My iem love affair so far,SM3,triple fi 10,ie7,ie8,se420,custom3, eq7,westone 3,monster pro copper / golds,se530,pioneer se-clx9
Mar 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #211 of 651
I have now had the coppers burning in for the last two nights with music pumping through them and have been listening to them all day ,so would say i now have around 30 hrs on them.
I think the coppers are a pretty good iem although i can't say im as impressed with them as i am with the golds,the coppers seem to do everything they do really well but they don't do enything spectaculary, for me ,they don't really have that WOW factor that i was hoping for after reading all the possitive reviews on them.
The monster turbine pro golds with that fantasic bass is something special as is the tf10 with that very sparkly top end or the ie8 with that fantastic soundstage,but nothing really jumps out at me with the coppers to say listen to me im a special sounding iem
popcorn.gif

Maybe im being a bit harsh on the coppers, but they do have a lot off competition within my collection, i think they sound similular to the se530 in many ways, but the se530 have more weight within the mids than the coppers do
smile_phones.gif

The sound of the coppers has change quit a bit over the last 30hrs, strait out of the box there was some what muddy and heavier than it is now,its cleaned up nicely now and thined out quite abit, certanly its not as impactfull or hard hitting as the golds bass,still a fair bit of detail in the bass though

The mids are the coppers strongest point i feel, more forward and quite lush ,but not quite as nice as the mids on the se530, there is the same level of detail in the mids as on the golds,im thinking they come accross as more forward and lush than the golds becouse there is less bass for them to compete with on the coppers.

The treble was quite vieled out of the box but has opened a lot over the last 30hrs, i think the treble has improved the most from out of the box.There is the same level of detail in the treble of the coppers as there is in the golds, (no more,no less),JUST A BIT LACKING IN SPARKLE

Ive tryed all the tips i have that fit with them, at first going for tips that favored the treble ,but now the treble has opened up,ive settled for the sennhieser double flange tips to give abit more punch to the bass

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #213 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoVarR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lucozade

As you consider whether or not to overpay for Cooper if you compare them with the Gold? What they better?

I only paid £5 more for the coppers than i did for the golds, i personally would not pay the extra $100 for the coppers at monsters full retail price now ive heard both, like i said i prefure the golds and dont think the coppers are a $100 better.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #214 of 651
After listening to my monster turbine pro golds for two days then moving on to two days with the coppers, i thought i would try the listen to an album with the coppers than listen to that same album again right away with my klispsh custom 3.

WoW such a difference, first thing i noticed is i had to turn the volume down about 15 percent ,both the monsters are a little harder to drive than all my other iems, by that i mean you have to turn up the volume to get the same sound level out of the monsters.

Secondly and what struck me the most is that the music sounds so much more lively and exciting on the custom 3,i think this is mainly due to the brighter more sparkly treble

here is how i rate my iems now (best first)

klipsch custom 3 ( best all rounder ,reference quality sound)
ortofone eq7 ( crystal clear ,pure sound ) almost reference quality
shure se530 ( second best all rounder ,fantasic mids,vocals )
ie8 ( best sounstage fantastic detailed treble)
monster turbine gold ( best detailed bass & impact )
tf 10 ( best sparkly treble ,reference quality sound,)
monster turbine copper ( good all rounder ,non fatauging in sound or comfort)
ie7 ( secound best soundstage, great for movies)
westone 3 ( best detail retreval)
se420 ( yuck
frown.gif
)

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #216 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the PFE tips or even the sony hybrids on the MTPCs.

The auvios are an interesting choice as well.

Also, at least another 70 hrs. burn in.

@ kunlun
Ok i will pick up some of them pfe tips next week and maybe some of them sony tips and see how i get on with them
smile_phones.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #217 of 651
70 hours? Meh... Burn in is quite short if you actually push the drivers. Casual listening at quiet to medium levels won't do it and would take forever.

The Custom 3 is one of the most balanced certainly. I think it's a little weak on detail though and some of the finer information is lost. You might want to give the RE252 a try. There was one in the for sale section for pretty cheap, and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #218 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ kunlun
Ok i will pick up some of them pfe tips next week and maybe some of them sony tips and see how i get on with them
smile_phones.gif

Couldn't hurt and I think it helps as the stock tips are a little dark. The pfe tips take quite a bit of fiddling sometimes, so if you get a muffled sound, fiddle a bit.

I went back to my custom 2s for a listen and was reminded of how different the Klipsch sound signiture is (plus, BA driven earphones). I like dynamics, they reproduce sound as I'm used to hearing it live, but I can see the appeal of the BA sound. The custom 2s certainly have a brighter treble, it's a little harsh, I'm sure the custom 3s do a better job.

And I did notice that the MTPC doesn't sound quite as loud on my 5th generation ipod than the custom 2s. The MTPCs start to come more alive at about 65% of the volume range. So, they do need a little more juice, perhaps.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #219 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn-in, the panacea for any earphone that disappoints the listener.

