Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II
Oct 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #31 of 92

Originally Posted by Elysian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It looks like there's a V-Link 192 coming out in Dec 2011 at $399.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-53356-musical-fidelity-v-link-192-usb-to-coax-converter.aspx

149€ here: http://www.supersonido.es/cas/site/productos-ficha.asp?id=10112

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #38 of 92
bump for more feedback...

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #39 of 92
sorry guys been bit busy with exams

i tried opening it today but it appears my set of screwdrivers will possibly cause slip screws
time permitting, ill try popping by my mates house to borrow his set of screwdrivers

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 92
I've had mine for about 4 weeks (new V-DAC II, that is). I purchased from the UK, along with the new versions of V-PSU II and V-LPS II (haven't received those yet, though). Here are impressions:
  • Plugged into the same Tripp-Lite PR-3 I was using as my regulated power supply for the first V-DAC. (plug and 12-volt DC is exactly the same)
  • ALAC files (standard CD-rip 16bit/44k) sound about the same as V-DAC + V-Link combo that I was using. I notice only a slightly tighter, more controlled bass (just seems a bit less muddy/loose--though it WAS NOT a problem before) and slightly better ambience or air in the upper  ranges like cymbals etc. It's very subtle, but it does seem less fatiguing over the course of a long listening session.
  • the BIG difference--24/96 files sound AMAZING. When I got the V-Link this summer, I purchased some 24/96 albums from HDTracks.com (Nevermind, Saxophone Colossus, Mysterious Shorter). The first two sounded only marginally better than the CD versions I already had, the third was a new album I didn't already own. You could tell that they were better than the CD, but they still did not quite live up to my experience with the vinyl. With the V-DAC II, I was stunned at just how good 24/96 sounds. I would say this format is every bit as good as vinyl (and my setup is pretty good--a highly tweaked Rega Planar 3 with the V-LPS). I will be buying only 24/96 from now on if not available as vinyl (I stopped buying CDs a couple years ago unless it was absolutely the only way to get something better than an mp3).

I will post another reply when the V-PSU II arrives from across the pond...

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #41 of 92
good feedback, thank you!

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #44 of 92
Had my VDAC II for a week or so and still evaluating.  It sounds pretty good to me, maybe a bit thin compared to the Electro ECD-1 I've been using for years.  At the price, it seems a real bargain to me.  I'm just using it on an upstairs system mainly for improving HD radio for the classical station, but will eventually try some other things.  Very musical and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back