My new ARIA has arrived.
Feb 3, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #361 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Sure... but what's your point of criticism on my way of describing gear, actually?

My impulse of criticism was more instinctive than rational, but I guess it's what feels like an abuse of analytic and rethoric clarity (in such an irrational and intricate field as sonic taste, perception, and affinity) that tickles me a little.

But then such a defect I might have to revert to myself, too
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #363 of 396

Feb 4, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #364 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Equally offensive as 'neutral' : 'Musical' ( what the hell that means anyways? )
biggrin.gif

That's further proof that most audiophile conversation is nonsensical mumbo-jumbo
biggrin.gif
At least in the half-empty-glass perspective, that of the sceptics about (audiophile) language as a means to convey personal perceptions. Call me a sceptic
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #365 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
That's further proof that most audiophile conversation is nonsensical mumbo-jumbo
biggrin.gif
At least in the half-empty-glass perspective, that of the sceptics about (audiophile) language as a means to convey personal perceptions. Call me a sceptic
smily_headphones1.gif

I for one don't think audiophile language is useless, nor are acoustical/optical/sensual analogies nor descriptions of perceived mere technical properties such as accuracy or sonic balance. It's the natural way how information flows from humans to humans without bandwidth restriction. And somehow it seems to be useful to you, too, since you're a quite active (as well as passive) forum user. BTW, I consider myself a skeptic as well.

Feb 4, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #366 of 396
Some is, some isn't. "Neutral" is very useful for me as a term, as opposed to colored in some way (warm, bright, etc). "Musical" I have always found fault with, but have come to understand what people mean by it -- they mean euphonically colored to a "prettier" sound, most commonly associates with the warmer lower midrange and upper bass of vacuum tubes.

Feb 4, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #367 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I for one don't think audiophile language is useless, nor are acoustical/optical/sensual analogies nor descriptions of perceived mere technical properties such as accuracy or sonic balance. It's the natural way how information flows from humans to humans without bandwidth restriction. And somehow it seems to be useful to you, too, since you're a quite active (as well as passive) forum user. BTW, I consider myself a skeptic as well.

Yep, useless is too strong. Limited I like better.

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #368 of 396
I am impressed with how helpful you all are to other head-fiers, this seems like a very strong forum. So I've been a (broke) music lover all my life and now that I have a job and some extra $ its time to invest in some audio equip...

I just ordered a pair of K701s which I plan on enjoying with a nice introductory headphone amp. The Aria seems to be a great buy and people are recognizing that it gets along well with most high end headphones.

Now that some of you have been able to experience your Arias first hand would you still consider it a good deal at $450 US? I am seriously considering sending the confirmation email and pairing my soon to arrive K701s with something nice. 50 more bucks still worth it?!
THANKS
eggosmile.gif

edit: btw, my current headphones are Sony MDR-V700DJ (its okay to laugh, i'm ready to move on now)

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #369 of 396
I'd say it's a VERY good deal for $450. Not sure how it will be with your 701's, as I have never heard them, but the Aria is, IMO, a great value for the money.

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #370 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHeMoSrTeY
Now that some of you have been able to experience your Arias first hand would you still consider it a good deal at $450 US? I am seriously considering sending the confirmation email and pairing my soon to arrive K701s with something nice. 50 more bucks still worth it?!
THANKS
eggosmile.gif

Definitely IMO. I would pay $450 for it if I had to do it again.

Ant

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #371 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHeMoSrTeY
THANKS
eggosmile.gif

It's definitely worth it, and the amp sounds great with K701 !

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #372 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agogic
Freut mich noch einen Kopfhörer fan hier zu treffen und sogar aus Düsseldorf. Gratuliere zu neue "Aria"!
smily_headphones1.gif

Da sind ein Paar von uns. Bin selbst von Stuttgart.

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #373 of 396
An update to my audio blips via USB mentioned a few pages ago.

I decided that the problem was related to windows' inability to multitask rather than the fault of the hardware either in my PC or in the Aria.

I therefore took the rather drastic step of switching to Linux! Kbuntu to be exact.

The problem is now gone, or rather, replaced with the one of remfamiliarising myself with a Unix environment!
eggosmile.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #374 of 396
Feb 15, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #375 of 396
Anybody have any experience with using an amp with an Iriver ihp120 with Rockbox? Right now Im using the Iriver as a source with FLACs, going out of the line out and into the Aria then out to my 595s. My question about this setup is that I have the bass on the Iriver turned up to about 12db. IMO this sounds pretty good, really good sometimes depending on the song,but Im pretty new to all this. Should I be doing this? If I leave the bass on the Iriver at 0db then it sounds pretty thin and uninteresting. Any thoughts/opinions?

Edit: I take that back, it doesnt sound thin and uninteresting, it just gets louder but with less bass than I would like. Mostly noticeable with kick drums and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back