Half a half. There is some burn in required to loosen up new hardware, but after that point the sound won't really change and the rest is all in the head. I think some folks also don't really attempt to burn in their earphones either, simply listening to them and low levels to where they almost never get fully burned in. I got a pair of IE8s that had 30-40 hours of use already and they weren't fully burned in yet. I finished the process casually in a couple hours, and that was it. They simply were never really pushed by the previous user, and it was noticeable. I do agree with you though. I feel a lot of people do keep expecting hardware they don't fully like to magically sound better and attribute burn in as the culprit when it really is just the sound signature of the driver. Some people's and manufacturers' claims of 100, 200, 400, etc. hours is laughable. People just feed their own fallacy and manufacturers give the people what they want to hear. It also gives manufacturers time to have a person use their product for a high length of time to hopefully get used to it or at least accept it enough not to return it...or break it so you can't return it. It's all win for manufacturers. Burn in is real, but it's very short if done right (minutes not days) and is only of the task of loosening up the freshly manufactured assembly.

Burn out...that's an interesting concept. For me, that means it's broken.
tongue.gif
That would take a bit of negligence or at least ignorance to an abundant amount of distortion from the driver before it breaks. There is always noticeable strain and tonal change to indicate the mechanical limits of the driver.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #220 of 651
Burn in dicussions, not an easy task to take on. In my experience, I have not herad burn in on BA designs, but have with dynamic, and the new moving armerature. I thought the orto changed as much as any iem ever has. I purchased two iem's twice, (the s4 because I thought maybe the first one was bad) The S4, and the ie7....the results for my ears were an easily detected difference in sound. I'm not sure everyone has the patience to discuss such a topic (myself included) but for practical purpose, those that don't hear or believe in burn in are just as convinced the other way. That's fine with me, if the worst problem we had in the world was "burn in" debate. I think things would be much better than they are.....I'd like to think, that the topic would not lead to wars, or a new political party.

Edit: I just realized how butchered up my post was.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #221 of 651
^ I'm with mvw2 on this subject. Though I've been a burn-in sceptic for a long time. But I recently bought backup pairs for my Playaz N1 and Sonia II and compared them to the original ones. There was a significant difference, the original ones sounded much smoother. Then I let the backup phones play on medium volume for 48 hours, after that the difference was negligible. Granted, these are cheap IEMs, but what's true for them might as well be true for the pricier ones.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #222 of 651
Guys, I have been reading this thread for many weeks, and have it 'subcribed' on my links, as Lucozade has not only a vast array of iems, but has provided many views on them, many of which I enjoy reading.

I have been reading about 'burn in' from time to time, and I have read the posts made on this thread, and while I can appreciate both sides, this has de-railed the thread somewhat.

Therefore - lets get this thread pulled back on track! Lucozade - its time for an update on the gold v coppers, and those mighty Ortofons
L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #224 of 651
What I find interesting about the burn-in 'debate' is how everyone focuses on the BA vs Dynamic driver question. You guys forget that headphones are a system including the CABLES. Regardless of the drivers u need cable burn-in. If any1 says cable burn-in is imagined I highly doubt their knowledge and experience in anything related to sound. So yes IMO always burn in your phones, not just for the drivers!

Now back to the thread...

Have a nice day all!!
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #225 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find interesting about the burn-in 'debate' is how everyone focuses on the BA vs Dynamic driver question. You guys forget that headphones are a system including the CABLES. Regardless of the drivers u need cable burn-in. If any1 says cable burn-in is imagined I highly doubt their knowledge and experience in anything related to sound. So yes IMO always burn in your phones, not just for the drivers!

Now back to the thread...

Have a nice day all!!
icon10.gif

Hi guys ,i agree totally with that statment ANAXILUS,
i have said several time through out the life of this thread that i have noticed a burn in effect on every iem i own

As for the balanced armiture drivers i usually find they take enything from 10mins upto an 1hr for the burn in affect to bring them to there final sound sig, I belive this is the eletronic components bedding in ,including cables, crossover circuits and enything else thats inside these things,its defently no illouson, i have very sensitve ears to these things, and have noticed it time and again when first trying new iems, even my favorite custom 3s sounded really rough for the first 30-40mins before they settled down and smoothed out.

AS for the dymanic drivers i think these go through the same electronic component bedding in, plus in addition the moving drivers do take time to become more fexible, in the case of the ie8, they sounded pretty bad out of the box, around the 60hr mark there was an instant dramatic improvement ,and they were in my ears at the time this happened,after that they got steadily better with every hr i put on them up untill around the 150 mark were they reached there pinical ,the ie7 sounded even worse out of the box,very harsh and sibilant, and it was a much graduale inprovement taking around 200hrs to reach there pinical of sound which is now vey injoyable although i can instanlty hear there limitations if i go strait from the ie7 to the ie8 or eny of my other iems which are in a different leauge to be honest (except for the se420 ) which just sounds like it sucks the life out of the bass and treble leaving the mids stranded in space ,murdering the music to me now.

Thats my take on the burn in effect and i stand by it
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back