Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Aug 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #256 of 421
I normally have at least a couple of headphones in the house but at present only have the Denons.

Im going to borrow a friends Sennheiser HD650 today and ill report back later on how the X-CANv8 handles them compared to my Denon AH2000's.

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #257 of 421
AKG K 701 or Denon AH-D2000 for X-can V8?

I have got the X-Can v8 and little Pinkie V3i using AKG K 701 hooked up to computer via USB. It sounds all right, but the bass on the AKG's is a bit more pronounced on solid state.

The AKG's weigh 235grams, and has a single cable(not Y), and they get immense reviews. Now, everyone says Denon 2000 or 5000 match up so nicly on the V8.

The negative thing about AKG's is that the amp sounds very laid back with these(or maybe its the amp, not the phones)..

1: The Denon 2000, more comfortable than AKG K 701 (even though they weigh 100gram more)?? The AKG K headband pains me from time to time

2: Does the Denon 2000 just have too much bass?

How in general will a switch for the Denon 2000 be vs the AKG on the v8. Should I do it? (even though the denon 2000 seems to be a cheaper headphone)....

Does the leather on the denon heat up your ears?

THANKS GUYS!!

K

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #258 of 421
My feeling is that DAC was only incorporated to help its appeal to the non-esoteric listeners out there, e.g. non-audiophiles who might be interested in getting involved. The DAC is nothing special from my listening/understanding, however I did listen to the amp and it sounded excellent. The DAC is a welcome extra, however just consider it a way to link your amp and pc together with a little upgrade from a PC's DAC. If the DAC is really something special, MF would be advertising that a lot more.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #259 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K 701 or Denon AH-D2000 for X-can V8?

I have got the X-Can v8 and little Pinkie V3i using AKG K 701 hooked up to computer via USB. It sounds all right, but the bass on the AKG's is a bit more pronounced on solid state.

The AKG's weigh 235grams, and has a single cable(not Y), and they get immense reviews. Now, everyone says Denon 2000 or 5000 match up so nicly on the V8.

The negative thing about AKG's is that the amp sounds very laid back with these(or maybe its the amp, not the phones)..

1: The Denon 2000, more comfortable than AKG K 701 (even though they weigh 100gram more)?? The AKG K headband pains me from time to time

2: Does the Denon 2000 just have too much bass?

How in general will a switch for the Denon 2000 be vs the AKG on the v8. Should I do it? (even though the denon 2000 seems to be a cheaper headphone)....

Does the leather on the denon heat up your ears?

THANKS GUYS!!

K

The Denons are very comfortable - fairly light, and they do not clamp too tightly. The pads do get slightly warm on hot summer days, but not unbearable - though they may not be as cool as velour.

The Denons mate with the X-CANv8 better than all my other phones (don't have the AKGs). But... I would expect it to be better than the AKGs - just their inherent sound, as well as how they mate with the X-CANv8.

Once burnt in... the bass of the Denons is not too boomy, and is fairly tight and controlled - though, its still fairly prominent and robust, about like Senns.

However, my observations are with a good source, not the X-CANv8 DAC. The DAC is very weak - it doesn't compare in any way to a good CDP/DAC (e.g. see my signature). Its possible your AKGs are being limited, very much, by the DAC - though, they still may not sound as good as the Denons with the X-CANv8.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #261 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereophile 9/2008

Has long review of MF Xcan v8 and Xpsu v8 (and Ray Samuels Predator)

So what does it say... or... is it accessible online?

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #262 of 421
Sam Tellig did review, his set-up

Cary CDP > Xcan v8 > AKG K701

He used stock tubes and mentions that changing tubes/opening case will void warranty

Extremely positive review, brief summary:
-Xcan v8 much better than v3
-stock v8 best under 1K amp he has heard, with Xpsu v8 even better
-"extraordinary resolution, mids & highs exquisite"
-"bass has great depth, fullness and authority"

Just got my copy today in mail, too soon for online viewing, check out full review at local magazine section.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #263 of 421
I read that Stereophile article a few days ago, and thought it said the new X-CAN V8 could not be used with the X-PSU V3. Is that really the case? I was hoping to maybe get an X-CAN V8 and use with my current X-PSU V3.

Are all you "Little Pinkie" PSU guys able to use the same supply with X-CAN V3 and V8?

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #265 of 421
Darkangel

I see you comment on the stereophile review. Well, it's all lies from those guys. I got the V8.

Now that you gotten yours for a while, I asked you before, but the Sylvania tube upgrade, even when using built in DAC(analog out on cheap computer even has lower and higher end extentions), do you hear any better sound?

secondly, most importantly, which headphone you use with the x-can v8? I got AKG K 701, and they have alot of bass even on analog out from computer, but less on the V8(thats tubes for ya!). People say Denon 2000/5000 is soo good and best with V8, you believe it makes much difference on overall SQ, if you don't mind the bass? I just can't.. but I wonder what you use, find any difference?

thanks!.... still got your v8 I guess?

Wonder how it would sound with a better source, but I don't think I will bother... the tubes remove details and color the sound so much that a further dac upgrade might not be that much value. I did not hear that much difference when using the x-can v3 with analog out on PC vs using the MF X-DAC v3 which was a $1000 dac!!

Comment those who want, not only Darkangel
happy_face1.gif

Kris

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #266 of 421
Well... with the D5000s and a good matching source (see my signature) the Stereophile review is quite accurate.

However... the USB DAC is very weak - not to be used.

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #267 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by synthmad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that Stereophile article a few days ago, and thought it said the new X-CAN V8 could not be used with the X-PSU V3. Is that really the case? I was hoping to maybe get an X-CAN V8 and use with my current X-PSU V3.

Are all you "Little Pinkie" PSU guys able to use the same supply with X-CAN V3 and V8?

PSU for v3 and v8 are identical.
I use the Little Pinkie I used with my v3 with my v8. Works perfectly.

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #268 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PSU for v3 and v8 are identical.
I use the Little Pinkie I used with my v3 with my v8. Works perfectly.

Thanks for letting me know that, Kees.

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #269 of 421
gradofan

Stereophile review the amp using the same equipment as me, V8 + PSU + K701, and that is how they rate it.

The DAC in the amp has more bass than my headphones plugged into the analog out on my laptop, but still the analog output has alot more bass. It is solid state driven... so the problem in general is the tube circuit, killing of high and low end tones. It won't be solved with a DAC upgrade.

Thats main reason I can't justify a expensive DAC for using with tubes. It's no point, it makes everything sound lush and nice with a little lack of bass. Of course it will be a bit better, but not much. on a SS amp source is the first component to upgrade, way before you upgrade amp.

I base these thoughts on the fact that I had the X-can v3, x-psu + K701, and I did not hear that much difference between the V3 connected to my CHEAP laptop, or to the MF X-dac v3. The V3 was better, but still it was shy on bass. Though clarity and bass a little bit better I still thought the improvements were small.... and thats tubes for ya.

I will have a look at the new PS Audio state of the art DAC which comes with a state of the art headphone amp. Due out next year.

K

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #270 of 421
All I can tell ya... is with a good source (not a PC), and the D5000s - there are few amps that are better than the v8 - it has GREAT BASS (BOOM)!

"Been there done that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back