Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #12,451 of 16,931
  Hello guys, I have been trying to search this forum for a while, but I still could not decide what IEM to buy. Please help me out.

I need microphone, and volume up/down buttons.
I will use it with my nexus 5 and computer.
My budget is up to $20.
I live in Canada ON.
I can buy it from any trusted and famous website that accepts paypal, although I prefer ebay.ca.

Let me know if you need any other information.
Thanks.

First off, do you have any sound signature preferences?  Like it bassy, or neutral, or brighter sounding for example?

You may be able to get an LG Quadbeat 1 or 2 for around that price from Ebay (more likely the Quadbeat 1) but beyond that, I can't think of much that is good that also includes a remote.  I do remember someone mentioning the Etymotic MC2 was on sale or going for around $20 recently and that has a remote...sounds like a steal to me.  Etys are typically deep insert though, so that is something to consider.  There's also the Vsonic GR02 Bass as sometimes those can be found sub $30, but I'm not sure about availability in Canada.  Even though it doesn't have a remote/mic, that is one of the better deals out there purely in terms of sound quality.  One of the Quadbeats will most likely suit your requirements though.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #12,452 of 16,931
  First off, do you have any sound signature preferences?  Like it bassy, or neutral, or brighter sounding for example?

You may be able to get an LG Quadbeat 1 or 2 for around that price from Ebay (more likely the Quadbeat 1) but beyond that, I can't think of much that is good that also includes a remote.  I do remember someone mentioning the Etymotic MC2 was on sale or going for around $20 recently and that has a remote...sounds like a steal to me.  Etys are typically deep insert though, so that is something to consider.  There's also the Vsonic GR02 Bass as sometimes those can be found sub $30, but I'm not sure about availability in Canada.  Even though it doesn't have a remote/mic, that is one of the better deals out there purely in terms of sound quality.  One of the Quadbeats will most likely suit your requirements though.

I do not really have any sound signature preferences, but I can say; clean and neutral voice. I kind of except to buy something on sale... I'll check out quadbeats... thanks a lot.

guys let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #12,453 of 16,931
I need some help making a decision. I want to spend 125-150 (180 absolute tops) 

I listen mostly to high quality (for podcasts) talk radio style internet podcasts. when I'm not listening to that stuff I really like electronic dance music, and if it matters my fav. sub-genre's are: drum-n-bass, acid jazz, acid house/techno, broken beat, electro (both "straightbeat" and "breakbeat" styles), electro-house and fidget styles. I also like Jazz, Blues and Hip-Hop, with some occasional metal, hard-rock type stuff... 

edit: I like bass, but would prefer clarity/brightness over muddiness. I wear my earbuds (currently nuforce NE600X) for as long as 12hrs sometimes, and honestly the nuforce's are a bit heavy and my ears are a little sore after a long day. So if there is something lighter but will be a substantial upgrade to the nuforce's I'd be ecstatic!

I would mostly be listening to stuff through a blue-ant ribbon bluetooth 4.0 device (which supports the aptx profile). but my phone is an HTC One.

further edit: I forgot to stipulate, it must also be available on Amazon (preferrably prime, but that's not the deal breaker). I have considered GR07BE/GR07mkII, JVC HA-FXZ100 and phiaton ps 210 bluetooth headset, my only hangup with the phiaton's set is it's bluetooth 3.0 not 4.0, but does still support aptx and has a neat pass through so you can use it directly bypassing the bluetooth portion...

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #12,454 of 16,931
HiJoker,thank you very much for answering.I have one more question ,what kind of sound signature or type  thinks is the best  forhiphop?, I say it because it's almost 90 percent of what I hear, j, If you could put some example of iem sound signature you recommend?I.bough tin the past few Senheisser Ie8 because in Spain around me everyone was talking of his bass,but not nothing like me,veryboring for me,I dont want to fall into error  with the purchaseas because my economic situation is not good.Thans a lot,and sorry for my english.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #12,455 of 16,931
  Thanks for the notice Joker, much appreciated! 
I think this is a US only deal by the way. They don't ship to The Netherlands. 
But I'll keep my eyes on your site for other deals. 

