Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #9,721 of 16,931
Quote:
Hmm interesting!

From what I've read the yamahas tend to be a bit finnicky in fit.  As I use them at work I need to keep it fairly simple!  With regards to the westone 3 recommmendation I did indeed have one and enjoyed it immensely.  Right up until the point they went in the wash!  Sadly it did nothing for the treble but the bass went on them, hence why I picked the x10 as a cheapish replacement (amazon offer+voucher anyway).  Nice to see I was on the right track (backwards!).

Cheers

Did you keep your W3s?  If you did, I would recommend sending them in to be recabled by Westone.  I had my UM3Xs sent through the wash a couple times due to my carelessness and my wife's unwillingness to care about my carelessness 
size]
.  As you said, the treble was fine, but the bass would rattle above anything more than a whisper.  I emailed Westone, and they said to send them in.  They took a look at them and recabled them for 40 bucks, and they are perfect again.  I am also very glad because they gave me a newer, smaller plug that is much easier to deal with than the original I had.  I would say it is at least worth looking into for such a nice and costly IEM.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #9,723 of 16,931
Quote:

so the SQ  is on par with VC02? with  different soundsig? ( gr02 silver is  warmer and thicker  than VC02 which is more natural and analytical)

how about gr02 bass edition. ? is gr02silver complete upgrade from gr02 bass edition?

I don't think it's quite on par with the VC02. It's really a different (less v-shaped) flavor of the GR02BE but I haven't compared them head to head yet to be able to say it's better. The signature is quite pleasant taken on its own, with no real harshness and no overwhelming bass.

Quote:
Hmm interesting!

From what I've read the yamahas tend to be a bit finnicky in fit.  As I use them at work I need to keep it fairly simple!  With regards to the westone 3 recommmendation I did indeed have one and enjoyed it immensely.  Right up until the point they went in the wash!  Sadly it did nothing for the treble but the bass went on them, hence why I picked the x10 as a cheapish replacement (amazon offer+voucher anyway).  Nice to see I was on the right track (backwards!).

Cheers

I thought the Yamahas were pretty straightforward and those weird tips were comfier than I expected. Had more trouble finding a well-fitting tip for the Monster Trumpets, which come with at least a dozen different pairs.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #9,724 of 16,931
Quote:

Yeah, same here. 

They don't really have anything in common. The RE-400 is mostly neutral with a slight mid-bass hump. The V3 is quite a lot bassier and has an overall livelier, more colored signature. It places the mids farther forward and has a little more energy in the lower treble. The RE-400 is smoother and a little more dull-sounding up top. 

You realize that you've just described the V3 as bassier, more middy and more trebly than the RE-400 all at the same time?
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #9,726 of 16,931
Quote:

You realize that you've just described the V3 as bassier, more middy and more trebly than the RE-400 all at the same time?
tongue.gif

I realized that's the way it reads when I was typing it, but I promise I haven't lost it. The V3 is more aggressive/forward in general than the rather laid-back RE-400, but this is most noticeable in the midrange. It also has a larger bass boost than the mild one of the RE-400 (which is the case with many other IEMs as the RE-400 is pretty flat). Lastly, it has more treble energy and is a little more peaky overall. The RE-400's treble is quite smoothed-over so this is also going to be true for many IEMs, including the Ety ER-4S and the old RE-ZERO. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #9,727 of 16,931
This would be so much more understandable with FR charts in hand... even just the by-ear makeshift charts I make listening to Sinegen :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 13, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #9,728 of 16,931
Quote:
This would be so much more understandable with FR charts in hand... even just the by-ear makeshift charts I make listening to Sinegen
wink.gif

Really can't afford to put in the time on that - it would take a while to get it right and do so consistently. Sadly the InnerFidelity testing rig can't measure customs
redface.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #9,729 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker , 
May i ask if you would suggest the Astrotec AM-90 or the VSonic VC02?  

[size=1.7em] (GR02 Bass)? Keep seeing this popping up in this thrread[/size]

I've ruled out Dunu trident because it seems weaker compared to this two. 
I prefer the Astrotec's design but if the VSonic is much better design doesnt really matter?
My previous earpiece were the CX880 and those had really bad cable noise. . 

Hmm just back read and found this. But i am quite afraid that i would be irritated with the detachable driver?
Read in the appreciation thread that it is very loose , and comes off from the cable when removing them from the ear. 

Also may i ask what is cable cinch? And has anybody bought the VC02 from the ebay seller bigbargainseller?

Hi, received the VC02 at this very moment from bigbargainonline seller. Received within 10  days from HK to Hungary . Also bought Astrotec AM90 from the same seller. Everything was ok

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #9,730 of 16,931
Quote:
Fair enough, I wouldn't of thought it would have been the cables though.

Cheers

Me neither, but that was the best cast scenario as it was only 40 dollars to fix a near $400 IEM rather than finding out they were toasted.  I'm glad I had them checked out, and I am still using them every day.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #9,731 of 16,931
Right now I'm trying to decide between Visang Ro2, Brainwavz M1, and Vsonic vco2

What I am most interested in is bass. Vsonic VCO2 gets great review but I worry there isn't enough bass.

I'm not a basshead-MEELECTRONICs M9 has much more bass than I like. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #9,732 of 16,931
Quote:
Right now I'm trying to decide between Visang Ro2, Brainwavz M1, and Vsonic vco2

What I am most interested in is bass. Vsonic VCO2 gets great review but I worry there isn't enough bass.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!

you'll only get disappointed with vc02's and m1 if you're a basshead, R02 is a bassheavy one but I suggest you get something like hisound popo bass light (doesn't mean its basslight the bass heavy version is just tooooo bass heavy) | sony mh1c | gr02 bass ed :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #9,733 of 16,931
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!

