Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #12,481 of 16,931
  Wow, at those prices ($350 for a DBA-02??) it really seems like the Music One is your best bet for the following reasons -
1. It's really hard to upgrade from the UE700 in comfort without going custom, period
2. It ticks most of your boxes, at least as much as an IEM in your price range can
3. It seems like with that you're not getting a hugely worse price than if you were located in the US or Asia
4. No need to invest an extra $80+ in custom tips

Things to consider
1. The Music One is less bright than the UE700. If you're used to the UE700's treble it may take a little bit of time to get used to having less "sparkle" but I still think the Music One sounds more natural overall
2. The Music One is not clearer than the UE700, in part because it is not as bright
3. Not sure about the audio of the Lumia 920 but a lot of the (android) smartphones I've tried don't sound great with BA earphones. I would expect the UE700 to be more sensitive to this than the Music One, though, so it seems like you're okay there.

From Peter's description the Music Two sounds awesome as well but of course I can't really have an opinion on it based on just graphs. 

Long price-story short: DBA-02 are $200 ~ 140€, add 20% VAT and 20% strong-currency-penalty and they are 200€ (the usual dollar w/o VAT == euro w/ VAT). Add awful availability (official german reseller: not listed; official uk reseller: out of stock; amazon uk: not listed; amazon germany: not listed; ...) so the sole amazon marketplace seller asks 249€ incl. VAT ~ $344. Finally I also found them on fischer-products.eu for 116€ with free shipping from the russian federation o_O.

Reading my last postig again ignoring crazy euro-prizes, non-availability, and custom-eartips-markup, what would be your answers then?

DBA-02 mkII? ER-4S? Brainwavz B2? j-phonic K2 SP? Custom Art Music One?
Others?

Are they noticeable upgrades? (For example I remeber reading between the lines, that, from all TWFK-implementations, you don't like the UE700 much. On the other hand: Would an upgrade from TWFK to TWFK be worth even only $150 anyway?)
How do they meet my wished-for requirements?

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #12,482 of 16,931
Long price-story short: DBA-02 are $200 ~ 140€, add 20% VAT and 20% strong-currency-penalty and they are 200€ (the usual dollar w/o VAT == euro w/ VAT). Add awful availability (official german reseller: not listed; official uk reseller: out of stock; amazon uk: not listed; amazon germany: not listed; ...) so the sole amazon marketplace seller asks 249€ incl. VAT ~ $344. Finally I also found them on fischer-products.eu for 116€ with free shipping from the russian federation o_O.

Reading my last postig again ignoring crazy euro-prizes, non-availability, and custom-eartips-markup, what would be your answers then?

Others?

Are they noticeable upgrades? (For example I remeber reading between the lines, that, from all TWFK-implementations, you don't like the UE700 much. On the other hand: Would an upgrade from TWFK to TWFK be worth even only $150 anyway?)

The brainwavz b2 is currently 55 gbp on amazon UK. By far the best for the money at that price, and joker's ranking is the same as the DBA mkii.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #12,483 of 16,931
@Joker
Can you give a quick E10M vs Quadbeat 2 ?

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #12,484 of 16,931
  Hi joker,

i'm really confuse to choose between gr07be, ba200, vc1000, re400, and eph100
i like to listen to jazz audiophile song, sometimes poprock songs like maroon5.
i really like clarity and detail, but also want some bass impact/quantity.
which one should i choose?
can you rank based on clarity from the list? (you had answered this question previously, but i add ba200)
and can you rank them based on bass quantity only? (may i add monoprice 8320 and vsd1s on the list :) )
thanks joker:)

The BA200 has similar clarity to the RE-400 IMO. It would be whatever ranking I gave before with the BA200 on-par with the RE-400

For bass quantity I would rank them as follows: EPH-100 >> VSD1S ~ GR07BE > BA200 > RE-400 ~ VC1000 ~ Monoprice

Others?

I liked the Logitech UE700 (which is the one you have IIRC) better than the pre-Logitech one so I wouldn't really recommend "upgrading" to the B2 or DBA-02.

Last time I was just commenting on the pricing off hand. My recommendation won't change even ignoring pricing and availability. The only other set I would consider based on sound quality and your requisites would be the Etymotic, mostly because it is a little clearer and brighter overall than the Music One. There's a full ER4S/Music One comparison in the Music One review: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/custom-art-music-one-review/  

@Joker

I've never tried a Quadbeat 2

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #12,485 of 16,931
Hi guys.

First a huge merry Xmas to all and happy 2014.

Second, I want some opinions/sugestions.
I have been in love with a pair of eph 100. I even use them over my hd598. Since I AM enjoying thia new IEM experiente I would like to try something new. I am considering a ba IEM. As I did with the eph 100 I want as much bang for the buck as possible.

My options so far:
TDK bá 2000
Ety hf5
Sony xba 1 and xba h1
Rock it sounds r50

And all the others you might consider.

