Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #7,637 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

intersting! looks like less midbass and more up-mid? is that w/o EQing?

That graph is derived from my EQ to make both of these phones conform to my reference frequency response, by testing with sine tones by ear, as detailed here (or will be, when enough interest shows up for me to finish writing the guide)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

I then invert the graphs to show their deviation from my reference frequency response, so yes, as far as I can tell these would be the differences between the phones with no EQ applied.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #7,638 of 16,931
Quote:
I updated the scores but haven't updated the text yet. RE262 is quite high up the list now. 

Thanks, just seen the score! Now waiting patiently for the text update... 
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #7,639 of 16,931
hi joker.
you are checked speaker polarity before review?.
i'm still see issue out of phase(wrong speaker polarity) problem in some non major brand earphone.
Stereo Polarity (Phase) Sound Test http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #7,641 of 16,931
I have been reading this roundup of all headphones - Excellent work BTW amazing resource for choosing some new headphones....

I have a question which is not really mentioned in the roundup... Maybe you could answer this -

Which headphones in the £100-£200 bracket have the absolute best bass - I would like a lot of quantity but also excellent quality bass, textured etc. with good sub bass....

The other requirements are non-bright treble with minimal sibilance and also good soundstage....

Please tell me which are the best options - So far the two which seem good would be the GR07 and the Sennheiser IE80 although the IE80 are a tad expensive. Currently I own the Shure SE215 and I am looking for an upgrade.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #7,642 of 16,931
I have a question for all Cowon J3 users -- how well does the EQ work on IEM's?

Obviously, I have used the EQ myself, but never with more analytical sounding earphones. So I'm wondering if turning up the bass for example on a thin base sounding IEM will sound natural or will it sound somewhat artificial?

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #7,643 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks joker for directing me to RE272s. These are now my new favourites! Definitely keepers for me!

Good to hear 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
hi joker.
you are checked speaker polarity before review?.
i'm still see issue out of phase(wrong speaker polarity) problem in some non major brand earphone.
Stereo Polarity (Phase) Sound Test http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Good illustrations. In my experience it's pretty noticeable form the soundstage presentation.

Quote:
LOL. Old UEs. Nice to have the perspective. You know, I actually preferred the old sf3 to the sf5s back in the day just because it did the mids better and just convinced me more even though they more limited.

The SF5Pro's signature doesn't really sit well with me... a mild v-shape doesn't work too well without good treble extension IMO. The SF5EB works better just because it makes no pretensions to accuracy. The SF3 did have very nice mids.

Quote:
I have been reading this roundup of all headphones - Excellent work BTW amazing resource for choosing some new headphones....

I have a question which is not really mentioned in the roundup... Maybe you could answer this -

Which headphones in the £100-£200 bracket have the absolute best bass - I would like a lot of quantity but also excellent quality bass, textured etc. with good sub bass....

The other requirements are non-bright treble with minimal sibilance and also good soundstage....

Please tell me which are the best options - So far the two which seem good would be the GR07 and the Sennheiser IE80 although the IE80 are a tad expensive. Currently I own the Shure SE215 and I am looking for an upgrade.

I don't think the GR07 is what you're looking for. The IE8 (haven't heard the IE80) would be much closer to what you want IMO. The Yamaha EPH-100 would be worth considering as well - it's better match than the VSonics for your requirements. A slightly less popular choice to consider would maybe be the Radius DDM (HP-TWF11) if you can find one for sale.

Quote:
I have a question for all Cowon J3 users -- how well does the EQ work on IEM's?

Obviously, I have used the EQ myself, but never with more analytical sounding earphones. So I'm wondering if turning up the bass for example on a thin base sounding IEM will sound natural or will it sound somewhat artificial?

