My DIY electrostatic headphones
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #1,037 of 4,061
From my experience with Stax headphones, you should see quite a bit of an overshoot at the free air resonance. It's mostly controlled by the material I think so wachara's set must be doing the same thing.

Now, if the free air resonance is low enough, that may not be objectionable, or even enhancing the experience as wachara puts it.

I would have though you need some kind of low pass filter to compensate for the front back cancellation though but it seems wachara experienced that if the area is large enough you can get by (this is very nearfield after all so you may indeed limit the cancellation effect by keeping the radiation surface large).

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #1,038 of 4,061
One of these days I should learn to make some measurements as I can't really tell anything about the resonance. 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #1,039 of 4,061
Am happy to measure these for you if you send a pair my way wachara :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,041 of 4,061
I am quite curious about your open baffle transducer and your sr-omega replica (the one you prefer over the 009)! Both can be driven by pro-bias amp right?

I have returned my in-ear mics because I had matching and snr issues but this would motivate me to restart working on this test rig! I can measure on a flat baffle of coarse but it'd be nice to have a calibrated response instead...

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,042 of 4,061
No problem.  I can probably send them over to you maybe at the end of next month.  Let me show them to my Thai friends here first.

Here is how they look today.  With the additional elastic bands at the front and back, the phones now can be sit on the head more securely.  I'm now very happy with them.

Wachara C.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,043 of 4,061
Awesome wachara, that will give me time to prepare too :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,044 of 4,061
Awesome wachara, that will give me time to prepare too :)
May I put up my hand to have a demo of it when you receive it please? With Wachara's permission, naturally.

Happy to bring the Invicta over to hook up to your amp, & bring lunch with a bottle of wine over to your place, let the kids play & the wives talk.

I'd love to give this DIY a listen :).

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,045 of 4,061
Quote:
May I put up my hand to have a demo of it when you receive it please? With Wachara's permission, naturally.

Happy to bring the Invicta over to hook up to your amp, & bring lunch with a bottle of wine over to your place, let the kids play & the wives talk.

I'd love to give this DIY a listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Anakchan,

I'll be so glad if you could try them and let me know your impression. 
beyersmile.png

Wachara C.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,046 of 4,061

I'd love to give this DIY a listen :).

Sounds like a plan :). Let's give some time to wachara to get the shipment ready and for me to get the measuring rig to the next level...

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,050 of 4,061
I did a comparison listening test yesterday between my previous oval shape and the new headphones.  What I heard were very different sounds between the two.  The new phones sound very relax and laid back while the oval shape one had more details and aggressiveness.  

About the efficiency, the oval shape was about 10-15% more efficient.  To get the same listening level, I had to turn up and down when changing the phones.  

I think the main thing that makes them sound so differently is the fact that one is seal while the other is open.  This also affects greatly on their efficiencies.
It's very difficult to say which ones sound better because they are very different.  I like them both very much though.  
floatsmile.png

Wachara C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back