Exactly. I have my eyes set on the 940s but I will make sure I can return them if I don't like them. If I don't like it I'll try the 840s. But I have to keep making this clear. I AM NOT A BASSHEAD! I don't want alot of bass, even in those genres like hiphop, rock, rap, etc. Also I've heard from various people split things about the 940s brightness. Some say it's fatiguing, others say it is just fine. If it handles sibilance well and doesn't have piercing highs then I think I'm good. Again, not gonna keep my expectations high though.

Good luck with the 940's.  You'll either really like them, or they'll become something you really don't like in a hurry.  I'll be interested in your impressions.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #45 of 80
Fair enough - both good points.

Quote:
Actually - you (Anathallo) said:

I guess we can agree to disagree - I did not like the M50s, and liked the SRH840 quite a lot as an entry level can.  Either way - I read into OP's original post:

that he was looking for a neutral all rounder (he states it quite clearly).  I would disagree that the SRH940 is good for either rock or rap - and I would not describe it as neutral.  Again I think Mal's recommendation of the FA-003 sounds right on the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back