Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 12, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #13,816 of 16,931
Hi,

I have the Hifiman RE-600 and love it. I am looking for another pair of universal IEMs. I prefer a balanced presentation with nice treble extension, good mid-range and deep accurate bass. Basically a slight V shaped sound signature.
What would your recommendation be for universal IEMs below $600? Customs are not an option for me.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #13,817 of 16,931

How about the Yamaha EPH-100? strong bass, small form factor, good build quality. No mic/controls. $110 on Amazon.

Definitely a good option. Didn't realize they were down to $110. I'd be careful buying them on sale due to counterfeits but if it's sold by amazon it should be fine.

Once again, Mr. Joker's review lines up with mine, and joker's got to be the most honest and trustable reviewer on headfi.  You have to tread headfi carefully because you will run into lots of hype and possibly scammers posting that get's paid for only writing positive things.  Joker has much experience, low-fi to hi.

Joker, I've noticed that NT-6 is sensitive to source.  NT-6 can be extremely clear and detail, or sound like any other iem depending on the source.  Have you tried several sources?  I found that if you match it with the right source, it would push out some unbelievable sound, dynamic imaging is ridiculous.  My top three sources are DX100, ODAC/O2 combo, and Fiio X5.  Maybe your ranking would go up even more if you try it with the right source?

I don't know how much room for improvement there is on top of the HM-901 with IEM card - I've tried the AK120, DX50, X3 and didn't think either was better than the 901. Plus, there's not much room for growth in the NT-6's score anyway - it's 2nd overall 
tongue.gif

Hello
Joker,

What's the best IEM I can purchase without going for broke?

1. I'm looking for tight and noticeable deep sub-bass (not necessarily a bass-head type)

2. Clear and liquid-like sounding mids'

3. Finally, clear and analytical treble (not dry)

-A mild V shape is the idealistic sound I had in mind

.....I thought about the Dunu DN-1000 (triple driver hybrid), if paying in the $200 dollar range.

But, I'm trying to shoot under $50 dollars (or only above $50 if any BA's are worth getting that could provide all of the above).

-Some ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!

My reply, for posterity:

Sure, but that's a lot of stuff you want for $50. You'll have to compromise just a little bit - either with the VSonic VSD1S, which is v-shaped and very clear with crisp treble but doesn't have the best deep bass extension, or with the SteelSeries Flux, which is less v-shaped and has better bass extension, but lacks a little bit of midrange clarity and "liquid-ness" compared to the VSD1S.

ljoker , can you please put a suggestion , either here or on this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/722687/iem-choice-upgrade
on what I should upgrade my ie8 and ck100 into ? I am using the x5 as a source

I would say EarSonics SM64 based on those requirements. Not having tried the SD-3S (the new small version) I'm not sure how it fares in comfort but I've never had a problem wearing the EarSonics for hours. They tick the other boxes, too - good deep bass but not IE8 levels, warm sound, pretty easy-going overall considering it's a high-end BA monitor, and so on.

Hi Joker. I had read your thread since 2011 and has managed to make fabulous purchases such as the MD Tributes then the Ortofon e-Q7 and finally the FX700.

I am just curious if you have heard the current FX850s and your comments & impressions of them. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Haven't had a chance to try these - the last new JVC release I got my hands on was the FXD80.

Hi Joker

I'm curious more than anything.  What would you think would be a good upgrade to the old westone 3?  I've heard westone 2 (great apart from a lack of bass)klipsch x10, tf10.  Was just looking for something a little more off the beaten path.

Listen to Rock, metal and audiobooks.  The only thing is they must be excellent isolators as I use these at work (either out of a ipod classic or a sansa clip plus) to keep my self some what sane.

No real budget but lower the better.

I've gone through (in my head,no purchases) everything from the likes of the earsonics se6 universal, 1964 ears v6 universals (taxes put me off here) stagedivers 2 and 3 (afraid off too much bass in 3 and too little in 2), then I go nuts and start thinking about the unique melody mentor and roxanne (mentor unlikely and the roxanne just looks too big for my ears!).

Thanks

The W3 is pretty unique in signature. The 1964-V3 and V6-Stage do come to mind, albeit with the same reservations you have about the StageDivers - the V6-Stage is pretty flat in the bass region (a-la SD-2) while the V3 is quite bass-heavy (but slightly more balanced than the SD-3 nonetheless). Could be a case where neither one hits your goldilocks zone. 

The rarely-mentioned Ultrasone IQ reminded me of the W3 in many ways - strong bass, strong treble, some dryness/analytical tendencies in the mids and treble, not bright despite treble energy, and so on. With some simple mods it actually sounds very good. Ditto on the discontinued Phonak PFE 232 - it's very similar, and doesn't require modding, but isolation is a little worse and the mids never sound quite as good. 

