my attempt to purchase a source fell through...
Oct 21, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #31 of 60
Drill some holes in your wall and mount some shelving there, above/to the side of the monitor.

Off topic, I know, but I wanted to know what kind of tabla you have. I've been wanting to get into hand drumming (took some frame drum classes with Glen Valez a while back). So any reccomendation on a good beginning drum (tabla/doumbek/djembe)?

Oct 21, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #32 of 60
guys, it's alright. The shelf (afore-mentioned window sill) next to my desk will work just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

grancasa, I bought my tabla through tabla.com, which happens to be located very close to where I live. my first teacher knew the owner very well, so I was able to get a very nice, hand-picked set. I might post some pictures of my drums soon, since I got a friend to take some with a digital camera.

They were made by an indian company called bina, and they really sound great. The dayan (small, wooden drum) has a beautiful long ring to it when struck (or "decay" in audiophile terms
biggrin.gif
), which to me is the sign of a well made tabla. I really am in love with them.
smily_headphones1.gif
However, I'm not sure if every set bought from tabla.com will be of the same quality as mine (although I do think that they'll sell you a good set). going to a store and trying one firsthand will not help if you're a beginner either, since I know that before I played tabla I would never have known how to judge the quality of a set. The best advice I can give you is to not skimp on them. when it comes to tabla, you get what you pay for, and cheap student sets are not really worth considering if you actually intend to learn how to play them.

That said, if my tabla is any indicator of the quality of the sets sold by tabla.com, I cannot reccomend them enough. But if you're just getting into hand drumming, then tabla might be over the top. A doumbek or a djembe might be more appropriate. The doumbek is not a very difficult drum to learn, it just takes some expirimentation and practice. After I bought mine I practiced constantly, because you can just have it in your lap whenever you're sitting down and be playing with it. I always have a drum near my desk these days.
smily_headphones1.gif
Even though you're not carefully practicing, just using it and getting to know it can be very useful. at least it was to me. Besides, a doumbek is much cheaper than a tabla! A nice cast-aluminum doumbek with a mylar head (that's what I have, and it's fantastic) will only cost maybe $100 or $120.

Only get the tabla if you intend to take lessons. look around and make sure there is someone in your area who you can take lessons from. otherwise you'll be totally in the dark, and there is pretty much no way you'll be able to learn. There are videos available, but I have a feeling that they won't match the usefulness of having someone right there to help you and guide you.

by the way, if you do intend to learn tabla, I hope you like sitting cross-legged.
wink.gif
The thought never even crossed my mind before I bought my set, and I hate it!

Oct 21, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
grancasa, I bought my tabla through tabla.com, which happens to be located very close to where I live. ETC, ETC, ETC.....

Now, now, young man. Do not change the subject.

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #34 of 60
¿qué, usted no desea oír hablar mi tabla, onix?
wink.gif

hooooray! rejoice, fellow head-fiers! My SCD-CE775 shipped today!
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

¿qué, usted no desea oír hablar mi tabla, onix?
wink.gif

hooooray! rejoice, fellow head-fiers! My SCD-CE775 shipped today!
biggrin.gif

Translation: "Don't you want to hear my tabla speak?". If music instruments start talking to you, no wonder you want to hang up your cd player in the window
wink.gif
. Anyway, for some reason I keep thinking the CDP is way too exposed. I guess I am just too paranoid about electronic equipment.

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #36 of 60
dammit! A friend told me that was correct!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

it was [size=medium]supposed[/size] to say "what, you don't want to hear about my tabla onix?" but oh well....
mad.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

dammit! A friend told me that was correct!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

it was [size=medium]supposed[/size] to say "what, you don't want to hear about my tabla onix?" but oh well....
mad.gif

Hey. Perhaps your friend needs a special Spanish course or something. You know, I am really curious about the place where you plan to put your CDP. Please post a picture if you have the time. Take care and enjoy collegue, don't get too stoned
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #38 of 60
hey, come on now onix, it's college! I got very, very stoned my first week here. that was a learning experience!
biggrin.gif
What do you expect, though, when I'm living in the musician's hall?

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #39 of 60
Dude, I am starting to think that having the get together in yer dorm room may get crowded.

(Kidding , buddy, I think I have a place, if a certain KW will get his s**t in order
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #40 of 60
I'm very positive that a meet in my dorm room would get way crowded as well, so you're not alone!

Oct 22, 2002 at 10:01 AM Post #41 of 60
Hey Neruda, how many courses you're taking? Do you have any mid-terms, ASSignments and papers???

It seems to me that you are spending too much time here and not getting your tuition fees worth.
evil_smiley.gif

I'm also wondering you'll spend more money either on Alcohol or on equipment.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

hey, come on now onix, it's college! I got very, very stoned my first week here. that was a learning experience!
biggrin.gif
What do you expect, though, when I'm living in the musician's hall?

You are rigth. Sorry, I am starting to talk like a dad again.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
Hey Neruda, how many courses you're taking? Do you have any mid-terms, ASSignments and papers???

It seems to me that you are spending too much time here and not getting your tuition fees worth.
evil_smiley.gif

I'm also wondering you'll spend more money either on Alcohol or on equipment.
wink.gif

yes pc corp, I have work to do and I spend far too much time here. Gotta learn to budget my free time better....

and I don't drink. no, seriously. I hate the taste and getting drunk is not a priority for me. but it will probably happen eventually...
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
You are rigth. Sorry, I am starting to talk like a dad again.

yeah, where'd that come from?
eek.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

and I don't drink. no, seriously. I hate the taste and getting drunk is not a priority for me. but it will probably happen eventually...

Good call, you need to try it. You're only in college once (Probably). Might as well try it now.

And you can't say you hate the test, there so many different kinds of things to drink...

If all else fails, I'll throw a party or three this summer and you're coming.

Back to work, 4 exams next week (even though midterms were 2 weeks ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back