My next future headphone purchase
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 80
I don't have the money to get new headphones right now. I just want to know what's best for my preferences when i do have at least 200-250. So it seems shures are the right options. 840's or 940's though? ones almost 100 more expensive than the other so id expect a bigger step up in SQ. Ill see if i can try them out at a guitar center. 

Again i listen to everything. Acoustic, Vocal(male or female), Dupstep, Rap, Rock, Classical, Movie Score, etc. 

I hear the shures cant do all of that. Am I wrong?

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #18 of 80
You can get the SRH940 for $200.99 if you're willing to get them from here (add cart to reflect price):

http://www.spectrumaudio.com/shure-srh940.html

I got my own pair from there a month or two ago, but if you're concerned with buying from there, I'd wait for more responses. For $200, it's hard not to consider them at that price especially.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

Acoustic, Vocal(male or female), Classical

srh940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player1josh46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dupstep, Rap, Rock

srh840

I'd take the 840s for all rounders, but the 940s are better headphones and noticeably better at some genres. So depending on which of the above you listen to most either could be the better choice.

edit: a lot of reason that the 940s were better for me was because of their stunning midrange, but their sound signature just doesn't work with as much music as the 840s, and they're really revealing which is a curse and a blessing. So pick your poison.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #20 of 80
You're not going to find any headphones that do everything well at this price range.  Heck, at almost all price ranges, each individual headphone will have it's strengths and weaknesses.

The 840 will sound like the M50.

The 940 will bring out your vocals and mids, but you will lose the bass impact in your Dubstep, Rap, Movie Score and Rock (depending on what sub-genres you listen to).

Even if you buy the 940s, it shouldn't be so hard to save the ~$50 you can grab the xb500s for if you need a pair of basshead cans.  Unless you're keeping the M50s, in which case you already have a decent pair.
Quote:
I don't have the money to get new headphones right now. I just want to know what's best for my preferences when i do have at least 200-250. So it seems shures are the right options. 840's or 940's though? ones almost 100 more expensive than the other so id expect a bigger step up in SQ. Ill see if i can try them out at a guitar center. 

Again i listen to everything. Acoustic, Vocal(male or female), Dupstep, Rap, Rock, Classical, Movie Score, etc. 

I hear the shures cant do all of that. Am I wrong?

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #21 of 80
If you want to spend in the 250 range eventually and you want something that would be good with vocal pieces, as well as heavy bass stuff you could do what I did. Find yourself either a used set of SRH840s, or get the SRH440s w/ 840 pads and then buy a second pair of specific bass phones.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing with the Ultrasone HFi-580s. You could probably get both pairs inside, or right outside your price range.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #22 of 80
Well the thing is is that for all those genres that the 940s can't do quite right, I could always bring up the bass with EQu if I had too but honestly i like vocals and actual sounds more than the bass. for example daft punk, i like their music and i know it has alot of bass but i enjoy the mids and highs even more. Same goes for the other genres. Put it like this: Do the 940's have more bass than than $5 sony earbuds? if so, even just a little bit, then im fine. ill try them out at guitarcenter if they have them and ill see what happens.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #23 of 80

Quote:
Well the thing is is that for all those genres that the 940s can't do quite right, I could always bring up the bass with EQu if I had too but honestly i like vocals and actual sounds more than the bass. for example daft punk, i like their music and i know it has alot of bass but i enjoy the mids and highs even more. Same goes for the other genres. Put it like this: Do the 940's have more bass than than $5 sony earbuds? if so, even just a little bit, then im fine. ill try them out at guitarcenter if they have them and ill see what happens.

Heya,

It's kind of confusing that you keep saying you don't need tons of bass, and that you want something that does mids and highs very well and forward. That is the SRH940. It can playback extremely low tone sub bass, it just doesn't flood the sound field with it like a bassy headphone. The entire headphone is pretty neutral and very detailed and clear. The bass is impactful and able to hit those low notes to give you the non-hallow feel to the sound. They simply do not reverb and the bass is going to be softer than the overall mids image that you'll get in the render. Quality bass and quantity of bass are two very different things.

Again, if this is not something that will work for you, no big deal, it's just an amazing headphone for vocals and acoustic in general, and some people like it for everything, I personally didn't like it as much as others specifically for electronic musics where I wanted more flooding reverbing bass (and by that, I mean crazy bass, not even neutral stuff).

So, another headphone for you to look at is the Fischer Audio FA-003. It comes with leather/velour pads to swap. A very good headphone that is neutral and has some bass impact that is not shy, but again, neutral.

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 80
Alright ill check them out. Also, I think it makes sense to sell the m50s so ill have some extra money to upgrade. here's what my m50s are like:

100 hrs burn in. 

Pads have been worn in a bit but not tearing though

I stretched them a little to fit my head.

Foam of the back of the pads are removed.

What do you think I should sell them for? I was think around $100. Too much or loo less? 

Also, where should I sell them? Here or on another site like ebay or local like craigslist 

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #25 of 80
Heya,

Go to the for sale section, throw them for sale, see what offers come in. I'd wager around $75 shipped maybe since they're well used so long as you have the original box and adapter and manuals and stuff. But again, just see what offers come your way. I sold mine for $95 on the forum, minty, but I also slash my re-sales because I want them to sell as fast as possible, so I cut my prices from retail quite a bit, but that's just me. If you have patience, you might be able to fetch a better price.

Very best,

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #26 of 80
People seem to be saying that the source is key to the 940s. I would drive them from my itouch 4g without a amp preferably. My songs are 192-320 kbps. Is it worth it to look at it anymore. My M50s sounded fine just too much bass and recessed mids.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 80
Quote:
People seem to be saying that the source is key to the 940s. I would drive them from my itouch 4g without a amp preferably. My songs are 192-320 kbps. Is it worth it to look at it anymore. My M50s sounded fine just too much bass and recessed mids.

I didn't notice a difference except for amp coloration, an ipod drives it just fine. But I just use a receiver instead of a low impedance headphone amp, so that might make a difference.

Going to Guitar Center sounds like a good idea, both the 840 and 940 will give you less bass and more mids than an m50 but they go about it differently, you just might like the 840 more even though it's cheaper. Checking out a Beyer DT250 might be a good idea too.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 80
Well this sucks. Went to GC today and all they had was certain types of headphones on display including the 840s but NOT the 940s. On top of that they were just for show and I couldn't plug it into my iPod to test it out. It is pretty big but felt comfortable on my head. They did have the 940s in stock there but I really prefer to try them out at least before I buy. Any suggestions?

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #30 of 80

Quote:
Buy them, return them if they don't fit properly.

And what if they don't allow me to return it? Cause remember I will have too wait for burn in until I hear their full potential. If I don't end up liking after a week and they say I can't return it I already used it I'm Stuck. That's what happened with the M50s. Heard rave reviews, assumed they were incredible and would blow my mind and they were simply not for me. The 940s sound exactly like what I want but again I won't raise my expectations. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back