Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Jul 20, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #226 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoForte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Purchased the X-can V8 from music direct yesterday, using my Sennheiser hd600's. For me, comfortable listening level seems to be at the 1 o'clock point... I'd like to remind everyone here that our ears vary significantly in sensitivity. Also, we all have our own subjective ideas of what is soft, normal, and loud. Plus some styles of music we listen to are naturally louder/softer than others. Perhaps we should come up with a reference tune to at least limit one of the many variables involved in reporting reviews.

What's the output voltage of your X-RAY?

Is it above 3.5 volts - the output voltage of my Cal Audio Alpha?

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #228 of 421
If you watch AudioAdvisor.com, and MusicDirect.com... you can frequently find a "demo" unit for around $470, that have a new warranty. They're just units that have been returned in the 30 day return period.

But... otherwise... I've not found a place to buy them for less than MSRP yet.

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #229 of 421
I had my v8 for a couple months now, worked pretty nice, and all of a sudden I have a microphonic effect when I tap on the table. Is it normal that the tubes only last a couple months?

I am turning the amp on for 8 hours while at work, then I turn it off. I wonder if it would be better to keep it on all the time, specially considering that the box is getting pretty hot...

Well, since now I have to face the music and go for a set of replacement tubes, what works best for this amp? My choices would be either the JAN Sylvania or the Mullard 12AX7 from TubeDepot.

Interesting enough, TubeDepot either match/balance them, or they select them for low noise/microphonics. I would think that match/balancing them might give a better chance to getting a good sound, any suggestions to the contrary?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #230 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my v8 for a couple months now, worked pretty nice, and all of a sudden I have a microphonic effect when I tap on the table. Is it normal that the tubes only last a couple months?

I am turning the amp on for 8 hours while at work, then I turn it off. I wonder if it would be better to keep it on all the time, specially considering that the box is getting pretty hot...

Well, since now I have to face the music and go for a set of replacement tubes, what works best for this amp? My choices would be either the JAN Sylvania or the Mullard 12AX7 from TubeDepot.

Interesting enough, TubeDepot either match/balance them, or they select them for low noise/microphonics. I would think that match/balancing them might give a better chance to getting a good sound, any suggestions to the contrary?

Thanks for any feedback!

No, they don't usually go that fast, they typically last practically forever.

Mine is on all the time.

You need 6922/ECC88 tubes NOT 12AX7.

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #231 of 421
JAN-Sylvania 6DJ8's are a good choice on the price/performance curve.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #234 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackeShan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys with the X-Can V8. Do you ever turn it off or something? I can't find a turnoff/ stand by button on it. Or do you just simply pull out the power cable?

Some do... some don't.

I turn mine off, when I'm not going to be using it for a day, or so. I either unplug it, or use a separate PSU with a switch, or use a power strip with a switch.

But... I doubt, it adds much additional wear to just leave it on. The tubes might have to be replaced a bit earlier - but, their pretty inexpensive, unless you've replaced the stock tubes with some expensive NOS tubes.

Though... I would use some kind of surge protection.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #235 of 421
Cool. Thanks for answer!

By the way.. how is the bass with this amp and your Denon D5000, Gradofan2? Right now i'm using this amp with my Sennheiser HD555 (getting the Denon D5000 next week).. and there are seriously lacking a lot of bass now. Actually there is less bass now compared to when I only used my Asus Xonar D2X sound card.. but the bass is way way more controlled and defined now. But the overall sound is cold/ bright/ hard. It will probably be a whole different story when I get my denon's.. only you could tell
biggrin.gif

I am just worried that I won't have that "bass-punchy-feeling" when I get my Denon's.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #236 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JAN-Sylvania 6DJ8's are a good choice on the price/performance curve.

Skylab or anyone else who buys their tubes from TubeDepot....do you pay the $4/tube to have them matched AND triodes balanced? I can see where you might pay the $2/tube extra for the matching, but how important is it to have the balanced triodes? Or am I just being cheap
rolleyes.gif
& it is worth it to have all of those things done?

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #237 of 421
I almost never do both. Here is my philosophy:

> If the dual-triode is serving BOTH channels, get it with balanced triodes

> If the dual-triode is serving only ONE channel, and there are a pair of them, get the tubes matched, but don't worry about getting balanced triodes

For example:

I have a phono preamp that uses a single 12AU7 for the driver and a pair of 6SL7's for gain. In that case, I want the 12AU7 to have balanced triodes, but for the 6SL7's I am more concerned about them being matched than having balanced triodes. To a certain extent, they cannot be truly matched if they don't have relatively balanced triodes, but I think this is of much less importance unless the triodes are horribly out of balance.

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #238 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackeShan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. Thanks for answer!

By the way.. how is the bass with this amp and your Denon D5000, Gradofan2? Right now i'm using this amp with my Sennheiser HD555 (getting the Denon D5000 next week).. and there are seriously lacking a lot of bass now. Actually there is less bass now compared to when I only used my Asus Xonar D2X sound card.. but the bass is way way more controlled and defined now. But the overall sound is cold/ bright/ hard. It will probably be a whole different story when I get my denon's.. only you could tell
biggrin.gif

I am just worried that I won't have that "bass-punchy-feeling" when I get my Denon's.

The v8 is no longer a great amp with Senns, as was the v3 / v2. MF (that's Musical Fidelity to you folks in Harlem) really ruined the X-CAN for Senns with the v8 version (meaning Senns aren't bad with the v8, but are much better with other amps). Well... perhaps "ruined" is a bit strong... but... the v8 doesn't drive Senns as well as the v3 / v2, or DV332 do, by a good margin.

However... it is GREAT with Denons and low impedance phones.

You might improve the bass in Senns with some alternative tubes - such as the Voskhod 6N1P-EV/B, or the Saratov 6H23N-EV/B.

But... you buy the v8 for low impedance phones - the bass on the Denons will not only be strong, but solid and well defined with the v8.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #239 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The v8 is no longer a great amp with Senns, as was the v3 / v2. MF (that's Musical Fidelity to you folks in Harlem) really ruined the X-CAN for Senns with the v8 version.

However... it is GREAT with Denons and low impedance phones.

You might improve the bass in Senns with some alternative tubes - such as the Voskhod 6N1P-EV/B, or the Saratov 6H23N-EV/B.

But... you buy the v8 for low impedance phones - the bass on the Denons will not only be strong, but solid and well defined with the v8.

Thanks for your reply. Now I can't wait for my Denons
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #240 of 421
Me, waiting for D5000 as well
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back