Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #13,831 of 16,931
  Thanks for responding so quickly. Does the bass of the IE800's overwhelm the mids. Is the bass very exaggerated? Thanks in advance!!

Exaggerated, yes, but the mids are not overwhelmed. A lesser earphone would struggle with the bass quantity of the IE800 but for the Sennheisers its only a minor handicap, so to speak. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #13,832 of 16,931
Cool guy  :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYbK7yC3tE

popcorn.gif

" Its only a rock'n'roll but I like it! " 

(maybe he's me.....?    
evil_smiley.gif
 )

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #13,833 of 16,931
What should I try next?

Meelectronics M9P - Enjoyed how fun they sounded (V-shaped), but mids were very lacking
Vsonic GR02 - hated these.  Way too harsh all around - treble was piercing and bass overwhelmed everything
SoundMagic E10 - incredibly boring to me.  Sound kind of neutral and just don't do it for me.  I'd compare them to a $5 set of IEMs to my ears
JVC Marshmallows - surprisingly really like the punch of the bass and overall sound, but it gets a bit crackly and highs aren't that clear

Looking to keep these cheap (<$30) since reviews rarely match what I expect and I go through IEM's like crazy losing/breaking them.

Philips SHE3580?  JVC HAFX40?  Something else?  These would be used for all genres.  I'd ideally like to have good mid-bass punch, forward mids, and highs that don't kill my ears with terrible piercing noises.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #13,834 of 16,931

Exaggerated, yes, but the mids are not overwhelmed. A lesser earphone would struggle with the bass quantity of the IE800 but for the Sennheisers its only a minor handicap, so to speak. 

Thanks. I will be buying this then LOL. At $600 now, it's a sweet, sweet deal. Unfortunately the WIFE is going to be PISSED, after my splurge on other goodies like the Geek Pulse & Wave campaigns, LCD-X, Hifiman HE-560 recently. I must be a glutton for punishment. Good thing i stopped buying expensive scotch and consuming them straightaway.Bad thing is i replaced that with Headphone-itis. Good thing is that i could sell the IE800 and the other stuff at near/above cost in the future. Hopefully my awesome wife understands that!!

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #13,835 of 16,931
  What should I try next?

Meelectronics M9P - Enjoyed how fun they sounded (V-shaped), but mids were very lacking
Vsonic GR02 - hated these.  Way too harsh all around - treble was piercing and bass overwhelmed everything
SoundMagic E10 - incredibly boring to me.  Sound kind of neutral and just don't do it for me.  I'd compare them to a $5 set of IEMs to my ears
JVC Marshmallows - surprisingly really like the punch of the bass and overall sound, but it gets a bit crackly and highs aren't that clear

Looking to keep these cheap (<$30) since reviews rarely match what I expect and I go through IEM's like crazy losing/breaking them.

Philips SHE3580?  JVC HAFX40?  Something else?  These would be used for all genres.  I'd ideally like to have good mid-bass punch, forward mids, and highs that don't kill my ears with terrible piercing noises.

brainwavz m1 , hisound crystal , not fx40 , its the sparkiest phone i have heard till date . ath ckx5 can be good and you can consider . if you  dont want sparks highs , hisound and pny midtwon 200 will do good , one more can be xba-c10 , now they are really cheap and even if these phones lack sound stage , its a good sounding phone for its price .

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #13,836 of 16,931
  What should I try next?

Xiaomi Piston 2.0/IF Edition can be what you are after.
beerchug.gif
You can buy from here

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #13,837 of 16,931
  What should I try next?

Dunu DN12!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNU-Trident-DN-12-DN12-In-Ear-Dynamic-Earbud-Earphone-Earpiece-/281316100893?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item417fbf0b1d

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #13,838 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

Have you compared audio sources? By that I don't mean proper DAPs/DACs, etc. I mean a not-so-high-end-source, like a Sansa Clip+ vs a FiiO E6 being used with a phone, or just a standalone phone. Till now, I have mostly used my phone to listen to music (currently using a Sony Xperia). I can't afford to purchase a high end DAP/DAC, and also, don't feel like lugging around an additional piece of equipment in my pockets. Even leaving out the money/extra equipment thing, do you think sound quality wise a Sansa Clip+ will have any major advantage over a phone? I generally use 320kbps MP3 files and IEMs, no headphones.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #13,839 of 16,931
  What should I try next?

