Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Sep 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #316 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question for those of you that actually like this amp!
how long time does it need to warm up?

I heard the v3 on two occasions: first time it had been on all day and i loved it, the second it had been on for only ten minutes and it made me want to tear my headphones off right away!

I don´t know about the v8, but the fact that it stil dosn´t have an on/off knob seems to indicate they want it to be turned on at all times - Just don´t fit with the CO2 issue so much debated these days.

So therefore the question: how long time does it need to warm up to sound pleasent?
wink_face.gif

Keeps it warmed up and ready to go...

Though, I suggest you turn it off when you're not going to be listening to it for a while - to save the tubes, and to limit the opportunity for some type of power surge to hit it and damage it. Perhaps leave it on over the weekend, or a few days, when you're likely to use it.

And the v8 has 30%+ more power output (1.3 watt) than the v3 (about 1 watt).

And... I agree... with the prior question - "what CO2 issue." You surely haven't beem duped by that "global warming BS," for which there is absolutely no supporting evidentiary data... "zip, zero, nada" - in fact, all the evidentiary data, suggests just the opposite - "global cooling" of 1 degree C over the next 100 years. Better stock up on some firewood, and thick "fur coats" - I suggest "Polar Bear" fur, from the over-population of polar bears!

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #317 of 421
Haha, I liked your last post Gradofan2, although I'm not agree. It's not all about the warming, we need to save energy either way.

Back on topic! I really, really want one of these (those..?)! My Denon AH-D2000 are on the way, and everyone says they will match them very well. But how well will they match a future upgrade?

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #318 of 421
Ok so if i buy it I will keep it on all the time! Of course you are right it is not a big Watt'er.
But just a minor coment: 1,3 watt are the output power, it sayes nothing about the amps power consumption.
And - The idea of a global cooling is pretty outdated by now!
atsmile.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #319 of 421
Ok, I have a question for all of you (even Gradofan2). I am currently running my HD650's out of my D2 Boa. It has plenty of power and sounds really good (compared with a Headroom Supreme I notice little to no difference). I was looking at the X-Can V8 because I mostly listen to audio from my Laptop. I gather that the AMP in the Xcan is better than my D2 Boa, but the DAC might not be. I plan on getting a standalone DAC in the near future. But until then do you think I would see any benefit of getting the V8, or should I wait until after I have the DAC in hand?

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #320 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so if i buy it I will keep it on all the time! Of course you are right it is not a big Watt'er.
But just a minor coment: 1,3 watt are the output power, it sayes nothing about the amps power consumption.
And - The idea of a global cooling is pretty outdated by now!
atsmile.gif

I wouldn't buy the v8 for its DAC... only its amp... and then... primarily for low impedance phones, like the Denons and Grados. With high impedance phones its no better than many other amps, and the DV332 / DV337 is better with Senns.

However... if you plan to drive low impedance phones with the v8, than you might be able to "tollerate" the DAC for a period of time. Ultimately, though you will want a much, much better DAC.

As far as the other "BS"... I can only say... I really am not interested in anyone's "opinion," nor would I ask anyone to accept my "opinion" - I only accept documented, proven facts.... of which I can provide you literally "reems" of scientific data, of actual observations, not unfounded and disproven theories and models. I can assure you (and challenge you) that you can not find one documented fact supporting the now disproven "global warming theory" (which is all it ever was). And as far as the most recent "global cooling" theory (it was only by presented by scientists about a month ago)... at least its supported by 10 years of global cooling (every year since 1998), and the most recent science. As far as "building damns" - I'd save my money - the most recent satellite photos of the polar ice caps, show they've increased since last year, and never really decreased in the Southern Hemisphere. Why do you think the news has been totally silenced on the "global warming theory." There is none. And, with regard to conservation, that's fine, we all need to save money on energy consumption. But... the only real limits on energy consumption, are those, which have been "idiotically" self-imposed, by our ignorant failure to develop our vast energy reserves, which are proven to be among the World's largest (as well as our prohibition on nuclear power). These are all well documented, current facts... not opinion. You just have to search for them, because the biased media are not reporting them. But... by all means... you're welcome to your own "opinion"... just not your own facts.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #321 of 421
we have better cool this debate before we increase the warming!

