Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #13,861 of 16,931
Hey Joker,

I can understand that putting a value in the differences between the FXD80 and FXT90 is hard and pretty subjective, but is the difference fairly noticeable?

And are there many more differences between them?

Cheers again!

Edit: I've just had a look through the FXD80/70/60 thread (didn't know it mentioned the FXT90) and it seems like the differences aren't as big as I thought - and I didn't realise that burning them in would take over 100 hours. A few users also said that the mid-bass gets a bit better with burn in so I'll try to burn my new pair properly (I had maybe 50 hours of just normal listening on them)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, you would definitely notice the differences in sound signature, but not so much in performance (i.e. FXT90 might have a little more quantity of mid-bass and midrange, but with similar quality).

Thank you all for the helpful responses, I am looking into  GR07 BE and XBA- H3 and TDK BA-200
MHA-750 has the dreaded  " slightly V shaped signature " in reviews... deal breaker... No prominent highs for me in foreseeable future.

To give you an idea, my full size headphone is Sony MA 900 and I am  HD 650 aspirant....dark and warm signatures.. I am always fixated on mids/vocals  but am realizing the fun good bass can provide  and that I am very sensitive to sibilance ( BD DT 990, DBA-02 mk II).

So  so-called criteria above can be revised as

1) mid centric signature ( lush, thick, sweet, full sounding etc) with very very good bass ( punchy, clean, extending, deep etc)

2) easy to drive on GS3 aka high sensitivity, low impedance

3) Better than A161P as "upgrade" is the buzzword

Everything else is secondary  and I can compromise on inline controls, comfort, microphonics, other sonic attributes etc

Tentative budget is up to 250 $

Can you please give me a few more recommendation with these less restrictive criteria?

TDK BA200 or potentially Sony MDR-7550 if you're okay with crap isolation and the odd fit. These are not bass-heavy earphones, but if you're okay with the bass from the A161 they should work for you. They both have a warmer, less analytical sound compared to the A161P but that seems to be what you're after.

How do you guys compare the GR07 BE to the JBL Synchros Reflect Non Bluetooth model.

I want to know basically is the GR07 BE honestly worth the 100 dollars more over those JBL's.

I'm looking for clear and detailed vocals like the Westone 2 supposedly has, more bass than the the S4, X Series by Klipsch. Not to too harsh on treble.

I own the S4 by Klipsch and they are okay for 50 dollars but they are muddy with bass and can't really handle EQ tuning.

I listen to Rap, Trap, Dubstep, Rock, Techno, Trance.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Never tried those JBLs. The last ones I did try (the J22) were crap. The GR07 BE does not have more bass than the S4, the S4 is pretty bassy even though it's not great quality bass. If you want lots of bass while maintaining quality and good mids, you're looking at something like the Yamaha EPH-100.

Hello Joker,

Have you ever heard of these? They go by the name "Ivery IS-1" (or Liberty 1). They're making waves here in China, so I happen to buy one for just 40 RMB (around $6 US dollars). They sound incredible and basically out did all my IEM's! It does need burn-in time to open up (store owner told me 50 or more hours), but WOW! Does it open up!

1. Good build quality
2. Details are extremely vivid and Analytical
3. Vocals are breath-taking and realistic (not forward or laidback)
4. Bass is quick, stable and clear. Incredible sub-bass (not boomy, knor bloated)
5. Good soundstage
6. Overall, extremely balanced!

They also have a special switch (the first I've ever seen) for converting the signal to what ever source you're using (or reverse polarity for MIC and ground wire). So, basically you can use it for professional audio monitoring or your smart phone for incoming/outgoing calls. Incredible concept by this company!

Take a look at some PIX and enjoy!

Hope you enjoyed the pix as much as I did!

Please let me know what's your thoughts......
darthsmile.gif

PS. -They're are starting to sell to the US market from as low as $12 to $30 dollars! I'm sure they're not fakes for the moment, for they haven't gain a large reputation, as of yet towards the US market.