Two more cheap(er) options I would consider trying: GR07 BE and DN-1000. Neither really channels the W3 but they're strong performers, especially considering the cost. Isolation could be better but it's not terrible.

Nope, and I already tried on multiple sources: phone, computer, etc
Edit: at the L-shaped plug, where the cable itself comes out, it seems a bit stretched/bent as if it was pulled out and then put back

The internal wire is most likely broken. If you have a soldering iron you can fix this by snipping off a bit of the cable and putting on a new plug.

Hi ljokerl,
Thanks for all your advice!!

I've been going through quite a few pages but I can't find anything that answer my issue: I quite enjoy the Momentum on ear and would like to find something similar in iems.....any suggestion (possibly at half the price of the MOE).
I have and enjoy the Sony MH1c. Unfortunately they keep slipping off my ears which makes it a bit tricky to listen to....
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks again for your suggestions!

MH1C would have been my first choice in that price range. Have you considered just getting new eartips for it instead? Foam tips should solve your problem. 

If you go up to ~100-150 in price, there are a few options such as the Yamaha EPH-100 (bassier, but not hugely so). The Shure SE215 is another option that's less expensive and similar in signature. The Phonak 012, if you can find it, would also be a solid choice - not as bassy as the EPH-100, SE215, or MH1C but still smooth and warm-sounding, and very good overall. Great fit and comfort, too.

Hi,

I have the Hifiman RE-600 and love it. I am looking for another pair of universal IEMs. I prefer a balanced presentation with nice treble extension, good mid-range and deep accurate bass. Basically a slight V shaped sound signature.
What would your recommendation be for universal IEMs below $600? Customs are not an option for me.

Couple of options I would read up on:

Dunu DN-2000: hybrid earphone with a less v-shaped signature compared to the cheaper DN-1000 but still no lack of bass impact or treble. Relatively inexpensive at ~$315 and would make for a good RE-600 compliment IMO
EarSonics SM64: has deep bass and a warm tone, with strong mids and slightly relaxed treble. Not quite v-shaped, but it's halfway there. It's warmer than the RE-600 and would make for an interesting change. The Westone W40 is not too different, but has less deep bass emphasis and slightly darker tone overall
Lear LUF-4F: v-shaped quad-BA earphone. Has more bass than RE-600 and bright, crisp, extended treble with lots of upper midrange energy. Mids sound clearer than W40 (for example) despite v-shaped signature. There are two other versions as well, one with more bass and one with more treble.
Olasonic Flat-4 Nami: very clear-sounding earphones with a mildly v-shaped signature. Very tight bass and even brighter than LUF-4F (closer to the LUF-4C, which has emphasized treble).

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #13,818 of 16,931
  Couple of options I would read up on:

Dunu DN-2000: hybrid earphone with a less v-shaped signature compared to the cheaper DN-1000 but still no lack of bass impact or treble. Relatively inexpensive at ~$315 and would make for a good RE-600 compliment IMO
EarSonics SM64: has deep bass and a warm tone, with strong mids and slightly relaxed treble. Not quite v-shaped, but it's halfway there. It's warmer than the RE-600 and would make for an interesting change. The Westone W40 is not too different, but has less deep bass emphasis and slightly darker tone overall
Lear LUF-4F: v-shaped quad-BA earphone. Has more bass than RE-600 and bright, crisp, extended treble with lots of upper midrange energy. Mids sound clearer than W40 (for example) despite v-shaped signature. There are two other versions as well, one with more bass and one with more treble.
Olasonic Flat-4 Nami: very clear-sounding earphones with a mildly v-shaped signature. Very tight bass and even brighter than LUF-4F (closer to the LUF-4C, which has emphasized treble).

Thanks for the response. The Earsonics sound interesting.
On another note:Have you heard the Sennheiser IE800. A guy i know is asking for $650 for an almost new pair?

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #13,819 of 16,931

I would say EarSonics SM64 based on those requirements. Not having tried the SD-3S (the new small version) I'm not sure how it fares in comfort but I've never had a problem wearing the EarSonics for hours. They tick the other boxes, too - good deep bass but not IE8 levels, warm sound, pretty easy-going overall considering it's a high-end BA monitor, and so on.

thanks for the answer joker , I tried the stagedivers , and I feel there is something cut off on the SD3, and somehow prefer the SD2. Didnt quite like the SM64 either, I think I should give the SDs another listen at the store , to find out which one of the two I like best. the comfort is pretty fine on the stagediver

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #13,820 of 16,931
MH1C would have been my first choice in that price range. Have you considered just getting new eartips for it instead? Foam tips should solve your problem. 

