Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #7,621 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker could you or did you do a review on the AudioTechnica ATH-CKS77?  Thanks!  I just purchased the vPulse because I'm looking for a sub for some speakers and I stumble on the vPulse.  I just purchased it and now the ATH-CKS77 to see which one I'd like more.  But I was wondering if you did a review on the ATH-CKS77.

Thanks!

I have not heard the CKS77. 

Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for an advice.
I prefer music like John Legend, Coldplay, David Guetta, Jamiroquai. So I look into good bass (and I want my ears are isolated from the rest) but at the same time with good medium and high, before I had sennheiser cx 300 II, but some experts told me that GR02 vsonic is much better than sennheiser I used and that are perfect for my requirments. What about your opinion?
I was considering some inears available in europe (vsonic are from singapore it will take long time) so with a fast shipment and with the same price of vsonic 30 euro more or less, any advice?
I listen music with iphone 4.
Thank you.

Sure, the GR02 Bass Edition would be an upgrade over the the CX300 (haven't heard the CX300-II).

Not sure what's available locally in Europe. Frogbeats in the UK carries some eastern brands - Dunu and Fischer, for example. In your price range the Dunu Trident is nice. So are the Soundmagic E10 and Philips SHE3580.

Quote:

Thanks for the response!  Are there any other earphones you'd suggest for me to listen to, given my preferences?

Less bass than the SM3 and smooth treble? Westone 4, Shure SE535, HiFiMan RE262 all fit IMO.

Quote:
Hey, sorry to be a bother if other people already asked this/you already answered it --
Out of pure curiosity are you planning on reviewing the JVC FXD80 and/or the Audio Technica CKM500s? They're both relatively new and similarly priced IEMs and people are going bonkers about how they "sound way above their price range" (about $80 each). I have the CKM500s myself, but very little experience with IEMs, so I don't know if the claims are true, and I would love to see how your review compares them against the hundreds of other IEMs you've reviewed!

I might get a go at the CKM500 in the future. No plans for the FXD80 at this time. 

Quote:
Hi Joker,

I bought a GR06 based on your reviews and it's awesome, and I discovered that I like bright sound / forward mids 
What upgrade do you recommend for an "In-your-face" sound, with up-front vocals ?
Do you think the Brainwavz B2 can sound "forwarded" at the vocals while show a lot of details ?

The B2 is pretty aggressive and very detailed but it might be a bit on the bright side compared to the GR06. The JVC FXT90 comes to mind as a warmer option with plentiful bass and forward mids/treble. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #7,623 of 16,931
Quote:
hi, which one(s) would be a good upgrade over the SHE3680 , keeping the comfort factor ? thanks!

I've only heard the SHE3580, sorry

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #7,625 of 16,931
Added two legacy reviews - UE Super.Fi 5 Pro and Super.Fi 5 EB. Figured there's no point in holding on to these. 

Quote:
(2A27) Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro

Added Jul 2012

Details: Discontinued dual-BA model from UE's pre-Logitech lineup
Current Price: $200 from amazon.com (MSRP: $249.95)
Specs: Driver: Dual BA | Imp: 21Ω | Sens: 119 dB | Freq: 20-16k Hz | Cable: 4' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Sony Hybrid
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (5/5) -Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), Comply foam tips (2 sets), cleaning tool, inline volume attenuator, and crushproof metal carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) - The build of the SF5Pro is very similar to those of the lower-end SF3 and flagship TF10. The large housings are made out of thick plastics and the cable is detachable. The newer version comes with a softer plastic cable similar to the one now used by the TF10. Unfortunately the newer cable is terminated with the same wimpy 3.5mm I-plug as all other UE models. The older (clear) SF5Pro cable has more memory but feels much sturdier
Isolation (4/5) - Quite good with well-fitting tips
Microphonics (4.5/5) - Low due to over-the-ear fit but not absent completely. A bit poorer with the older (clear) cable
Comfort (3.5/5) - The shells are similar in shape to those of the TF10 but slimmer towards the front and a bit more easy-going in terms of fit. Maintaining a seal can be difficult with stock UE tips. Included Comply foams seal well

Sound (8.2/10) - The SuperFi 5 Pro is a two-way dual-BA setup slotted next to the bass-monster SuperFi 5 EB and below the TripleFi 10 in the original Ultimate Ears lineup. Now-discontinued but still available from several online retailers, the SF5Pro still performs very well next to its replacement, the SuperFi5. The subbass, for one, is stronger than that of the new SF5. It is still not as tight as that of the UE700 or TripleFi 10 but accuracy is very good on the whole. The low end is a bit soft in character for an armature-based earphone but impact is ahead of all of the other SuperFi models with the exception of the SF5EB.

The midrange derives a bit of warmth from the slight bass emphasis but for the most part it is smooth and competent. There is a slight drop in clarity compared to the new SF5, putting the SF5Pro on level with the SF4 and cheaper dual-armature setups such as the Klipsch Custom 2 and Apple In-ears. The midrange of the SF5Pro is more forward on the whole compared to the UE700 and TripleFi 10 but there is a dip towards the top of the midrange, which makes the earphones less than ideal for female vocals but gives them a softer, sibilance-free character.