Nope, never heard of them. That switch is very smart though! There's a few other manufacturers that offer a ground/mic reversal switch but it's always in the form of a separate adapter.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #13,862 of 16,931
  Yeah, you would definitely notice the differences in sound signature, but not so much in performance (i.e. FXT90 might have a little more quantity of mid-bass and midrange, but with similar quality).

What exactly are the differences in the sound signature?

Also, is there an easy to way me to test out which sound signatures I like without buying lots of different headphones?

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #13,863 of 16,931
  Hello Joker,

Have you ever heard of these? They go by the name "Ivery IS-1" (or Liberty 1). They're making waves here in China, so I happen to buy one for just 40 RMB (around $6 US dollars). They sound incredible and basically out did all my IEM's! It does need burn-in time to open up (store owner told me 50 or more hours), but WOW! Does it open up!

What IEMs did they out do?

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #13,864 of 16,931

Those tips look like Heir tips.  This might be like paying $6 (aliexpress) for a set of Heir tips and a free IEM!

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #13,865 of 16,931
Hi all, and mighty Joker :)
i have a couple of questions regarding the JVC HA-FXT90.
i currently own the VSonic VSD1S, i love the sound and was wondering if the FXT90
would be an upgrade.
is the FXT90's bass more/less impactful the the VSD1S'?
is the FXT90's treble harsher\more prone to sibilance\more fatiguing than the VSD1S'?
is the FXT90's fit just like any other straight-barrel, or is it more secure?
and how would the JVC's compare to the Meelec A161P...?
Thanx!!

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #13,866 of 16,931

What exactly are the differences in the sound signature?

Also, is there an easy to way me to test out which sound signatures I like without buying lots of different headphones?

They're similar in the sense that both can be called v-shaped, but other than that they're pretty different. The FXT90 is more mid-bassy but also has warmer/thicker/fuller mids by a good margin. The FXD80 is more focused on deep bass vs mid-bass and has thinner/more withdrawn mids by a good margin. It also has a more "wide and flat" soundstage whereas the FXT90 is more forward and has better depth. 

There's an app that lets you use reference headphones and pre-set EQ settings to "try out" different other sound signatures. I believe it's curated by GoldenEars and you can find it on their site.

Hi all, and mighty Joker :)
i have a couple of questions regarding the JVC HA-FXT90.
i currently own the VSonic VSD1S, i love the sound and was wondering if the FXT90
would be an upgrade.
is the FXT90's bass more/less impactful the the VSD1S'?
is the FXT90's treble harsher\more prone to sibilance\more fatiguing than the VSD1S'?
is the FXT90's fit just like any other straight-barrel, or is it more secure?
and how would the JVC's compare to the Meelec A161P...?
Thanx!!

The FXT90 has more mid/upper bass, which gives it a slightly warmer/fuller/less mid-recessed sound, but overall bass quantity is not very different from the VSD1S. I guess I would give the JVCs the nod for slightly more bass, from memory at least. The FXT90 also has its treble emphasis lower down compared to VSonic sets. I personally prefer this as it reduces sibilance, but it can make the JVCs sound a little harsh. The A161P is very different, much flatter through the bass region with no mid-bass hump, clearer, a little more grainy but not as sparkly or extended in the treble region.

The FXT90 has an angled nozzle. For me the fit was fine even over longer stretches.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #13,869 of 16,931
  What IEMs did they out do?

Just keep in mind…..in sound alone they outperformed all my gems.
But, in no way I’m saying the quality itself is better and there soundstage is the best.
That I personally give tops honors to the “IF Edition” Xiaomi Pistons.
Think about it,
1.      Quality: You can’t get any IEM with the materials this dishes out for the price; Alloy housing, beryllium diaphragm, Kevlar wires, fancy case, carry pouch, full smart phone controls (with exception to some), metal shirt clip, and don’t forget, the first to add scent (the smell of chocolate) to their storage case.

2.      Sound: With the beryllium diaphragm, these IEM’s produce an incredible realistic soundstage with a full-bodied sound that competes with full-size headphones. Don’t take my word for it, take a look at “amazon” and see for yourself. The reviews are astonishing!

