Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Jul 30, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #241 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost never do both. Here is my philosophy:

> If the dual-triode is serving BOTH channels, get it with balanced triodes

> If the dual-triode is serving only ONE channel, and there are a pair of them, get the tubes matched, but don't worry about getting balanced triodes

For example:

I have a phono preamp that uses a single 12AU7 for the driver and a pair of 6SL7's for gain. In that case, I want the 12AU7 to have balanced triodes, but for the 6SL7's I am more concerned about them being matched than having balanced triodes. To a certain extent, they cannot be truly matched if they don't have relatively balanced triodes, but I think this is of much less importance unless the triodes are horribly out of balance.

Thanks, Skylab, for a thorough & straightforward explanation. It definitely clears things up for me.

I think I'll also be taking your recommendation of the Jan-Sylvania 6DJ8's. Still burning in the stock tubes, but I'll give impressions of the 6DJ8's after they've seen some action.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #243 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else care to comment on how this amp drives the Senn HD-650's? I have the amp and am thinking of buying the senns, but don't want to spend the money if it isn't a very good match. Any replies appreciated.

Perhaps... I should have said... the v8... just isn't as good with Senns as the v3 / v2, or DV332 are. You have to dial the POT up to about 2-3 O'clock (US 115 volt version) to get decent sound out of them - which isn't bad - just not as good as these other amps.

I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the "new" version HD650s from B&H Photo, or J&R Electronics, and getting the $50 rebate. You'll not likely get a new pair that cheap again.

And... who knows... you may get a DV332 one day!

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #244 of 421
As the owner of both DV332 and V8, I would say DV332 more synergy with 650 than V8.
IMO V8 give 650 some kind of dull sound and clouded mid, 332 would give 650 more engaging and increasing the sparkle in high area.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #245 of 421
Gradofan2: Is your volumen still a problem ??
It seems to me that this amp get louder with burn-in, I seem to turn it more and more down, maybe it is placebo ??

I would also like to know if I am the only one who are experiencing this ???

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #246 of 421
Actually I'm finding myself turning the volume up more for my Denons, up to 12 o'clock. Recently acquired some AKG 501's for which I've turned the volume up to 3 o'clock, but thats the most and was for classical music, and this headphones are not very sensitive at all. But still, I am a bit surprised at this. I should mention I am running it straight from USB.

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #247 of 421
Yes... the volume with Senns is still an issue.

The second unit I bought was better, but still requires the POT to be set high for Senns.

Haven't noticed whether it seems to develop more power with burn in.

And... both of mine seemed to drive Denons much better at much lower levels - between 11-12 O'clock.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #248 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to me that this amp get louder with burn-in, I seem to turn it more and more down, maybe it is placebo ??

But yours run to european spec just like mine. I don't have problems driving any of my phones and going past 12 o'clock is usually too loud.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #249 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Access /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But yours run to european spec just like mine. I don't have problems driving any of my phones and going past 12 o'clock is usually too loud.

No... mine is the US version at 115 volts.

The more I research this issue... the more I think the EU version at 220-240 volts, provides greater power reserves to drive both low and high impedance phones. That may explain why you get higher volumes out of Senns at lower POT settings.

I don't know whether this is typical - do all EU amps provide greater power reserves, because the run at 240 volts?

My DV332 is the EU, 240 volt version, and it has huge power reserves - drives all phones to uniformly high volumes at 11 O'clock - very little variance between low and high impedance phones.

Perhaps, I should buy the EU, 240 volt version, and use a voltage transfomer/converter to match it to the US mains voltage - but it would run at 240 volts, which would then provide greater voltage to my Senns. I bet, it would have enough voltage to power them properly then.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #250 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same thing for me with Sennheiser (the denon d5000 haven't arrived yet), I used to get loud volume at 12 o'clock but now I'm down to about 11 o'clock if I want it loud with my HD555's

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #251 of 421
I have a UK spec 240volt X-CANv8 and my DAC is a Stello DA100 Signature, output signal level is 2.4 Vrms connected via USB.

I use Winamp and Kernel Steaming, cans are Denon AH2000's.

At 12'clock on the volume dial my Denons are absolutely rocking any louder and i'm sure i'd go deaf, 10 o'clock would be normal listening levels for me and even thats loud.

This is all with the standard wallwart, I have a Little Pinkie v3i PSU on order and have no idea what improvments that'll make.

Im loving the X-CANv8 and Stello DA100 Signature it makes slamming music and thats using my PC as the source.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #253 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Access /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know, I was just trying to help or shed some light on Gradofan2s problems....
I know that if I use the USB it has to be turned up louder, than with a normal lineout...

I also do not think that 220 or 110 volts schould make any difference, because it is the same box, just with another transformer or PU if you want AFAIK

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #254 of 421
Im still waiting for the Benchmark DAC1 Pre should get it early next week, its on a 4 week trial basis so if I don't like it thats no sweat.

I bought two X-CANv8's and kept one the other one was for a friend, he decided after he got it he didn't want it so I offered it in the forum for sale.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #255 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a UK spec 240volt X-CANv8 and my DAC is a Stello DA100 Signature, output signal level is 2.4 Vrms connected via USB.

I use Winamp and Kernel Steaming, cans are Denon AH2000's.

At 12'clock on the volume dial my Denons are absolutely rocking any louder and i'm sure i'd go deaf, 10 o'clock would be normal listening levels for me and even thats loud.

This is all with the standard wallwart, I have a Little Pinkie v3i PSU on order and have no idea what improvments that'll make.

Im loving the X-CANv8 and Stello DA100 Signature it makes slamming music and thats using my PC as the source.

I have the same experience with Denons with CDP/DACs as the source and my 110-120 volt US version v8.

But... when I use Senns, or the USB DAC of the v8 - it just doesn't have enough power unless the POT is set to 3 to 5 O'clock.

So... you don't think its the difference in the mains voltage between the EU and US versions? I was thinking MF may have "just blown it" with the voltage converter/transformer in the US version, which left the v8 without enough voltage to properly drive Senns. I doubt very much, if they would have designed the amp that way intentionally. I've had two of them the second one, was very slightly better than the first - had to be set to perhaps 2 O'clock, rather than 3 O'clock.

And... yes... that's with sources with 2.0 to 3.5 volts output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back