If you go up to ~100-150 in price, there are a few options such as the Yamaha EPH-100 (bassier, but not hugely so). The Shure SE215 is another option that's less expensive and similar in signature. The Phonak 012, if you can find it, would also be a solid choice - not as bassy as the EPH-100, SE215, or MH1C but still smooth and warm-sounding, and very good overall. Great fit and comfort, too.

Many many thnx!
I'll have a look into those.

The problem with the MH1C is also, forgot to mention, that they "don't work" with my ALO RX. Unless I keep the little "button" pressed all the time.....no problem if I use the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII though.....
blink.gif
blink.gif
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #13,821 of 16,931

Many many thnx!

The problem with the MH1C is also, forgot to mention, that they "don't work" with my ALO RX. Unless I keep the little "button" pressed all the time.....no problem if I use the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII though.....:blink: :blink: :cool:  

Recable and try over ear? I always wore my MH1C over ear despite cable. I got better sound with a deeper fit. More controlled bass and clearer treble. If you really push them into your ears they should stay. The new hybrids are among the easiest to get a seal with that I've tried.

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #13,822 of 16,931
Hi to all! :)

I need your help.
I want a budget IEM that would be very very comfortable (weight light and tiny house), something also to sleep with! Having the microphone and with the better sound at less than 50$.

I've seen something like Philips SHE 3595, very budget but I wonder if they have wood quality sound?
The perfect IEM with these characteristics seems the Sony XBA-1 ip.. very good looking, budget and with a balanced armature!! 

Do you have other suggestions?

Thank you :)

P.S. I have the Martin Logan Mikros 90, Shure SE215 s.e. and the Sony MH1c. The best is ML90.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #13,823 of 16,931
This is an epic multi-IEM review comparison thread, ljokerl!  I'm wondering, and please forgive me if something has changed, but I am wondering your thoughts on the Shure SE846, if you have gotten a chance to listen to them yet?  

Thanks, and great job on all you do on Head-Fi!

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #13,824 of 16,931
Anyone about an inexpensive recabling for the UE600vi?

Also, for my friend, he wants an IEM (~$75 budget) that is "good for everything" does that exist?? Lol, but seriously, I think he would like a warm and smooth sounding IEM b/c he liked my 9927 and ue600. Also tank-like build quality is a must, especially the cables.

-Seb (I like "signing" after longer than average posts x'D)

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #13,825 of 16,931
  The W3 is pretty unique in signature. The 1964-V3 and V6-Stage do come to mind, albeit with the same reservations you have about the StageDivers - the V6-Stage is pretty flat in the bass region (a-la SD-2) while the V3 is quite bass-heavy (but slightly more balanced than the SD-3 nonetheless). Could be a case where neither one hits your goldilocks zone. 

The rarely-mentioned Ultrasone IQ reminded me of the W3 in many ways - strong bass, strong treble, some dryness/analytical tendencies in the mids and treble, not bright despite treble energy, and so on. With some simple mods it actually sounds very good. Ditto on the discontinued Phonak PFE 232 - it's very similar, and doesn't require modding, but isolation is a little worse and the mids never sound quite as good. 

Two more cheap(er) options I would consider trying: GR07 BE and DN-1000. Neither really channels the W3 but they're strong performers, especially considering the cost. Isolation could be better but it's not terrible.

Thanks for that, seems that I tend towards unusual signatures.  Last iem I really liked was the venerable Sennheiser ie7.  Loved it apart from the isolation.  The main problem I have with the westone is the fit which can be a bit finnicky, even with the trufit tips now.  As usual, medium on the right is too big, whilst small is, yep too small!  When I mention isolation the least it has to do is to cut out people talking if possible.  With regards to 1964 ears, you mention the v6 stage, any reason to discount the 6 it'self?

Thanks

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #13,826 of 16,931

Also, for my friend, he wants an IEM (~$75 budget) that is "good for everything" does that exist?? Lol, but seriously, I think he would like a warm and smooth sounding IEM b/c he liked my 9927 and ue600. Also tank-like build quality is a must, especially the cables.

Built like a tank, smooth, warm. Sounds like MH1C. Though the cables are annoying as hell.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #13,827 of 16,931

no , but ue600 sounds like that , may be the xba-c10 ( lacks any kind of serous detail ). ety mc5 can do .

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #13,828 of 16,931
  Thanks for the response. The Earsonics sound interesting.
On another note:Have you heard the Sennheiser IE800. A guy i know is asking for $650 for an almost new pair?