3.      Price: Do the math…..Quality + Sound = Best price for your money!
But, this is where I was surprised by the Ivery IS-1 (Liberty 1’s).
1.      Quality: Actually, pretty good! Considering the price I paid for them and what you get; Tough plastic/alloy housing, good stable and quality wires, MIC remote with the special converter switch (between any audio source and smart phones),...a first, I think?…..Small and comfortable enough to please many people from different walks of life.

2.      Sound: I don’t know the quality of diaphragm these IEM’s carry, but the sound just blew me away! Best analytical and realistic sound I’ve heard, by far! Even though soundstage might not top the Pistons, the overall sound range just betters them! They are mildly V shaped giving you just the right high notes, vocals, and sub-bass tones, when needed.

3.      Price: This is a no brainer! In sound alone, I wonder if these will give the Dunu DN-1000 a run for their money! And I’m saying a lot of money!
Ok. Now you know where I’m coming at when I’m saying…..in sound alone they outperformed all my gems.
I currently own and it put to shame all these models…..in no particular order, just off my head.
1.      Soundmagic E10
2.      Soundmagic ES10
3.      Soundmagic PL30
4.      Soundmagic E30
5.      Soundmagic ES20
6.      Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition
7.      Vsonic GR99
8.      Meelectronics SP51
9.      Soundmagic ES18
10.  Monoprice 8320
11.  Philips SHE3580/90
12.  Senmai SM-E1014
13.  Senmai SM-E9106
14.  Moxpad X3
15.  XKDUN CK-700
16.  Razor PAX09
17.  Xiaomi Pistons 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, IF Edition
18.  Xiaomi Paperback Edition
19.  Shure SE215
20.  Sony MDR-EX083
I still like all my IEM’s for their unique sound signatures, but these are currently my new number 1's.
Finally, if you decide to get them, please keep in mind to burn, burn, burn -at least 60 hours or more to get the audiophile quality signature it provides. So, make sure not to judge there sound right out the box.
-Hope this gives you an idea where the Ivery IS-1 (Liberty 1) stands!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #13,870 of 16,931
Still sounds to me like the Vsonic GR07 BE which is very balanced sounding with nice extended bottom end (not bass head levels though) that does not leak into the mids. Mid presentation is nice and warm and highs which is not sibilant like the DBA02 MkII but very detailed.

Well, that leaves me in no doubt about your recommendation as I indulge in this mental self pleasuring exercise called looking for a headphone on head-fi 
tongue_smile.gif

GR07 BE still  among the options. Negs are slight bulk, 40 ohm impedance out of GS3 ( I am fed on 16 ohm and 13 ohm IEMs ), lack of inline controls etc... Still pondering.

TDK BA200 or potentially Sony MDR-7550 if you're okay with crap isolation and the odd fit. These are not bass-heavy earphones, but if you're okay with the bass from the A161 they should work for you. They both have a warmer, less analytical sound compared to the A161P but that seems to be what you're after.

As much as I am thrilled every time by response from Legendary Ijokerl, my quibbling goes on
regular_smile .gif

Ruled out MDR 7550 a while ago for the reasons you pointed above. TDK BA 200 is very much on the radar but for the 32 ohm impedance. I really want something easy to drive. So, I used the find feature on page 1 of this  thread for 16 ohm headphones  ( my A161p was 16 ohm, UE 600vi was 13 ohm ,both very easy to drive from GS3, DBA-02 was 43 ohm, had to return it) and another option , namely RHB- EP2 came up. Its slightly dark signature is tempting for me, and seemingly meets most of my needs including inline controls.

Your rating for  its sound is 8.5 ( 8.7 for A161p and, 8.9 for RHA MA 750) although you noted that mids on EP2 are clearer than both RHA-MA 750 and GR07 -BE despite all these having strong bass presence but you preferred the latter IEMs overall. My signature preference is leading me to EP2 but not much info is available about it on this forum other than your in depth review and comparisons.