Ah, sorry – I guess because this deal is by 3rd party seller it would be US only.

Hello guys, I have been trying to search this forum for a while, but I still could not decide what IEM to buy. Please help me out.

I need microphone, and volume up/down buttons.
I will use it with my nexus 5 and computer.
My budget is up to $20.
I live in Canada ON.
I can buy it from any trusted and famous website that accepts paypal, although I prefer ebay.ca.

Let me know if you need any other information.
Thanks.

Volume up/down buttons are usually meant for Apple/iOS devices. None of the ones I have work with the Nexus. You could either relax that requirement and get one of the many single-button headsets out there (like the Philips SHE3575, which should be in your budget) or try to find something with an analog volume slider, which works with all devices, like the Padacs Aksent 

Great review on the Stage Divers @|joker|; thank you!

I'm currently looking for a good reference signature universal with great natural sound/timbre. Should I consider the noble 4 and the SD-2 in my priority list? Which of the two is closest to natural sound?

Cheers!

I’ve only tried the Noble 4S. To me the SD-2 is a little darker than what I consider natural while the 4S is pretty spot-on (and more like the Etys eke mentioned).

P.S. What is ‘neutral’ and ‘natural’ will always depend on who you ask. Check out the “discussion” here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-re-400-waterline-and-re-600-songbird-dynamic-ear-monitors#comment-489901

IMO, it's one of those iems I think everyone should give a shot, along with the GR07.

I fully agree, everyone should at least try an Ety. My first was the ER6i – not Etymotic’s best but it was enough to get me hooked.

Hi Joker, can you (or someone else) who has heard both the Vsonic GR07 (mk.1) and Dunu DN-1000, give a brief comparison of both IEMs?

Yeah, sure, here's a quick one:

The DN1000 has more bass, especially deep bass. On the whole its sound signature is more v-shaped (more akin to the GR02 Bass Edition than any of my other VSonics). The GR07 is overall more balanced with less bass emphasis/more linear bass response and mids that are more in line with everything else. Due in part to the treble boost the DN1000 sounds a little clearer than the GR07 and, like the GR07, can be a little sibilant thanks to its treble emphasis. I think the DN1000 also has a slight advantage in soundstage depth/layering but need more listening to be sure.

Hi joker,

I don't like trebly sybilance. My iems now are the wooduo and qjays. Love them.
But saw the w3 amazon deal. 160$. Including shipping turns out only 160€. Great deal.

But after reading your post have my doubts. Not sure if w3 is for me .scared of its highs. What do you think.?

For example the dt 770 is a bit to much for me.

If you’re worried about sibilance I would honestly skip the W3. It might be a great deal at this price but if it’s not the right sound for you, it won’t matter how little you paid.

I need some help making a decision. I want to spend 125-150 (180 absolute tops) 
  I listen mostly to high quality (for podcasts) talk radio style internet podcasts. when I'm not listening to that stuff I really like electronic dance music, and if it matters my fav. sub-genre's are: drum-n-bass, acid jazz, acid house/techno, broken beat, electro (both "straightbeat" and "breakbeat" styles), electro-house and fidget styles. I also like Jazz, Blues and Hip-Hop, with some occasional metal, hard-rock type stuff... 
  edit: I like bass, but would prefer clarity/brightness over muddiness. I wear my earbuds (currently nuforce NE600X) for as long as 12hrs sometimes, and honestly the nuforce's are a bit heavy and my ears are a little sore after a long day. So if there is something lighter but will be a substantial upgrade to the nuforce's I'd be ecstatic!
  I would mostly be listening to stuff through a blue-ant ribbon bluetooth 4.0 device (which supports the aptx profile). but my phone is an HTC One.
  further edit: I forgot to stipulate, it must also be available on Amazon (preferrably prime, but that's not the deal breaker). I have considered GR07BE/GR07mkII, JVC HA-FXZ100 and phiaton ps 210 bluetooth headset, my only hangup with the phiaton's set is it's bluetooth 3.0 not 4.0, but does still support aptx and has a neat pass through so you can use it directly bypassing the bluetooth portion...