With the M9 as your only reference it's pretty hard to gauge just how much low end you need. The M9 is quite bassy, though it doesn't have as big a mid-bass hump as many of the other entry-level bass monster. It does have tons of sub-bass, though.

The VC02 bass is tight and punchy and I think would be just enough for most listeners, but to be on the safe side you might want to settle for the GR02 Bass Edition instead as papijoe08 stated. That said, bass-heavy sets like the M9 have a tendency to skew what a "normal" amount of bass sounds like so for all we know you may love the VC02 after you get used to it. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #9,734 of 16,931
It probably depends on how open you are to appreciating and enjoying a new kind of sound... Some people have very specific and absolute preferences, others are more flexible.

I went from MEElec M9/M6s to Ety hf3s and frankly it didn't take me long at all to get used to it... I can still enjoy the MEElec's for what they are, actually bought the M6 for running after I already had the hf3, since I had given the M9 away.

That rumble gets the blood pumping when I'm a few miles into a run... But I rather enjoy the detail and isolation I get from the Ety's when I'm out and about. I guess I'm just not terribly hard to please... :p

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #9,735 of 16,931
Added the HiFiMan RE-400

Quote:
(2C54) HiFiMan RE-400 Waterline

Added Mar 2013

Details: Newest entry-level earphone from one of the pioneers of accurate dynamic-driver earphones
Current Price: $99 from head-direct.com (MSRP: $99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 102 dB | Freq: 15-22k Hz | Cable: 3.9' 45º-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: stock bi-flange
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (2.5/5) - Single-flange (2 sizes), short bi-flange, and long bi-flange silicone tips; cable winder
Build Quality (4.5/5) – Construction is in line with what we’ve seen from HiFiMan as of late – solid housings, long strain reliefs, and thicker cables. The top part of the cord is similar to the RE262/RE272 while the bottom part is nylon-sheathed. HiFiMan’s standard 45º-plug completes the picture. The RE-400 is single-ended – there is no option of running it balanced and no adapters are necessary to use it with standard 3.5mm jacks
Isolation (4/5) – Quite good for a dynamic-driver unit. The small housings and thick stock tips allow for a deep seal with even better isolation.
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Bothersome when worn cable-down; fine otherwise
Comfort (4.5/5) – The housings of the RE-400 are the smallest of all the HiFiMan earphones I’ve seen to date. The shape seems to favor a deeper seal, which shouldn’t be an issue for all but those with the smallest ear canals. Cable-up wear is easy though the cable slider is a little loose on the cable.

Sound (8.9/10) – The RE-400 takes the place of the RE-ZERO in HiFiMan’s new, more streamlined lineup. For the most part it stays true to what we’ve come to expect from the RE-series earphones--its tone is mostly neutral and the sound is about as clean and transparent as it gets. The RE-400 seems to be endowed with a slightly more robust low end compared to the old RE-ZERO--there is a slight mid-bass lift audible with the newer model. This gives its bass a little more weight and depth and tilts the overall tone slightly in the “warm” direction compared to the RE-ZERO, RE272, and Etymotic ER-4S. This is not necessarily good or bad—those who want a ruler-flat bass will likely still prefer the 272, but it will allow the RE-400 to cater to a wider audience, which is a definitely plus in my book.

I would still classify the RE-400 as a neutral earphone with just a hint of warmth. The midrange is clear and well-positioned, neither recessed nor forward in the presentation. Detail resolution is excellent and the overall sound is very transparent. The top end, similarly, is present but not overbearing. As with the other HiFiMan earphones, it is delicate and refined. For an accuracy-oriented earphone the RE-400 is rather smooth and forgiving – it is a little more tolerant of sibilance than, for example, the Etymotic ER-4S. Treble extension is quite good, which tends to be the case with HiFiMan sets – certainly on-par with other high-end dynamics such as the VSonic GR07 and Sony EX1000.

The presentation of the RE-400 is versatile and uncongested. Separation lags a hair behind the ER-4S and RE272, which seem to benefit from the lack of a mid-bass lift, but really isn’t far behind these (far pricier) flagships. The overall sense of space easily beats out similarly-priced sets such as the MEElec A161P and Ultimate Ears 600, and even offers slightly better depth than the older RE-ZERO. Like the rest of the RE-400’s sound, the presentation is very, very difficult to fault.

Value (10/10) – The latest iteration of the balanced-and-accurate dynamic-driver earphone from HiFiMan, the RE-400 offers an audible tuning change from the old RE0 and RE-ZERO models. It produces slightly weightier bass, a more well-rounded presentation, and smooth, forgiving treble while still offering accuracy on a level very rarely found at or near its price point.

Additional improvements over the previous-gen RE-ZERO include a more robust construction and better noise isolation, mostly due to the more compact, deep-sealing form factor. The RE-400 also boasts much nicer packaging, though there is still a disappointing dearth of accessories. The no-frills approach is fine by me - the RE-400, like its predecessors, is a listener's IEM. All in all, adding a hint of warmth to an otherwise neutral sound should let RE-400 appeal to the casual listener better than the models it replaces while holding very close to the HiFiMan sound many—myself included—have come to love. 

Pros: Very smooth & balanced sound; small & comfortable;
Cons: No carrying case included, cable noise can be bothersome in cable-down configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back