My IEM Round-Up (64 Earphones Compared with a LOT MORE Coming)
Oct 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #166 of 202
If your finding the UM2 muddy I guess you will want a really clear sound but are not prepared to lose the warm spongy bass of it which is far from huge but pleasent musical. This rules out the Etymotic stuff as they are crystal clear but to clinical lacking bass. The EQ-5 would be a suited upgrade and will from dissapoint. If you can stretch to it the Heir 4.Ai will be perfect as it has a slight warm tinge and not shabby bass but is super clear. The westone 3 I think is not what your after from what I have read. It is a V shape with a fair amount if bass, if UM2 is muddy probably not the way to go. For a bit of clarity to go along side the UM2 I would say the Rock It R-50 is not a bad option!

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #167 of 202
If your finding the UM2 muddy I guess you will want a really clear sound but are not prepared to lose the warm spongy bass of it which is far from huge but pleasent musical. This rules out the Etymotic stuff as they are crystal clear but to clinical lacking bass. The EQ-5 would be a suited upgrade and will from dissapoint. If you can stretch to it the Heir 4.Ai will be perfect as it has a slight warm tinge and not shabby bass but is super clear. The westone 3 I think is not what your after from what I have read. It is a V shape with a fair amount if bass, if UM2 is muddy probably not the way to go. For a bit of clarity to go along side the UM2 I would say the Rock It R-50 is not a bad option!

Hey thanks for the suggestions! I don't think I'm willing to shell out $428 yet for a pair of Heir Audio 4.Ai plus shipping, especially since I don't have any good sources to play them with yet. I'm hoping it's just the filters that are causing the unclear sound. I got them used off of the Classifieds. I guess I'll be going for the Ortofon's if I'm still unsatisfied with the sound after the filter replacement.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #168 of 202
Okay, no the 4.Ai was just a suggestion as no budget was stated, the Ortofon is a very nice phone and it comes with replaceable filters :wink:  Are the filters the  same colours as the UM2 stock filters otherwise sound will be altered. Old filters is likely the problem as when i heard the UM2 it was far from muddy.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #169 of 202
Alright well thanks again! I sure do hope the new filters will make a difference.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #170 of 202
Hi Sonny

I have the fxd70 and 80's, i want to upgrade to a better sounding iem but my budget is tight, $200 max.

I want a big upgrade, not a sidegrade nor a light upgrade, i want to be blown away, i dont want to spend 200 bucks in something that wont blow me away.

I dont like neutral sounding iems, nor bass cannons on my ears but with enough bass for Electronica/Trance music with better mids and highs than the fxd80 and 70.

The sony xba-3 seems like the choice, have you heard it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, great thread!

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #171 of 202
Quote:
Hi Sonny
I have the fxd70 and 80's, i want to upgrade to a better sounding iem but my budget is tight, $200 max.
I want a big upgrade, not a sidegrade nor a light upgrade, i want to be blown away, i dont want to spend 200 bucks in something that wont blow me away.
I dont like neutral sounding iems, nor bass cannons on my ears but with enough bass for Electronica/Trance music with better mids and highs than the fxd80 and 70.
The sony xba-3 seems like the choice, have you heard it? Any other suggestions?
Thanks, great thread!

I'm not exactly Swimsonny, but I think the XBA-3 is exactly what you need if you want fuller mids with a soundstage that's even bigger. See if any head-fi'ers would be willing to do a quick loan for you.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #172 of 202
I'm not exactly Swimsonny, but I think the XBA-3 is exactly what you need if you want fuller mids with a soundstage that's even bigger. See if any head-fi'ers would be willing to do a quick loan for you.

What about those gr07? You declared your love to them in your review thread :o:D

Sorry Sony, anyway you got any suggestions?

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #173 of 202
Quote:
What about those gr07? You declared your love to them in your review thread
redface.gif
:D
Sorry Sony, anyway you got any suggestions?

I'm just saying that it's going to be hard to find a full upgrade to the FXD80. The most you'll get in this price range (and anything below $500) is a sound signature change. Based on your description of what you want, the XBA-3 seems to fit best.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #174 of 202
I'm just saying that it's going to be hard to find a full upgrade to the FXD80. The most you'll get in this price range (and anything below $500) is a sound signature change. Based on your description of what you want, the XBA-3 seems to fit best.

Okok. Thanks jamaican kid :D

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #175 of 202
Having not heard the JVC and the XBA-3, I think ekes reccomendation should be taken seriously. However it seems that JVC are supposedly very nice, even to some edging towards the very best, when you get to the top, it's more preference than anything and slight technichal advancements, to say you want to be completley blown away, not impossible and if you go for the Sony hopefully it will do it, but could be a big ask. Good luck anyhow.

Actually, I just re read what you want and the Ortofon EQ-5 fits your bill. It has a RRP over your budget but I think there has been a fair few price drops etc.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #177 of 202
Thanks for the amazing comparison mate!

Any chance you get the Yamaha EPH-100s in there someday?

Also, thanks for your confirmation on the Ortofon e-Q5s. I thoroughly love these amazing IEMs. :D

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #178 of 202
Glad you like it, I have worked hard on it.

I am waiting the Yamaha UK PR to restock early next year and I will review. Also will get there headphones.

Yeh they are awesome and that should help you grasp how they compare to others.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #179 of 202
Don't trust anything Swim says 
wink_face.gif
, no but really I go to your comparison chart quite a bit when there's an IEM you've reviewed that I'm looking into getting because you here most IEM's the way I do and that's a big help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back