If you're prioritizing comfort these are the sets that stand out to me in that price range, arranged (approximately) by bass boost amount from highest to lowest:

RHA MA750 - The weight of the stainless steel housings is offset by the over-the-ear form factor, I've been consistently impressed with how comfortable these are despite their weight. Smooth sound with plenty of bass - no complaints there.
Klipsch X10 - Enhanced-bass earphones with good clarity. Can be worn cable-up or down. A real standout in comfort even if it doesn't sound as good as the MA750 or GR07.
GR07 BE - I've always found GR07s to be plenty comfortable. Has the most treble energy of the bunch here and good overall sound quality.
SteelSeries Flux - least expensive of the bunch. Has a punchy, warm sound and a slim, lightweight form factor
Phonak 012 - one of the most comfortable earphones I've tried. Over-the-ear fit and extremely lightweight. Very decent bass for a BA earphone.

HiJoker,thank you very much for answering.I have one more question ,what kind of sound signature or type  thinks is the best  forhiphop?, I say it because it's almost 90 percent of what I hear, j, If you could put some example of iem sound signature you recommend?I.bough tin the past few Senheisser Ie8 because in Spain around me everyone was talking of his bass,but not nothing like me,veryboring for me,I dont want to fall into error  with the purchaseas because my economic situation is not good.Thans a lot,and sorry for my english.

I can’t really tell you what type of sound you will enjoy with hip-hop but you seem to gravitate towards a more v-shaped sound if you like the Klipsch S4. The IE8 is not really a great match for the S4 sound signature – it’s more laid back, warm, and smooth.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #12,456 of 16,931
Thank you @|joker| ! That's very helpful.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #12,458 of 16,931
@ljokerl
thanks, I'll get something with just a mic feature then, most likely philips she3575, btw is there any website you suggest me to buy it from? It's sold for $5  to $20 
confused_face(1).gif

also, those are the ones I can find in Walmart, best buy, future shop etc. should I get one of these or for instance philips she3575 is better than all of these? 
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8003876
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8013369
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8003874
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8013072
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8004387
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8004358
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8003873
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8009758
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8002534
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8004384
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Earbud+Headphones&product=8003871

thank you.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #12,459 of 16,931
Joker,

I'd like your opinion on an IEM upgrade for me.  To give you an idea of the sound I'm looking for, here are some that I have and my impressions of them.

IEM comparison

TDK BA200 (stock comply tips).
VSonic GR07 MK2 (largest stock purple tips)
Monster Gratitude (Meelectronics double flanged tips)
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (Meelectronics double flanged tips)
Zero Audio Carbo Basso (Meelectronics double flanged tips)
HiFiman RE400 (Meelectronics double flanged tips)

Music preferences:  Rock and Pop.  

I would rank them as following:  Tenore > BA200 > Gratitude > GR07 MK2 > Basso > RE400.  Shocking, but you'll see why.

Treble:  Gratitude and GR07 MK2 sound the brightest, then Tenore, then Basso, then BA200.  I think the RE400 is equal to the Gratitude/GR07 MK2 or Tenore,  but don't recall exactly.  I found that the Gratitude was tuned too high (e.g. snare drums sound too bright).  BA200 treble is too smooth and not enough quantity.  Tenore is my favorite in this category because they aren't as smooth as BA200 and not as harsh as Gratitude/GR07 MK2.

Mids:   For vocals, the best are Tenore and BA200.  Female vocals sound like they are in the room singing to you and are so buttery; gives me chills.  I give a slight edge to Tenore because they sound more airy.  Gratitudes are clear but singer sounds farther away.

Bass:  My favorite in this category is the Gratitude.  In terms of quantity, Basso > Gratitude > Tenore > BA200=GR07 MK2 > RE400.  However, I found the Basso to have too much bass and not as good mids.  Gratitude has the best quality bass.  For my tastes, Gratitude and Tenore have the quantity that I desire.  Tenore bass hits hard enough and is punchy.  Bassos have too much and BA200, GR07 MK2, and RE400 have too little.