Yea, I reviewed it here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-ie-800-dynamic-ear-monitor . Beware that it has a lot of bass - more than the EarSonics and others.

Many many thnx!

The problem with the MH1C is also, forgot to mention, that they "don't work" with my ALO RX. Unless I keep the little "button" pressed all the time.....no problem if I use the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII though.....
blink.gif
blink.gif
cool.gif

Just needs one of these for the ALO. Using only the green end will solve the problem. 

Hi to all! :)

I need your help.
I want a budget IEM that would be very very comfortable (weight light and tiny house), something also to sleep with! Having the microphone and with the better sound at less than 50$.

I've seen something like Philips SHE 3595, very budget but I wonder if they have wood quality sound?
The perfect IEM with these characteristics seems the Sony XBA-1 ip.. very good looking, budget and with a balanced armature!! 

Do you have other suggestions?

Thank you :)

P.S. I have the Martin Logan Mikros 90, Shure SE215 s.e. and the Sony MH1c. The best is ML90.

The SHE3595 is based on the 3580/3590, which are well-regarded. I quite like them. The XBA-1iP might be too long (in terms of housing length) to sleep with if you sleep in your side. Two more options you might consider (although they are not necessarily better than the Philips sound-wise) are the Brainwavz M5 (mic version) and the UE500vi. 

This is an epic multi-IEM review comparison thread, ljokerl!  I'm wondering, and please forgive me if something has changed, but I am wondering your thoughts on the Shure SE846, if you have gotten a chance to listen to them yet?  

Thanks, and great job on all you do on Head-Fi!

Yes, I have the SE846. Unfortunately it's enormous and not comfortable for more than 45 mins at a time so I haven't used it much. Sound is good but hasn't impressed me quite enough to suffer through the pain of using them.

UE600 can be found in that budget oftentimes - good bet if he liked it. Another one to check out would be the Fidue A63 - it has more bass than the BA-based UE600 and the Monoprice, which makes the sound a little mainstream, but it's not bloated or muddy-sounding.

Thanks for that, seems that I tend towards unusual signatures.  Last iem I really liked was the venerable Sennheiser ie7.  Loved it apart from the isolation.  The main problem I have with the westone is the fit which can be a bit finnicky, even with the trufit tips now.  As usual, medium on the right is too big, whilst small is, yep too small!  When I mention isolation the least it has to do is to cut out people talking if possible.  With regards to 1964 ears, you mention the v6 stage, any reason to discount the 6 it'self?

Thanks

I've only tried the -Stage version of the V6, unfortunately. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #13,829 of 16,931

Yea, I reviewed it here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-ie-800-dynamic-ear-monitor . Beware that it has a lot of bass - more than the EarSonics and others.

Just needs one of these for the ALO. Using only the green end will solve the problem. 

The SHE3595 is based on the 3580/3590, which are well-regarded. I quite like them. The XBA-1iP might be too long (in terms of housing length) to sleep with if you sleep in your side. Two more options you might consider (although they are not necessarily better than the Philips sound-wise) are the Brainwavz M5 (mic version) and the UE500vi. 

Yes, I have the SE846. Unfortunately it's enormous and not comfortable for more than 45 mins at a time so I haven't used it much. Sound is good but hasn't impressed me quite enough to suffer through the pain of using them.

UE600 can be found in that budget oftentimes - good bet if he liked it. Another one to check out would be the Fidue A63 - it has more bass than the BA-based UE600 and the Monoprice, which makes the sound a little mainstream, but it's not bloated or muddy-sounding.

I've only tried the -Stage version of the V6, unfortunately. 

Thank you, ljokerl, for your quick reply, I appreciate it.  The Shure SE846's are pretty big, but comfort, and the audio it emits can be drastically improved if you invest in the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves that are specifically made for the Shure SE846.  I own them, and they feel like I am literally wearing nothing, because the sleeves are the highest quality silicone, and the full shell mold they create of your ear impressions goes as far as the second bend of the ear canal and covers/envelops the incisura, and concha (cymba and cavum) parts of the ear, resulting in the ultimate in comfort (more comfortable than acrylic because of its more forgiving and molding properties).  I even have them in the Crystal Blue color, which won't discolor, unlike other clear (opaque) silicone sleeves (if your pH is such that will discolor the clear (opaque) color).  I can't send a link without the message being immediately sent to moderators on here, (I'm still new on here and don't have post pic or link-to rights yet) so you can just google "Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves for SE846".  I'm going to post a review of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves on the Shure SE846 Impressions Thread once I obtain rights to post pictures.  Give the custom sleeves a try, I think that if you do invest in them, you'll enjoy the Shure SE846 that much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back