My new ARIA has arrived.
Feb 3, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #346 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
A bass lite with Aria?
Not with any of my sources.
Even the 271s outputs respectable bass with great articulation and defnition.
If you have a bass problem, I suspect it's the source.
Its tonal balance is leaner than my Headline, but it can produce an appropriate bass if the source is up to it.

My memory might be wrong but compared to the Earmax Pro and balanced Dynamight, the Aria had a bit less bass presence on all three sources (McCormack UDP-1, Dodson DA-217 MKII and a high end custom cdp). While the Aria's bass was more refined, better textured and tighter, the EMP had a stronger bass presence. This is not to say the EMP is more accurate, on the contrary, but I merely wanted to stress that depending on the headphones and especially personal preference, one might tend towards a more emphasised bass presentation. With the AKG K701 for example, which I heard on two auditions, I prefer the EMP's slightly stronger but also "wider" bass. The Dynamight on the other hand takes the Aria's bass definition and adds more punch. Again, I can only say this from memory and at that time I didn't specifically listen for bass differences but I think it was quite apparent nonetheless.

I think a source can only do so much with regards to frequency response and if you compare two upper end cd players, both with an even-handed frequency response, I doubt there will significant differences in the bass output for given frequencies. However, if somebody were to prefer his bass a tad stronger, the Aria might not be first choice. Certainly, it's also headphone-specific.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #348 of 396
Quote:

While the Aria's bass was more refined, better textured and tighter, the EMP had a stronger bass presence. This is not to say the EMP is more accurate, on the contrary, but I merely wanted to stress that depending on the headphones and especially personal preference, one might tend towards a more emphasised bass presentation.

This is it in a nutshell, I believe. The Aria has tight, controlled, very realistic bass. It is NOT emphasized at all. That made it, for me, a better match for the Beyer DT770 than the DT880 for example, since the DT880 leans toward the light side on the bass, and the DT770 of course does not.

But the Aria is a FANTASTIC sounding amp IMO.

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #349 of 396
JaZZ,

I continue to find this ease of use of the word "accuracy" rather insidious.

Music listening is nothing like a scientific discipline. Just a reminder
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #350 of 396
Tao...

...the EMP will have stronger bass than most solid-state amps with most headphones, especially such with low impedance, because -- as a consequence of its OTL design -- it has a relatively high output impedance which will interact with the headphone's impedance curve, thus produce a slight bass hump at the resonance frequency. I guess it's around 45 ohm. The stronger bass you heard from the K 701 is clearly attributable to this. To my ears the Aria prototype has a very flat (bass) response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I continue to find this ease of use of the word "accuracy" rather insidious. Music listening is nothing like a scientific discipline. Just a reminder
smily_headphones1.gif

Music listening isn't, but music reproduction is. It's all about accuracy if you have high demands on high fidelity... and want to listen to music, not technics. To me the soul of the music is best conveyed by maximal accuracy (as opposed to «musical» colorations). But don't think this has anything to do with analyticalness!
cool.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #351 of 396
What's wrong with describing amplification in terms of accuracy? What term should we be using for an amplifier that produces a crystal clear, uncolored sound?

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #352 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Music listening isn't, but music reproduction is. It's all about accuracy if you have high demands on high fidelity... and want to listen to music, not technics. To me the soul of the music is best conveyed by maximal accuracy (as opposed to «musical» colorations). But don't think this has anything to do with analyticalness!
cool.gif

In fact I'd agree with you here, individually speaking. But I feel it's no more that simple when you open the scope to the rest of humankind
tongue.gif
I mean, it is apparent by now, to me, that we as individuals all have a variously partial perception of such a complex substance as is sound, and thus a subjective, reductive judgment of sonic fidelity, ultimately corresponding to the inherent partiality of our nature of "particuliers".

Taking account of this principle of individual partiality, my belief is that there actually exist just as many variations on the "accuracy" theme as the number of individuals walking this planet.
tongue.gif

That's what I mean when suggesting that "accuracy" is one of the more insidious words of the audiophile jargon.