Detail:  GR07 MK2 and Gratitude have the most detail (and maybe RE400), then Tenore and Basso then BA200.

Efficiency:  GR07 MK2 is the most efficient, then Gratitude, BA200, Tenore/Basso.  Don't have the RE400 any longer to compare.

My favorite is the Tenore because they sound the most natural and true to life and they have the combination and quantity of bass/mid/treble that I desire.  Female vocals give me chills and have the most texture.  Next would be BA200 (smooth and great mids) and Gratitude (big and energetic).  Basso has too much bass and GR07 MK2 and RE400 had too little bass and sounded a little boring.

Improvements to my favorite 4 that I would love to find

Tenore: Would like slightly darker tuning (but not as dark as BA200), and bass quality of the Gratitude
BA200:  Would like more bass, more treble extension.
Gratitude:  Love the bass quantity and quality, detail, and treble extension.  Wish they were tuned darker so that they would sound more natural and true to life.  Snare drums too bright sounding.
GR07 MK2:  Would like more bass (maybe I'd like the Bass Edition?)

Any suggestions on what would fit the sound sig I'm looking for?  They need to have incredible vocals, have life-like tuning, quality bass and decent quantity bass, and detailed, but slightly smooth treble.

M200, MA750, S2, IM70?

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #12,460 of 16,931
Dear Joker,

I was wondering if you can help me decide on which IEM's to get, as an upgrade for my Klipsch S4i. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck IEM's with the following preferences (ranked in order of ones I most value to least):

1. Comfort - I have narrow ear canals and I want to wear these without knowing they're there, and if possible no ear fatigue for long listening periods. I also want them to be as light as possible.

2. Isolation - I will use these in subway commutes and long plane rides, I want to hear as less outside noise as possible.

3. Sound Quality - I listen mostly to electronic music and sometimes rock, and want to emphasize on having a good bass quality and quantity. Mids and treble are important but less so than bass. Good speed will be nice too. For these IEM's usage, I tend to focus less on neutrality and transparency.

4. Durability / Build Quality - I will do a lot of travel with these, and will likely yank out the headphone from my ears a few times. I don't want headphones that are so delicate that the cable will be disconnected from the earpiece if I do so. At the same time, I don't want excessive durability with unnecessary added weight. I do want them as light as possible.

Looking at this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-307-iems-compared-inear-stagediver-2-stagediver-3-added-12-23-13-p-829 so far I've came up with only:

1. Klipsch X10 ($110 @ ebay)
2. Westone 3 ($160 @ amazon)
3. VSonic GR07 Bass Edition ($130 @ lendmeurears)
4. Yamaha EPH-100SL ($140 @ amazon)

that matches my preferences. I prefer to stay under $150 unless there's something that's significantly better for the price.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #12,461 of 16,931
Hello oh almighty IEM guru Joker. For the third time I'm here to seek guidance with my next purchase.
I've had EPH-100 since august and I just LOVE them. Coming from FXT-90 which I didn't like even near as much, they are just exactly what I was looking for. However my addiction to music has lead me to yet another purchase. Now I'm going into the 200$+ zone and I am looking for recommendations.
Which IEM in your opinion would be the closest to an "upgraded yamahas"? I just love everything about them and I want all that but more. For music preferences, I'm mostly a metal and EDM type of listener. I'm willing to spend as much as 350$ on them, and I'm willing to go with custom monitors as well.
THANK YOU!!!!

EDIT: Looking at your OP, I'm reaaaally attracted to the Custom Art Music One. They have everything I want basically. How do they compare to the yamahas sound wise? Mostly interested in the bass since I just LOVE the bass on the EPH-100 and I'm pretty sure they trump the yams in every other aspect.