The short answer is that it depends on the IEM. In general the J3 EQs pretty well if you put in the time with the customization. There was a lot of discussion on this in the long J3 thread in the portable source forum. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #7,645 of 16,931
Jul 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #7,646 of 16,931
I'm looking for something with a sound signature almost opposite of my Etymotic ER4B. I like my Etys for classical music and analytical listening at home, but they just aren't a very fun iem that I can wear to the gym or out and about. I'm considering the Sennheiser IE8, but I wanted to see what your recommendation might be. I'd like them to pack a good amount of bass for hip-hop and upbeat electronic music genres. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: I don't even know why I ask questions haha. Did some super power searching through these forums over the past few hours and decided on the VSonic GR07 MK2. Now my eyes hurt from reading so much and it's time for bed. They arrive tomorrow, can't hardly wait!

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #7,647 of 16,931
Thanks Joker, I've finally decided on getting the RE262. You mentioned that it is very power hungry and really benefits from an amp, even when using a Cowon J3 Is a Fiio E5 sufficient to drive it well, or should I invest in something better? 

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #7,648 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks Joker, I've finally decided on getting the RE262. You mentioned that it is very power hungry and really benefits from an amp, even when using a Cowon J3 Is a Fiio E5 sufficient to drive it well, or should I invest in something better? 

Joker mentioned somewhere that his J3 is sufficient enough to drive the RE262, though I forgot where, so I can't quote his post.
He also mentioned that Fiio E5 is more of a toy bass boost rather than an amplifier.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #7,649 of 16,931
Quote:
That review is quite old but at $75 the Turbine is still a decent buy. Lots more competition now - you can get something just as good without waiting for a $100 discount on the Turbines - the Beyerdynamic DTX 101, for example, or Fischer Audio Consonance. You can even save a chunk of change by going with the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition instead.

I ended up getting the Turbines before even seeing this post. Im currently waiting to recieve them, after looking at the DTX101s and Consonance's, I could have saved between $10-20. After looking at your reviews, I feel like I made the best buy in my situation. (I didn't include this in my Original Post asking for advice) As a highschooler (my highschool of 3000, with mainly glass hallways that echo) who is trying to get a great performance-per-dollar ratio on headphones, while having them be stylish and have good isolation, whilst matching my preferred sound signature in the ~$75 range, I feel as if the Monster Turbines hit my needs right on the money. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #7,650 of 16,931
Quote:
I'm looking for something with a sound signature almost opposite of my Etymotic ER4B. I like my Etys for classical music and analytical listening at home, but they just aren't a very fun iem that I can wear to the gym or out and about. I'm considering the Sennheiser IE8, but I wanted to see what your recommendation might be. I'd like them to pack a good amount of bass for hip-hop and upbeat electronic music genres. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: I don't even know why I ask questions haha. Did some super power searching through these forums over the past few hours and decided on the VSonic GR07 MK2. Now my eyes hurt from reading so much and it's time for bed. They arrive tomorrow, can't hardly wait!

Congrats on the GR07s! They are nothing like the IE8 but should work better than the ER4B for what you want 
wink.gif

Quote:

It's actually drivable with the J3 - I don't think the E5 would help much. The E6 is supposedly better but I haven't tried it.

Quote:
Joker mentioned somewhere that his J3 is sufficient enough to drive the RE262 beautifully, though I forgot where, so I can't quote his post.
He also mentioned that Fiio E5 is more of a toy bass boost rather than an amplifier.

I doubt I said 'beautifully' but the J3/RE262 pairing is reasonably good. It does sound better from one of my external DAC/amp units, though. 

Quote:

I ended up getting the Turbines before even seeing this post. Im currently waiting to recieve them, after looking at the DTX101s and Consonance's, I could have saved between $10-20. After looking at your reviews, I feel like I made the best buy in my situation. (I didn't include this in my Original Post asking for advice) As a highschooler (my highschool of 3000, with mainly glass hallways that echo) who is trying to get a great performance-per-dollar ratio on headphones, while having them be stylish and have good isolation, whilst matching my preferred sound signature in the ~$75 range, I feel as if the Monster Turbines hit my needs right on the money. 

The best buy is the one you'll be happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back