Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #12,496 of 16,931
  Umm what about Quadbeat 1 vs E10m ?

The Quadbeat is a little more balanced with less recessed mids and an overall clearer, more detailed sound. The E10 is more mid-bassy and a little more v-shaped overall.

thanks for reply
so for jazz audiophile (susan wong, stacey kent,etc, AND poprock like maroon5) which one is more suitable for me ?

Depends on your preferred sound signature. Safest bets would probably be the VSD1S (due to price/performance) and BA200.

Hi there ljokerl, im new to this forum but thank you very much for your awesome review. I was hoping something like that existed on the internet but the more i searched the less hope i had to stumble across a review like that. Keep it up!

Im not a expert by any means though I have a huge passion for music and spending hours listening to various of styles but mainly hiphop and r&b. I just ordered a new pair of Klipsch S4 which i think are good for exercising but Im now looking for a BIG upgrade. I dont want to spend a lot of money just to realise they are just a "little" bit better then my Klipsch.

Which of the following earphones would you recommend (maybe you could rank them according to your taste):

Klipsch x10
Im bit worried they are too similiar to the Klipsch S4 and having that narrow sound spectrum as I want to try something new.. i think.

Philips Fidelio S1
The open style of the S1 is worrying me because Im so used to having good isolation from using the Klipsch.

Nocs 800
Looks good on paper but do you think the bassline is too weak ?

Monster Cable Turbine with headset
They look good on first glance however im bit concerned that they lack the clarity im looking for. For example i listen to some african music like P-Square and on the Klipsch it just sounds aweful. Sure the track was only 128kbps but still..

SteelSeries Flux Pro
Only because you recommended them :wink:. I dont like the tanglefree cable though, not big fan of any earphones using such cables at all matter of fact as they create extra weight and not too good for exercising.

Sorry for the complicated question but ive spent days trying to figure this out ;/

thx once again!

Aside from the Fidelio S1 (which I very much like) and the Nocs 800 (which I haven’t heard) they are all ranked on the front page of this thread.

Why not try the EPH-100? It's got a powerful sound that should be good for hip-hop - very Monster Turbine Pro-like but for a lot less money. They also have good isolation. 

P.S. how "big" an upgrade is is very subjective and partly in the eye of the beholder. Some people think anything beyond the monoprice 8320 is a waste while others will squeeze out every last note with a Stax O2 or whatever the highest-end headphones are these days.

P.P.S. using higher-end earphones on a track encoded in 128kbps mp3 is kind of a waste…

The eph are excelent but I am looking for a different sound sig. I like the definition, soundstage. The BA are a technology I never tried.

What could you tell me? By the reviews I am leaning towards the Sony or the Ety. The er4 are espensive and from what i read very analitic and I want to enjoy the music, thats why I thought about the hf5. The sony are good?

I haven’t tried either of the Sonys. The HF5 sounds similar to the ER4 but it’s still a great sound to try. Huge contrast to the EPH-100, but in a good way 
wink.gif

Merry Xmas Joker and a great 2014 wooden horse year!!!

Reading your thread enlightened me and made me discover my preferences in a much more detailed fashion. Like most people say here "Wellcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet"     
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you, hope 2014 is kinder to your wallet!

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #12,498 of 16,931
Thanks for the reply ! Gonna buy QB2 now

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #12,499 of 16,931
Thx for your reply. Would 320kbps be minimum for higher end earphones?

The Yamaha EPH-100 dont have a headset which is why i didint list them :/

I think 192 kbps MP3 / 160kbps Ogg Vorbis  is the minimum, 320 kbps is great for hiphop. Which is, with all due respect, not the most instrumental demanding genre of music.
I believe the way music is encoded in MP3 format is quite suitable for hiphop due tot the use of electronic samples and voice/bass centred sound.
For other more detail rich genres of music (i.e. Classical or Metal), FLAC is the best choice in theory. But everybody has his opinion on this matter and the internet is full with it.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #12,500 of 16,931
I fully agree with you. This just so damn hard, due to limited offer here in Sweden i cant get ny hands on neither the Yamaha with mic or Klipsch x10 to a afforsqble price. For some reason Amazon had a nice offer on the x10 but shipping cost was set at 100 pounds lol. Now it seems that the Steelseries Flux Pro which arent on the same level as the rest of the listed options is my last choice. The Fidelio seem way to big and too weak of a bassline since im going from S4.

