My new Joseph Grado HP2i & HP2is
Aug 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #76 of 178
Hi all, may be someone can help me: who know if the HP2 series go better in a balanced way (Millet 307a), because I'm not convinced to cut the original cable of my improoved HP2...

Thanks for helping me !

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #77 of 178
I am not an expert on the HP2 (I do know them though, although I never owned them), but I have done a lot of experiments with balancing headphones and own(ed) several balanced amps.
In my experience not all headphones benefit equally from balancing, some improve considerably more than others. The HD650 benefits the most of all I have heard, K701 some, K340 not at all, to give some examples I've tried. High impedance headphones seem to benefit more than low impedance headphones. The most benefit is always in tighter bass and improved dynamics, sometimes also better detail and that often results in better soundstage.
Those are not areas that the HP2 needs improvement in my opinion. They are also low impedance headphones.
I think I would not do it personally. I would not expect any worthwhile improvement and besides, I would, like you, hesitate to "maim" a very special one-of-a-kind pair of headphones.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #79 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not an expert on the HP2 (I do know them though, although I never owned them), but I have done a lot of experiments with balancing headphones and own(ed) several balanced amps.
In my experience not all headphones benefit equally from balancing, some improve considerably more than others. The HD650 benefits the most of all I have heard, K701 some, K340 not at all, to give some examples I've tried. High impedance headphones seem to benefit more than low impedance headphones. The most benefit is always in tighter bass and improved dynamics, sometimes also better detail and that often results in better soundstage.
Those are not areas that the HP2 needs improvement in my opinion. They are also low impedance headphones.
I think I would not do it personally. I would not expect any worthwhile improvement and besides, I would, like you, hesitate to "maim" a very special one-of-a-kind pair of headphones.

Very good advice and I agree. I never thought about the impedance being a factor, but it makes sense.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #80 of 178
I think plenty have stated that balanced wasn't "worth it". Of course, that's assuming you don't already own a 307a. At that point, go right ahead.

If you decide to resell, just cut the connector off again and add a Furutech plug if the buyer wants SE. They're already "non-stock", so you shouldn't be risking retail.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #81 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone, in the history of Head-Fi, ever stated that balanced wasn't better?

I know I've read posts in the past here about it not being better on certain phones but it's rare.

Over at Audiogon and other forums in the speaker world it is well established that some gear benefits and some actually sound worse going balanced. It's only at headfi that balanced is a bit overstated. Just my observation.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #82 of 178
I asked Joe this very question about 9 months ago; specifically if modding the HP2 to a balanced style would be of benefit. He thought about it for a minute before answering and then stated an emphatic "No, there would not be appreciable improvement" and did not recommend it. Now, I don't believe Joe was speaking from experience but rather he seemed to be going through the mental gymnastics/calculations to come to his conclusion. Whatever calculations he was doing in his mind led him to believe going balanced would not help much if at all.

It is interesting to hear the experience of others who have actually done it as that information is invaluable.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #83 of 178
Very interesting, thanks a lot !!! Words of Joe ... this is the max !

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #84 of 178
I listened to a set of HP1000's that were balanced with APS through the TTVJ 307A at the last chicago meetand that was probably the best I have ever heard them, including my own set that received the "i" treatment earlier this year from Joe. I am not sure whether it was the balanced drive, the amp itself, the APS cable, or a combination of things (most likely) that created that wonderful sound. I am not sure of your soldering skills, but it should not be the most difficult thing to have someone else do.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #85 of 178
as for balanced hp2s, i had balanced v3 hp2 and balanced cardas hp2(still have it).

unbalanced hp2 sounds more focused and.. ill have to think(hear) about it later.

balanced sounds somewhat more.. analytical and power hungry compared to unbalanced.

i still a pair of stock hp2 and balanced cardas hp2 so ill have to do a side by side comparison for further impression..

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #86 of 178
good, let me know if you prefer the umbalanced hp2 or the balanced one. which amp do you use with them?

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #87 of 178
i prefer balanced over unbalanced, 90% of times. but there are times that i want to hear it as.. just unbalanced. they still sound magical unbalanced imo..

if there is nothing wrong with the stock cable, i wouldnt bother recabling it balanced.

May 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #88 of 178
HERE THE LATEST HP2is (improoved/signature), read what Joe said about THIS HP2 ...

This is the very best pair of  HP2is  - still my reference setup, here some pics of them... (The cans arrived two years ago, and now you can see them here...).

[size=13.0pt]"Dear Nicola, I am sorry that it took so long to complete this project for you, but my work load the past 6-8 weeks has been unbelieveable.[/size]
[size=13.0pt]To make it up to you, I decided to make you a brand new pair of earphones with all brand new production parts.[/size]
[size=13pt]This is the first pair of HP1000 headphones manufactured in 25 years. You have my permission to use this mail as a letter of authenticity.[/size]
[size=13pt]They have all of the latest upgrading and I must say they sound absolutely gorgeous!!![/size]
[size=13pt]I finished them this morning. I will break them in for you and I will ship them to you tomorrow".[/size]
[size=13pt]Joe Grado[/size]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[size=13pt]Here the dedicated two box integrated amp...[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back