I have read the list over and over...

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #12,486 of 16,931
Hi guys.

I have been in love with a pair of eph 100. I even use them over my hd598. Since I AM enjoying thia new IEM experiente I would like to try something new. I am considering a ba IEM. As I did with the eph 100 I want as much bang for the buck as possible.

My options so far:
TDK bá 2000
Ety hf5
Sony xba 1 and xba h1
Rock it sounds r50

Those all sound very different from the EPH-100. It seems like you are looking for a contrast to the EPH-100, but that's still a very wide set of requirements. Anything specific you're after?

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #12,487 of 16,931
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #12,488 of 16,931

The BA200 has similar clarity to the RE-400 IMO. It would be whatever ranking I gave before with the BA200 on-par with the RE-400

For bass quantity I would rank them as follows: EPH-100 >> VSD1S ~ GR07BE > BA200 > RE-400 ~ VC1000 ~ Monoprice

thanks for reply
so for jazz audiophile (susan wong, stacey kent,etc, AND poprock like maroon5) which one is more suitable for me ?

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #12,489 of 16,931
Quote:
  @Joker

Let me answer this question. E10m has more sub-bass and treble than Qb2 while Qb2 has more midbass and forward mids than E10m. Qb2 will sound punchy and mid-centic while E10m is "V" shaped and energytic. I think Qb2 is more detailed than E10m. Just take it with a grain of salt.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #12,490 of 16,931
Hi guys.

My options so far:
TDK bá 2000
Ety hf5
Sony xba 1 and xba h1
Rock it sounds r50

If you are looking for an iem with less bass than EPH 100, you might consider Etymotic Hf5 and a 75 ohm adapter which makes it sound almost similar to ER4s.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #12,491 of 16,931
  I liked the Logitech UE700 (which is the one you have IIRC) better than the pre-Logitech one so I wouldn't really recommend "upgrading" to the B2 or DBA-02.

Last time I was just commenting on the pricing off hand. My recommendation won't change even ignoring pricing and availability. The only other set I would consider based on sound quality and your requisites would be the Etymotic, mostly because it is a little clearer and brighter overall than the Music One. There's a full ER4S/Music One comparison in the Music One review: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/custom-art-music-one-review/

Many thanks |joker|. :) So I think I'm going to stick with the Music Two – seems too enticing on pre-order. :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #12,492 of 16,931
Hi there ljokerl, im new to this forum but thank you very much for your awesome review. I was hoping something like that existed on the internet but the more i searched the less hope i had to stumble across a review like that. Keep it up!

Im not a expert by any means though I have a huge passion for music and spending hours listening to various of styles but mainly hiphop and r&b. I just ordered a new pair of Klipsch S4 which i think are good for exercising but Im now looking for a BIG upgrade. I dont want to spend a lot of money just to realise they are just a "little" bit better then my Klipsch.

Which of the following earphones would you recommend (maybe you could rank them according to your taste):

Klipsch x10
Im bit worried they are too similiar to the Klipsch S4 and having that narrow sound spectrum as I want to try something new.. i think.

Philips Fidelio S1
The open style of the S1 is worrying me because Im so used to having good isolation from using the Klipsch.

Nocs 800
Looks good on paper but do you think the bassline is too weak ?

Monster Cable Turbine with headset
They look good on first glance however im bit concerned that they lack the clarity im looking for. For example i listen to some african music like P-Square and on the Klipsch it just sounds aweful. Sure the track was only 128kbps but still..

SteelSeries Flux Pro
Only because you recommended them :wink:. I dont like the tanglefree cable though, not big fan of any earphones using such cables at all matter of fact as they create extra weight and not too good for exercising.

Sorry for the complicated question but ive spent days trying to figure this out ;/

thx once again!

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #12,493 of 16,931
The eph are excelent but I am looking for a different sound sig. I like the definition, soundstage. The BA are a technology I never tried.

What could you tell me? By the reviews I am leaning towards the Sony or the Ety. The er4 are espensive and from what i read very analitic and I want to enjoy the music, thats why I thought about the hf5. The sony are good?

Those all sound very different from the EPH-100. It seems like you are looking for a contrast to the EPH-100, but that's still a very wide set of requirements. Anything specific you're after?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #12,494 of 16,931
The eph are excelent but I am looking for a different sound sig. I like the definition, soundstage. The BA are a technology I never tried.

What could you tell me? By the reviews I am leaning towards the Sony or the Ety. The er4 are espensive and from what i read very analitic and I want to enjoy the music, thats why I thought about the hf5. The sony are good?

It looks like the new line of Sony BA's is much better I'd say that trying the xba-10 will prove the point. Can someone take the hint?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #12,495 of 16,931
Merry Xmas Joker and a great 2014 wooden horse year!!!

Reading your thread enlightened me and made me discover my preferences in a much more detailed fashion. Like most people say here "Wellcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet"     
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back