EDIT2: Ok so I just found out about the Custom Art Music Two arriving in january, they are supposedly an upgraded version to the Music Ones. The preorder price for them is cheaper than the official one so its, again, tempting as hell to just preorder them now and be done with it. Do you think there's a high chance I'll not like the sound of them at all? Or are the yamahas not THAT far off which would assure me a lot.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #12,462 of 16,931
If you're prioritizing comfort these are the sets that stand out to me in that price range, arranged (approximately) by bass boost amount from highest to lowest:  
RHA MA750 - The weight of the stainless steel housings is offset by the over-the-ear form factor, I've been consistently impressed with how comfortable these are despite their weight. Smooth sound with plenty of bass - no complaints there.
Klipsch X10 - Enhanced-bass earphones with good clarity. Can be worn cable-up or down. A real standout in comfort even if it doesn't sound as good as the MA750 or GR07.
GR07 BE - I've always found GR07s to be plenty comfortable. Has the most treble energy of the bunch here and good overall sound quality.
SteelSeries Flux - least expensive of the bunch. Has a punchy, warm sound and a slim, lightweight form factor
Phonak 012 - one of the most comfortable earphones I've tried. Over-the-ear fit and extremely lightweight. Very decent bass for a BA earphone.

Is the only reason you didn't mention the brainwavz b2 because of price? I found them on amazon for 129.95 (or so) and from reading your review in the first page, decided on those... I doubt I'll be disappointed, but if I am I guess I can always return and go for the GR07BE's ... thanks for your input though, much appreciated, I was just getting ancy and had to pull the trigger on something... it was almost the GR07BE's but when I saw the price on the B2's I couldn't resist...

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #12,463 of 16,931
Im so lost with IEM's right now. Im new to the scene and was just about trigger ready for the RE400's but complaints about build quality and a hollow sound for some has swayed me a bit. The GR07 MKII seem to be 'not bad' but not the best, still great which is actually a real compliment given peoples differing tastes but is there something simular in sound or better for upto £200 / $260 ?

I already have some Sennheiser HD-600's (with HD650 cable) but a recent foray into IEM's via some cheap Sony units has given me a new insight into how comfortable vs a large openback headphone they can be, i was listening in low-fi to my Sony's for hours with no head itch, heat or weight and i wont now go to full size again for hi-fi especially as the bass amount (not quality) is equal on these IEM's to a full size headphone ?!

What IEM's can Match the HD-600 / HD650 for sub £200 or get close ? 

I bow to your superior knowlage. I need light, comfortable and small hence the RE400's seemed perfect..

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #12,465 of 16,931
Thank you @|joker| ! That's very helpful.

Thanks joker.

beerchug.gif

@ljokerl
thanks, I'll get something with just a mic feature then, most likely philips she3575, btw is there any website you suggest me to buy it from? It's sold for $5  to $20 
confused_face(1).gif

also, those are the ones I can find in Walmart, best buy, future shop etc. should I get one of these or for instance philips she3575 is better than all of these? 

thank you.

Of those I’ve only tried the Skullcandy Smokin (best not mentioned on this forum) and the JVC FR201 (which are good if you like tons of bass but not as good as the SHE3575 overall). Probably doesn’t matter where you buy the Philips as long as you get warranty.

Joker,

I'd like your opinion on an IEM upgrade for me.  To give you an idea of the sound I'm looking for, here are some that I have and my impressions of them.

IEM comparison

TDK BA200 (stock comply tips).
VSonic GR07 MK2 (largest stock purple tips)
Monster Gratitude (Meelectronics double flanged tips)
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (Meelectronics double flanged tips)
Zero Audio Carbo Basso (Meelectronics double flanged tips)
HiFiman RE400 (Meelectronics double flanged tips)

Music preferences:  Rock and Pop.  

I would rank them as following:  Tenore > BA200 > Gratitude > GR07 MK2 > Basso > RE400.  Shocking, but you'll see why.

Treble:  Gratitude and GR07 MK2 sound the brightest, then Tenore, then Basso, then BA200.  I think the RE400 is equal to the Gratitude/GR07 MK2 or Tenore,  but don't recall exactly.  I found that the Gratitude was tuned too high (e.g. snare drums sound too bright).  BA200 treble is too smooth and not enough quantity.  Tenore is my favorite in this category because they aren't as smooth as BA200 and not as harsh as Gratitude/GR07 MK2.

