Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Oct 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #331 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. I can assure you (and challenge you) that you can not find one documented fact supporting the now disproven "global warming theory" (which is all it ever was). And as far as the most recent "global cooling" theory (it was only by presented by scientists about a month ago)... at least its supported by 10 years of global cooling (every year since 1998), and the most recent science. .

However much I hate fuelling a heated debate based on such uneducated and conspiracy driven ramblings such as these i feel it my place to take up the chalenge put by gradofan2:

The global cooling theory was disproved and withdrawn recently by the very scientists that published the findings in the first place. The cooling theory was based on 10 years worth of data recieved from tempeture recording satalites scanning the earths surface. At first the evidence seemed to be spot on and did indeed fuel the anti global warming brigades debate for a long time. However the scientists recently discovered an error in the data, over the ten years that the data was recorded the satalites were in fact getting closer to the earths surface, ( by only a tiny fraction), this meant however that they were recording the earths tempeture at later and later times of the day over the ten year period thus giving a slight decrease to the total global tempeture. Once this was discovered and calculations were re-run they did indeed conclude that the earth had indeed warmed to the same degree that they had origanaly said it had cooled.

This is proven evidence that the earth is warming at an increasing amount each year and also coincides with the data recorded from old fasioned thermometers.

Sorry guys for that but I hate the fact that some people still delude themselves to the fact that this isnt happening and that we didnt all had a part to play in it. the fact is to make a difference we all have to do our bit and its hard work to make a change it always is. some people are not willing to put in the extra effort i guess.

anyway recycled beer anyone...lol
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #332 of 421
i have the x can v3 and i love it. i am tempted to do the pink floyd upgrades to it to see if there's a marked improvement, but i think it sounds great now... anyone compared the two yet?

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #333 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the x can v3 and i love it. i am tempted to do the pink floyd upgrades to it to see if there's a marked improvement, but i think it sounds great now... anyone compared the two yet?

I had a Pink Floyd modded v3. The v8 is a BIG step better.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #336 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the DAC on the v8? anything special? Is it at least comparable or better than the headamp pico's dac?

According to most people it isn't that good. But some says it's reasonably good, and someone in this thread said they preferred the sound form the built-in DAC over the sound from a Zero DAC (the built-in sounded warmer, the Zero more analytic). I have no experience myself so I'm just saying what other people says. I'm probably going to buy this one next week or so, and start with only the DAC.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #337 of 421
I happen to own the V3 XCan, Wonderful. A delight to listen to. Maybe my AKG7000 contributes a little also.. ;-P

But what happens to the V8 ? It disturbs me that the only review that you get by googling a bit is downright negative. VERY negative. And its arguments sound sensible.
quote:
[Beware of the Musical Fidelity X-CANv8.

It doesn't have sufficient power (current & voltage) to drive either low impedence, or high impedence headphones to reasonable volumes, without hiss / noise... without a using a pre-amp / line stage, or exceptionally high gain signal output from your source.

Think... like... 75% to 100% POT setting to achieve reasonable volume with noise / hiss in the background. ]

(Musical Fidelity Musical Fidelity X-CAN v8 Reviews)

Of course I do not believe everything that is written, but it is strange so littel suport. Maybe the twin headphone output requires DOUBLE power, not just 30% more.

Anyway, the V3 IS WONDERFUL. I miss only the double output, not really the DAC and USB interface... Why ? Well, The problem does not lie (usually) in the DAC, but on the USB input. Nobody has clearly begotten a real 'HiFi' USB connect. If you look at the big makers, they have great digital inputs through great DACs, but nobody swears (up to now) by what he's heard through a USB interface to a high quality HiFi system...

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #338 of 421
Google will give you maybe 2 or 3 reviews, all made by one person, gradofan. Who also posted the same thing here...earlier on anyway. Later he did say that he was a bit harsh in his views, perhaps. I wish he would do the same in the other places he posted. Read this thread, also go see if you can get a copy of the september issue of stereophile magazine which reviewed this unit and gave very positive remarks, the reviews should hopefully be posted on their website soon.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #339 of 421
Ok, I admit to it - it is almost incredible that MF could market a clearly underpowered h-p amp. As I said, I do not own it, and never tested. Maybe I'll try to when I next pop up by my retailer.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #340 of 421
Arteom......

I have my eye on the new Cambridge Dac Magic with USB input to replace my Keces 151 USB Dac for computer based music......could be killer with Xcan v8 and retail is only $399 before discounts on web, features dual Wolfson Dacs, Anagram Tech ATF upsampling and much more

Dac Magic

Also saw that Music Direct has raised price on Xcan v8 to $649

BTW I still love my Xcan v8

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #341 of 421
Thanks for the tip on the Cambridge, DarkAngel. I am however in the process of purchasing a tube based unit. Spending a bit of money on it but hopefully it should hold off the need to upgrade later on. I bet the quote they have at the bottom is a big reason why they hiked the price up a $100... This is my first "serious" headamp and I really see no reason to buy another.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #342 of 421
Oct 10, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #344 of 421
Hey everyone, I just received my X-Can V8 this afternoon! It's burning in as we speak I've got about 3.5hrs on it right now and I have some observations, and some questions...

First is my question. Does anyone elses' headphone out's move? Mine wiggle and make very slight noise. It doesn't seem quite right for a unit of this caliber.

I also notice with my HD650's on my V8 I listen to most songs (so far) at around 12 O'clock. If it is a lower overall volume song I might go to 2 O'clock. The unit gets plenty loud, I would never max it out. More updates to come as I burn this puppy in.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #345 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone, I just received my X-Can V8 this afternoon! It's burning in as we speak I've got about 3.5hrs on it right now and I have some observations, and some questions...

First is my question. Does anyone elses' headphone out's move? Mine wiggle and make very slight noise. It doesn't seem quite right for a unit of this caliber.

I also notice with my HD650's on my V8 I listen to most songs (so far) at around 12 O'clock. If it is a lower overall volume song I might go to 2 O'clock. The unit gets plenty loud, I would never max it out. More updates to come as I burn this puppy in.

If its new, I'd ship it back to the vendor and exchange it for another without a loose phone socket - it should not be loose.

If it's not new - I'd contact MF and see if they'll repair it under warranty.

If none of those are options - then I'd probably take the front face plate off and see If I could tighten it myself - likely a fairly simple procedure. The v3 and v8 are very easy to work on. I would have started with that - except, you don't want to void your warranty.

If you're getting good volume at 12 O'clock with your Senns - that's good. I had to set the POT at 2-3 O'clock to achieve loud volume with my Senns. But - the amp was outstanding with Denons and Grados at lower POT settings - better than with Senns, though iit was good with Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back