The FX40 is quite bright. The 3580 is a better match for what you want, except it doesn't have particularly forward mids. More so than the M9, but still not forward. The Dunu DN-12 Trident recommended above might be a pretty good option, too.

Hi Joker,

Have you compared audio sources? By that I don't mean proper DAPs/DACs, etc. I mean a not-so-high-end-source, like a Sansa Clip+ vs a FiiO E6 being used with a phone, or just a standalone phone. Till now, I have mostly used my phone to listen to music (currently using a Sony Xperia). I can't afford to purchase a high end DAP/DAC, and also, don't feel like lugging around an additional piece of equipment in my pockets. Even leaving out the money/extra equipment thing, do you think sound quality wise a Sansa Clip+ will have any major advantage over a phone? I generally use 320kbps MP3 files and IEMs, no headphones.

I don't have a Fiio E6 and phone audio quality varies quite a lot. iPhones are definitely comparable to a Clip+, for example, but my previous-generation HTC Android phone was pretty crap and my Clip+ was significantly better.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #13,841 of 16,931
Hey Joker - I'm back! :D

I was doing fine with the JVC FXD80 (the mic version, it's either the FDR or the FRD) and I even upgraded my Bose OE1 to some Beyer DT770 which I've enjoyed listening with a lot.

Only thing is that I somehow managed to lose the JVCs and I was then using my old AM800 - until I somehow managed to loosen the connection between the cable and one of the buds.

I'm pretty happy getting another pair of the JVCs but I've noticed that a few of the previously recommended IEMs have been retired, so is there a replacement for them? I wouldn't mind spending a tad more but considering that I've just gone through £60's worth of IEM, I probably shouldn't spend too much :p

If getting a pair without the mic will considerably increase value or sound quality, I might just go for that as well.

Cheers again man!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #13,842 of 16,931
Hey Joker - I'm back!
biggrin.gif

I was doing fine with the JVC FXD80 (the mic version, it's either the FDR or the FRD) and I even upgraded my Bose OE1 to some Beyer DT770 which I've enjoyed listening with a lot.

Only thing is that I somehow managed to lose the JVCs and I was then using my old AM800 - until I somehow managed to loosen the connection between the cable and one of the buds.

I'm pretty happy getting another pair of the JVCs but I've noticed that a few of the previously recommended IEMs have been retired, so is there a replacement for them? I wouldn't mind spending a tad more but considering that I've just gone through £60's worth of IEM, I probably shouldn't spend too much
tongue.gif

If getting a pair without the mic will considerably increase value or sound quality, I might just go for that as well.

Cheers again man!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

a better value ? it will be hard but yes similarly price to sq phones that i can recommend are rha-ma750 , if you want some more balance re-400 , hf5 can be considered .

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #13,843 of 16,931
Hey ljokerl,

I signed up to enter the Noble contest, but as a longtime lurker, I just wanted to thank you for all your help and reviews here!

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #13,845 of 16,931
Whats a relatively inexpensive IEM ($50) that has good clarity, while also being fun?

I'd probably put a vote forward for the Vsonic GR02 or the VSD1/S. 

a better value ? it will be hard but yes similarly price to sq phones that i can recommend are rha-ma750 , if you want some more balance re-400 , hf5 can be considered .

I had considered the MA750s before, but at £80, I cant really justify spending that much on them - although I've realised that the JVCs for £30 must be great deal then. My only complaint with the JVC was the slightly recessed mids, but I guess that would be something I'd have to live with (or maybe try to use an EQ) if it saves me £40 then. 

edit: I hear that the FXT90 are a bit better - is this true, and would it be worth the extra £20?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back