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #12,503 of 16,931

320kps is more than enough for listening when you are out and around. Flac or any other lossless formats are only essential for critical listenings. Keep in mind that hi-end headphones really benefit from lossless formats and show their potential other than that 320kbps mp3 is the way to go.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #12,505 of 16,931
It's quite natural that the evolution of music as a medium is as it has been. The technical development now allows people to store lossless again without bringing 100+ CD's which aren't technically lossless. If I were to be a bit philosophical, the music loses something as soon as it reaches your flawed human ears even in a live performance. There's always a limiting factor.

But there's to my knowledge also a difference in quality between similar bitrates and techniques. So to my ears, 320 ogg vorbis (Spotify extreme) sounds good enough for me under most circumstances. I don't own any high end system so I'm more biased towards availability and legal issues compared to price and performance. I need some real concentration to pick out the difference between a CD quality flac and a 320 ogg vorbis and I'd like to say that some tracks are 50/50, some 75/25 or so. I don't think I'll ever be 100% certain about the difference in an A/B test. And I think my ears are pretty good and sensitive. Then there's the placebo effect.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #12,506 of 16,931
I was wondering if joker or someone would be able to help?
I asked in the basshead forum but to no avail as yet.

"Hey what would people recommend between the Wooduo 2 and the AH-C300?
I have read both have plenty of bass and sub bass but which maintains detail and has a wider soundstage?
Are they similar or is one just pure bass and no high end sparkle?

Been listening to a lot more electronica and hip-hop and reggae and finding that without amping, my current iems just ain't up to it really.

I dont want to sacrifice clarity, detail and so on, I just want better lows, particularly sub.

Thanks"

Cheers

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #12,507 of 16,931

I agree with Pastapipo, for me 192kbps is the minimum. 320 is really rather good, especially for hip-hop, and I don't mind 320kbps files at all, especially on the go.

Also, I missed the mic requirement. In that case you might also want to consider the new JVC FRD80. It's the mic/remote version of the FXD80. Seems to be pretty cheap on ebay at the moment.

I fully agree with you. This just so damn hard, due to limited offer here in Sweden i cant get ny hands on neither the Yamaha with mic or Klipsch x10 to a afforsqble price. For some reason Amazon had a nice offer on the x10 but shipping cost was set at 100 pounds lol. Now it seems that the Steelseries Flux Pro which arent on the same level as the rest of the listed options is my last choice. The Fidelio seem way to big and too weak of a bassline since im going from S4.

The Fidelios have more bass than the Flux Pro. It's the regular (non-pro) Flux that's the bassier SteelSeries earphones. 

Audiophile talk of lossless files always amuses me a bit, because people were listening to lossless audio long before the advent of DAPs in the form of CDs anyway... Never mind.

I think it's a natural progression. Highly compressed mp3s were a concession caused by expensive digital storage and low internet bandwidths/speeds, even in the mainstream. Now we are course-correcting back to less compressed audio as low-bitrate files are becoming less common all around.

I was wondering if joker or someone would be able to help?
I asked in the basshead forum but to no avail as yet.

"Hey what would people recommend between the Wooduo 2 and the AH-C300?
I have read both have plenty of bass and sub bass but which maintains detail and has a wider soundstage?
Are they similar or is one just pure bass and no high end sparkle?

Been listening to a lot more electronica and hip-hop and reggae and finding that without amping, my current iems just ain't up to it really.

I dont want to sacrifice clarity, detail and so on, I just want better lows, particularly sub.

Thanks"

Cheers

Sorry, as far as I know I've never even been in the same room as an AH-C300. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #12,508 of 16,931
Joker,

Do you (or anyone else here) happen to know of a good aftermarket tip to use on the id America Spark? Comply doesn't list this brand/model in their Tip-Finder menu.

The nozzles on these IEs are larger than a lot of others, but I am not really too impressed with the stock tips which came with these phones.

I wonder if there might be an appreciation thread here at Head-Fi for this earphone. The SQ sure does seem to be very impressive.

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #12,509 of 16,931
Comply tips can be stretched with a pencil or a chopstick. The 500-series stretched should fit even the widest nozzles. Auvio tips are wide diameter and are usually good in bringing out treble while keeping an open sound with a good bass response (my own experience) can be a bit harsh.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #12,510 of 16,931
Cool, I'll look into that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back