Mids:   For vocals, the best are Tenore and BA200.  Female vocals sound like they are in the room singing to you and are so buttery; gives me chills.  I give a slight edge to Tenore because they sound more airy.  Gratitudes are clear but singer sounds farther away.

Bass:  My favorite in this category is the Gratitude.  In terms of quantity, Basso > Gratitude > Tenore > BA200=GR07 MK2 > RE400.  However, I found the Basso to have too much bass and not as good mids.  Gratitude has the best quality bass.  For my tastes, Gratitude and Tenore have the quantity that I desire.  Tenore bass hits hard enough and is punchy.  Bassos have too much and BA200, GR07 MK2, and RE400 have too little.

Detail:  GR07 MK2 and Gratitude have the most detail (and maybe RE400), then Tenore and Basso then BA200.

Efficiency:  GR07 MK2 is the most efficient, then Gratitude, BA200, Tenore/Basso.  Don't have the RE400 any longer to compare.

My favorite is the Tenore because they sound the most natural and true to life and they have the combination and quantity of bass/mid/treble that I desire.  Female vocals give me chills and have the most texture.  Next would be BA200 (smooth and great mids) and Gratitude (big and energetic).  Basso has too much bass and GR07 MK2 and RE400 had too little bass and sounded a little boring.

Improvements to my favorite 4 that I would love to find

Tenore: Would like slightly darker tuning (but not as dark as BA200), and bass quality of the Gratitude
BA200:  Would like more bass, more treble extension.
Gratitude:  Love the bass quantity and quality, detail, and treble extension.  Wish they were tuned darker so that they would sound more natural and true to life.  Snare drums too bright sounding.
GR07 MK2:  Would like more bass (maybe I'd like the Bass Edition?)

Any suggestions on what would fit the sound sig I'm looking for?  They need to have incredible vocals, have life-like tuning, quality bass and decent quantity bass, and detailed, but slightly smooth treble.

M200, MA750, S2, IM70?

I don’t think I can be of much help here – I’ve only heard half of the headphones you use in your comparisons and half of the ones you’re considering (S2 and MA750). The GR07 BE has somewhat more bass than the GR07 but not tons more. It’s not what I would really consider a fun-sounding headphone still. The same goes for the S2 – it’s more “accurate” than “fun”. The MA750 is definitely different – very smooth and fluid, with plenty of bass and warm tone. This one might work for you, I think, but I haven’t heard your Carbos. The RHA doesn't have a whole lot of treble but it doesn't seem to lack extension. Still haven't finished my listening with it, though.

Dear Joker,

I was wondering if you can help me decide on which IEM's to get, as an upgrade for my Klipsch S4i. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck IEM's with the following preferences (ranked in order of ones I most value to least):

1. Comfort - I have narrow ear canals and I want to wear these without knowing they're there, and if possible no ear fatigue for long listening periods. I also want them to be as light as possible.

2. Isolation - I will use these in subway commutes and long plane rides, I want to hear as less outside noise as possible.

3. Sound Quality - I listen mostly to electronic music and sometimes rock, and want to emphasize on having a good bass quality and quantity. Mids and treble are important but less so than bass. Good speed will be nice too. For these IEM's usage, I tend to focus less on neutrality and transparency.

4. Durability / Build Quality - I will do a lot of travel with these, and will likely yank out the headphone from my ears a few times. I don't want headphones that are so delicate that the cable will be disconnected from the earpiece if I do so. At the same time, I don't want excessive durability with unnecessary added weight. I do want them as light as possible.

Looking at this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-307-iems-compared-inear-stagediver-2-stagediver-3-added-12-23-13-p-829 so far I've came up with only:

1. Klipsch X10 ($110 @ ebay)
2. Westone 3 ($160 @ amazon)
3. VSonic GR07 Bass Edition ($130 @ lendmeurears)
4. Yamaha EPH-100SL ($140 @ amazon)

that matches my preferences. I prefer to stay under $150 unless there's something that's significantly better for the price.