I am just wondering if you can comment on RHB- EP2 as an upgrade from  A161p (level of details etc). I know that you are not sitting in this heap of IEMs, doing comparisons on demand and that I feel silly asking all these questions but anything you say is sort of window for me as to what to expect after buying these.

BTW, I am ordering A161p anyway, but want to try another IEM. Should have listened when they said " sorry about your wallet" 
blink.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #13,871 of 16,931
What should I try next?

Meelectronics M9P - Enjoyed how fun they sounded (V-shaped), but mids were very lacking
Vsonic GR02 - hated these.  Way too harsh all around - treble was piercing and bass overwhelmed everything
SoundMagic E10 - incredibly boring to me.  Sound kind of neutral and just don't do it for me.  I'd compare them to a $5 set of IEMs to my ears
JVC Marshmallows - surprisingly really like the punch of the bass and overall sound, but it gets a bit crackly and highs aren't that clear

Looking to keep these cheap (<$30) since reviews rarely match what I expect and I go through IEM's like crazy losing/breaking them.

Philips SHE3580?  JVC HAFX40?  Something else?  These would be used for all genres.  I'd ideally like to have good mid-bass punch, forward mids, and highs that don't kill my ears with terrible piercing noises.

Based on my impression, it would be a tough fight between the Xiaomi Pistons and the Philips depending on what you seek in your ideal sound.

Xiaomi Pistons are definitely more lush-sounding than the Philips and leans towards the warm side.

Philips 3580/3590 triumphs the pistons imo when it comes to transparency and its relative clarity. Though if you have lots of sibilant recordings or have an usual paranoia towards the highs then the Pistons would be a better choice.

I would pick the Philips over the Pistons myself based on my preferences. And they sit slightly more snugly in my ears than the Pistons do.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #13,872 of 16,931
Just keep in mind…..in sound alone they outperformed all my gems.

But, in no way I’m saying the quality itself is better and there soundstage is the best.

That I personally give tops honors to the “IF Edition” Xiaomi Pistons.

Think about it,

1.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Quality: You can’t get any IEM with the materials this dishes out for the price; Alloy housing, beryllium diaphragm, Kevlar wires, fancy case, carry pouch, full smart phone controls (with exception to some), metal shirt clip, and don’t forget, the first to add scent (the smell of chocolate) to their storage case.

2.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Sound: With the beryllium diaphragm, these IEM’s produce an incredible realistic soundstage with a full-bodied sound that competes with full-size headphones. Don’t take my word for it, take a look at “amazon” and see for yourself. The reviews are astonishing!

3.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Price: Do the math…..Quality + Sound = Best price for your money!

But, this is where I was surprised by the Ivery IS-1 (Liberty 1’s).

1.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE]Quality: Actually, pretty good! Considering the price I paid for them and what you get; Tough plastic/alloy housing, good stable and quality wires, MIC remote with the special converter switch (between any audio source and smart phones),...a first, I think?…..Small and comfortable enough to please many people from different walks of life.

2.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Sound: I don’t know the quality of diaphragm these IEM’s carry, but the sound just blew me away! Best analytical and realistic sound I’ve heard, by far! Even though soundstage might not top the Pistons, the overall sound range just betters them! They are mildly V shaped giving you just the right high notes, vocals, and sub-bass tones, when needed.

3.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Price: This is a no brainer! In sound alone, I wonder if these will give the Dunu DN-1000 a run for their money! And I’m saying a lot of money!

Ok. Now you know where I’m coming at when I’m saying…..in sound alone they outperformed all my gems.

I currently own and it put to shame all these models…..in no particular order, just off my head.

1.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Soundmagic E10

2.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Soundmagic ES10

3.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Soundmagic PL30

4.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Soundmagic E30

5.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Soundmagic ES20

6.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition

7.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Vsonic GR99

8.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Meelectronics SP51

9.[SIZE=7pt]     [/SIZE] Soundmagic ES18

10.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Monoprice 8320

11.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Philips SHE3580/90

12.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Senmai SM-E1014

13.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Senmai SM-E9106

14.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Moxpad X3

15.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] XKDUN CK-700

16.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Razor PAX09

17.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Xiaomi Pistons 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, IF Edition

18.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Xiaomi Paperback Edition

19.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Shure SE215

20.[SIZE=7pt] [/SIZE] Sony MDR-EX083

I still like all my IEM’s for their unique sound signatures, but these are currently my new number 1's.