Like I said: if i buy this amp I will keep it turned on so lets go back to the headphones!
darthsmile.gif

Anybody who can compare the v8 with the heed canamp?

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #322 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as the other "BS"... I can only say... I really am not interested in anyone's "opinion," nor would I ask anyone to accept my "opinion" - I only accept documented, proven facts.... of which I can provide you literally "reems" of scientific data, of actual observations, not unfounded and disproven theories and models.

Yes, I'd like to see that.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I can assure you (and challenge you) that you can not find one documented fact supporting the now disproven "global warming theory" (which is all it ever was).

Disproved, really? You should tell NASA, The US Geological Survey, The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change...etc. I'm sure they'd like to know that they have it all wrong. As for documented facts, try any of the above. The IPCC is a good place to start though, their latest report having involved over 2500 of the world's top researchers from 130 countries.

As for global warming being a theory, of course it's a theory. All of science is a theory. That's how inductive methodology works. You want certainty, try deductive method, you'll find you won't get very far though.
tongue.gif

Quote:

And as far as the most recent "global cooling" theory (it was only by presented by scientists about a month ago)... at least its supported by 10 years of global cooling (every year since 1998), and the most recent science.

A whole ten years, remarkable, this was which restricted area exactly? [/irony off].
So, who conducted this study? And how was their research funded? Which high profile peer reviewed journal did this study appear in? Have their results been checked and confirmed by other studies? Do the results accord with previous studies? How long did the study last? How large was the data pool? and how was the data analysed? What is the statistical significance of this study?

Quote:

As far as "building damns" - I'd save my money - the most recent satellite photos of the polar ice caps, show they've increased since last year

Yes, there's a little more ice than last year (worst on record ever). So, this year it's only what, about 30% less ice than when satellite data started being taken in the 70s.

Quote:

and never really decreased in the Southern Hemisphere.

Quite true...ah...you do know about the unprecedented breaking up of the ice though right? And are aware of the distribution of Earth's landmasses, and the effects this has on the absorption of energy, and heating. (clue: walk on beach sand in summer, walk into the ocean, compare temperatures, find out about specific heat).

Quote:

And, with regard to conservation, that's fine, we all need to save money on energy consumption. But... the only real limits on energy consumption, are those, which have been "idiotically" self-imposed, by our ignorant failure to develop our vast energy reserves, which are proven to be among the World's largest

I guess you're not talking about renewable resources here...so I think you'll find there are limits. You may want to google "hubbert's peak". Now think back to the 1970s...
biggrin.gif

Have a lovely day, and happy listening.

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #323 of 421
Oops sorry...headphones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #325 of 421
DefectiveAudioComponent is definitely right!

Now I'm going to hijack this thread for a little while longer. I'm probably going to buy this. I'm going to use the built-in DAC to start with.

Please answer this:
Do you think that's waste of money and equipment? How big are improvement over the output from an ordinary, quite cheap sound card? Isn't this DAC better than the one in the sound card? (Sound Blaster Audigy)

How is the best way to upgrade the built-in DAC when I'm ready for it?

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #327 of 421
Ok, well how about this one. It looks like this Dac/Amp compares similarly to the Meier Corda Cantate. Anyone that can compare these two devices?

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #328 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, well how about this one. It looks like this Dac/Amp compares similarly to the Meier Corda Cantate. Anyone that can compare these two devices?

I would rate the amp of the v8 a lot higher than the Canate. A different class imo.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #329 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rate the amp of the v8 a lot higher than the Canate. A different class imo.

What about with higher impedance cans like the HD650's?

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #330 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about with higher impedance cans like the HD650's?

Works perfectly. At least as good as the Graham Slee Solo or the Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back