I wouldn't recommend the EPH-100 or any other IEM with a nozzle-mounted microdriver if you have narrow ear canals. The X10 fits your requirements pretty well but it's not very durable in my experience. The GR07 has good but not great isolation. Out of those four it seems like the W3 would be your best bet.

I also think the RHA MA750 might work well for you. It's not very light but the weight is offset but the molded ear hook bits. Isolation is surprisingly good - better than with the GR07 IMO. Build quality is outstanding. Sound is very competent, at least on-par with the EPH-100.

Hello oh almighty IEM guru Joker. For the third time I'm here to seek guidance with my next purchase.
I've had EPH-100 since august and I just LOVE them. Coming from FXT-90 which I didn't like even near as much, they are just exactly what I was looking for. However my addiction to music has lead me to yet another purchase. Now I'm going into the 200$+ zone and I am looking for recommendations.
Which IEM in your opinion would be the closest to an "upgraded yamahas"? I just love everything about them and I want all that but more. For music preferences, I'm mostly a metal and EDM type of listener. I'm willing to spend as much as 350$ on them, and I'm willing to go with custom monitors as well.
THANK YOU!!!!

EDIT: Looking at your OP, I'm reaaaally attracted to the Custom Art Music One. They have everything I want basically. How do they compare to the yamahas sound wise? Mostly interested in the bass since I just LOVE the bass on the EPH-100 and I'm pretty sure they trump the yams in every other aspect.

EDIT2: Ok so I just found out about the Custom Art Music Two arriving in january, they are supposedly an upgraded version to the Music Ones. The preorder price for them is cheaper than the official one so its, again, tempting as hell to just preorder them now and be done with it. Do you think there's a high chance I'll not like the sound of them at all? Or are the yamahas not THAT far off which would assure me a lot.

The Music One is very different from the EPH-100 - much less bass slam and a lot more neutral-sounding. I don't think you will like it.

I'm not at all familiar with the Music Two. You might want to just ask Custom Art how much bass the Music Two has - they should have a pretty good idea of how it compares to the current model. If its anything like the Music One, it probably won't be for you. 

The 1964-V3 has the most bass out of all my customs and is the only sub-$600 that I think can compete with the Yamahas in bass quantity and slam but in terms of how the mids and treble are presented it's more reminiscent of the FXT90 than the EPH-100.

Is the only reason you didn't mention the brainwavz b2 because of price? I found them on amazon for 129.95 (or so) and from reading your review in the first page, decided on those... I doubt I'll be disappointed, but if I am I guess I can always return and go for the GR07BE's ... thanks for your input though, much appreciated, I was just getting ancy and had to pull the trigger on something... it was almost the GR07BE's but when I saw the price on the B2's I couldn't resist...

I didn't mention the B2 because it probably doesn’t have enough bass for you based on your post.

Im so lost with IEM's right now. Im new to the scene and was just about trigger ready for the RE400's but complaints about build quality and a hollow sound for some has swayed me a bit. The GR07 MKII seem to be 'not bad' but not the best, still great which is actually a real compliment given peoples differing tastes but is there something simular in sound or better for upto £200 / $260 ?

I already have some Sennheiser HD-600's (with HD650 cable) but a recent foray into IEM's via some cheap Sony units has given me a new insight into how comfortable vs a large openback headphone they can be, i was listening in low-fi to my Sony's for hours with no head itch, heat or weight and i wont now go to full size again for hi-fi especially as the bass amount (not quality) is equal on these IEM's to a full size headphone ?!

What IEM's can Match the HD-600 / HD650 for sub £200 or get close ? 

I bow to your superior knowlage. I need light, comfortable and small hence the RE400's seemed perfect..

I’d go with your gut and get the RE-400, or the BA200 from TDK for something a touch warmer (i.e. more HD650 than HD600). The GR07 does not remind me of the HD600/HD650, more the DT770 or DT880. 

These won't have the slam of the big Sennheiser cans because they just can't move as much air. If that's important to you then you'll want a more bass-heavy IEM to compensate. However, if you can live with less tactile bass, the RE-400 or BA200 are pretty damn nice and very close to the Sennheisers in detail and overall refinement considering their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back