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #353 of 396
Quote:

...it is apparent by now, to me, that we as individuals all have a variously partial perception of such a complex substance as is sound, and thus a subjective, reductive judgment of sonic fidelity, ultimately corresponding to the inherent partiality of our nature of "particuliers".

Subjectivity is in the nature of perception and reports to someone else. You can't trust my reviews 100%, no matter if I talk about beautiful rendering of sexy voices or accuracy. Anyway, you may have missed that I was trying to introduce a reference for accuracy: the original signal -- and that's what I was referring to.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #354 of 396
Quote:

Tao...

...the EMP will have stronger bass than most solid-state amps with most headphones, especially such with low impedance, because -- as a consequence of its OTL design -- it has a relatively high output impedance which will interact with the headphone's impedance curve, thus produce a slight bass hump at the resonance frequency. I guess it's around 45 ohm. The stronger bass you heard from the K 701 is clearly attributable to this. To my ears the Aria prototype has a very flat (bass) response.

Thanks for the info Marcel. But didn't you also hear a stronger and perhaps better deep bass on the Dynamight than the Aria? I thought the Dynamight's bass was really quite astounding. Not sure how flat that was but it sounded very good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
But the Aria is a FANTASTIC sounding amp IMO.

Oh, I never doubted that.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a fantastic amp for the money. Otherwise I wouldn't have reported so positively about the prototype. But I think there always remain issues that require closer scrutiny.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #355 of 396
Quote:

Subjectivity is in the nature of perception and reports to someone else. You can't trust my reviews 100%, no matter if I talk about beautiful rendering of sexy voices or accuracy.

Yup, and obviously the vice versa as well, that is, if it were me talking to you about the beauties of my headphones.

Quote:

Anyway, you may have missed that I was trying to introduce a reference for accuracy: the original signal -- and that's what I was referring to.

True, but even that ostensibly straightforward comparison is dependent on the same basic principle of partiality of perception. The diverse focus on different aspects of the original signal among different people will inevitably affect the evaluation of the correspondence to the amplified one.

And this without taking all the "benign coloration" matter into account, but perhaps it is subtly implicit somehow.

Just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #356 of 396
Quote:

Yup, and obviously the vice versa as well, that is, if it were me talking to you about the beauties of my headphones.

True, but even that ostensibly straightforward comparison is dependent on the same basic principle of partiality of perception. The diverse focus on different aspects of the original signal among different people will inevitably affect the evaluation of the correspondence to the amplified one.

And this without taking all the "benign coloration" matter into account, but perhaps it is subtly implicit somehow.

Just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since we're all inherently biased and perceive things differently, there's no point in communicating? LOL - what exactly do you recommend we do?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #357 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
Since we're all inherently biased and perceive things differently, there's no point in communicating? LOL - what exactly do you recommend we do?
rolleyes.gif

Seek affinities (which requires communicating).

That was easy.
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #358 of 396
Quote:

Seek affinities (which requires communicating).

That was easy.
tongue.gif

Anyone with an affinity for accuracy should check out the Aria!

Indeed, that was easy!
580smile.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #359 of 396
I'm sure about that
580smile.gif

My reasoning was general, and really not intended to say anything against the Aria.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #360 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
...didn't you also hear a stronger and perhaps better deep bass on the Dynamight than the Aria? I thought the Dynamight's bass was really quite astounding. Not sure how flat that was but it sounded very good.

Actually I can't remember that I was enthusiastic about anything on the DynaMight, but the bass was hard to criticise nonetheless. It may have been better indeed, but I can't recall exactly. Although I remember to have found it quite lean... really! And most important: I didn't have the Aria then -- we were comparing the DynaMight with the HA-2 (MkII). -- (BTW, was I saying anywhere the Aria be perfect?)

Quote:

Sure... but what's your point of criticism on my way of describing gear, actually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back