Finally, if you decide to get them, please keep in mind to burn, burn, burn -at least 60 hours or more to get the audiophile quality signature it provides. So, make sure not to judge there sound right out the box.
-Hope this gives you an idea where the Ivery IS-1 (Liberty 1) stands!  :)

Now you got me curious about ljokerl's comments on the Liberty-1.

Meanwhile until they are available in Singapore.

I need to wait for my JH13FPs to arrive and I am looking at the Victor JVC FX850 combo with Silver Dragon / DHC Symbiote Fusion Hybrid Cables for universal setup.

Shouldn't have come back to head-fi and go busting off my wallets yet again.. =(

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #13,873 of 16,931
I second the fit of the FXT90 is good even for long listening sessions.

Just want to say that I really like the FA Consonance for my bass fix. was wondering how come it has not been mentioned often.

I personally don't recommend them often because of the shaky availability in the US. 

As much as I am thrilled every time by response from Legendary Ijokerl, my quibbling goes on
regular_smile%20.gif

Ruled out MDR 7550 a while ago for the reasons you pointed above. TDK BA 200 is very much on the radar but for the 32 ohm impedance. I really want something easy to drive. So, I used the find feature on page 1 of this  thread for 16 ohm headphones  ( my A161p was 16 ohm, UE 600vi was 13 ohm ,both very easy to drive from GS3, DBA-02 was 43 ohm, had to return it) and another option , namely RHB- EP2 came up. Its slightly dark signature is tempting for me, and seemingly meets most of my needs including inline controls.

Your rating for  its sound is 8.5 ( 8.7 for A161p and, 8.9 for RHA MA 750) although you noted that mids on EP2 are clearer than both RHA-MA 750 and GR07 -BE despite all these having strong bass presence but you preferred the latter IEMs overall. My signature preference is leading me to EP2 but not much info is available about it on this forum other than your in depth review and comparisons.

I am just wondering if you can comment on RHB- EP2 as an upgrade from  A161p (level of details etc). I know that you are not sitting in this heap of IEMs, doing comparisons on demand and that I feel silly asking all these questions but anything you say is sort of window for me as to what to expect after buying these.

BTW, I am ordering A161p anyway, but want to try another IEM. Should have listened when they said " sorry about your wallet" 
blink.gif

I wish the EP2 was a little less harsh in the upper midrange - that's the biggest gripe I had with it because overall it is a very solid earphone. That said, it's not neutral-sounding - certainly not as neutral as the A161P. It's a little too mid-bassy/bloated compared to the A161P and as a result a little more congested and less detailed.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #13,874 of 16,931

Those tips look like Heir tips.  This might be like paying $6 (aliexpress) for a set of Heir tips and a free IEM!

I know it sounds crazy! I just happen to walk in for a second time at this Mom and Pop headphone shop near my company and listened to these from a -"have a try rack" of in-ear headphones and was blown away! I happen to try each IEM straight down the line and was completely startled with these. Honestly, if I can recall, some of them ranged $500 dollars, or more! This guy only carries the most wanted headphones and IEM's in his store. That's why I went back!

Now, these weren't the cheapest, by far. I know cheap when I see it. For example there's a fine-line I draw; if the wires are any thinner then the Philips SHE3580 or the Soundmagic ES10 and the sound is not convincing? I won't buy it! Simple as that. But the Liberty 1 seemed to fit the bill; good wires (thicker than 3580 and ES10), housing contours to most, if not all different ear shape canals. And yes, you said it! Nice ear tips! Can you really say you get the IEM's for free? Who knows!

Again, comparing to all the IEM's in this store -the sound on these just blew me away! And that converter switch just hyped it even more!
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back