The treble of the SF5Pro loses out to the brighter and crisper UE700 and TF10 in clarity and definition. The detail level is lower as well - something made extremely obvious in a head-to-head comparison with the TF10. The smooth treble presentation is quite easy-going on the whole and the SF5Pro has better extension than UE's single armature models but there is a slight lack of air to the presentation and a darker overall tone. Aside from the lack of air, the sense of space is quite good - the width and depth of the soundstage are both just a hair behind those of the TF10 and the positioning and layering are quite decent. Interestingly, the SF5Pro does improve slightly with the Westone ES cable, which gives up a bit of bass for a cleaner midrange and better treble definition - things the SF5Pro needs to run alongside its modern competition. Unfortunately, the ES cable just adds to the SF5Pro's already-steep price tag and requires a bit of modification to even fit the socket and the isolation is quite high.

Value (6.5/10) - The now-defunct SuperFi 5 Pro still puts up a good fight against the newer Ultimate Ears offerings, including its namesake replacement, not only in sound quality but also in fit and finish. Unfortunately, it is let down by its high price point - the new old-stock sets currently available cost about as much as a TripleFi 10, which offers better detail, more transparency, tighter bass, and crisper, livelier treble. Simply put, the SF5Pro would have to be sold at a very large discount to be worth buying today.

Pros: Nice carrying case, good isolation, smooth and competent sound
Cons: Potential fitting issues, TF10 can often be found for less

(2A28) Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB

Added Jul 2012

Details: Discontinued dynamic/BA hybrid from UE's pre-Logitech lineup
Current Price: $200 from amazon.com (MSRP: $199.99)
Specs: Driver: BA+dynamic | Imp: 11Ω | Sens: 119 dB | Freq: 20-16k Hz | Cable: 4' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Generic single-flange
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (5/5) -Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), Comply foam tips (2 sets), cleaning tool, inline volume attenuator, 1/4" adapter, and crushproof metal carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) - Though the shape of SF5EB is more reminiscent of custom in-ears than any universal I've ever tried, overall build quality is still very similar to those of the SF5Pro and TF10. The large housings are made out of thick plastics and the cable is detachable. The cable suffers from some memory character but is flexible and sturdy on the whole
Isolation (3.5/5) - Slightly lower than that of the other UE models from the time period due to the odd housing shape and ambient vent
Microphonics (4.5/5) - Low due to over-the-ear fit but not absent completely. A bit poorer with the older (clear) cable
Comfort (3.5/5) - The housings of the SF5EB differ in shape from the ones used by the other UE earphones and are the largest shells I've seen on a universal. They aren't meant to be inserted deeply and as a result never look like they are fitted quite right but the fit bothers me less than that of the TF10

Sound (8/10) - The unique housings of the SuperFi 5 EB conceal an equally unique transducer setup - the SF5EB was, to my knowledge, the first universal BA/dynamic hybrid to be released, combining a balanced armature, a 13.5mm dynamic driver, and a two-way passive crossover in a single enclosure. The dynamic driver is responsible for the bass of the SF5EB while the armature handles mids and highs. On paper, this is a dream come true for those familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of both transducer types, but there are one or two issues aside from the resulting housing size.

As indicated by the 'Extended Bass' moniker, the SF5EB was tuned to appeal to those who find the bass response of UE's other higher-end models, which are all armature-based, less than satisfactory. The huge 13.5mm dynamic transducer of the SF5EB is optimized for low end response and throws out gobs of dynamic bass when prodded. Even the Fischer Audio Eterna cannot quite keep up with the sheer impact of the SF5EB. The bass is rarely muddy or bloated but it's not tight or accurate either - about what one would expect from a relatively pricy basshead earphone. Bass detail and texture are swallowed up by the impact on occasion and therefore appear to be diminished compared to the Eterna and FS Atrios but on the whole the quality of the EB's bass is rather good.

The overall response of the SF5EB is slightly v-shaped, with a dip in the lower midrange and slightly hyped-up lower treble. Expectedly, the SF5EB does a very good job of separating the bass from the mids - sometimes too good, in fact, making the low end seem poorly integrated on certain tracks. It ends up sounding like a mid-range armature-based earphone with a subwoofer tacked on for good measure. The bass can obscure the lower mids and the midrange is not as transparent or detailed as that of the TF10 but for such a bass-heavy set the clarity is impressive.

There is a bit of emphasis towards on the upper mids but nothing that would cause the SF5EB to be notably harsh or sibilant. The treble is not particularly heavy on sparkle but provides a very energetic sound in conjunction with the big bass. Extension is not stellar but good for a bass-centric earphone. The sense of space is quite good as well - the width and depth of the soundstage are similar to the SF5Pro and the positioning and layering are good. One thing worth noting is that the SF5EB is very efficient and sometimes hiss-prone. The dynamic driver also likes a touch of extra juice to tighten up while the mids and treble don't seem to benefit much from amplification.

Value (7/10) - Plain and simple, the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 EB is a basshead's dream come true. It offers tons of powerful, full-bodied, dynamic bass overlaying a competent midrange and treble presentation - an effect afforded mostly by the unique internal workings of the earphone. It's difficult to judge the technical merit of something like the SF5EB since accuracy was obviously not a priority in its tuning but the earphone does accomplish what it set out to do, delivering an uncompromisingly powerful low end. The aesthetics and ergonomics of the EB definitely won't be to everyone's liking and the isolation is a step below that offered by the other high-end UE IEMs but as a total package the EB is a good earphone for the bass-obsessed and a reasonable 'guilty pleasure' for the rest of us.

Pros: Nice carrying case, huge bass, surprisingly clear mid-range and treble
Cons: Housing size and fit

Quote:
from what i know they should be the same. its just the 3680 is what i have

In that case, it really depends on what you'd like improved and what you're willing to spend. The JVC FX700 is a logical top-tier to pick if you like the Philips. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #7,628 of 16,931
ljokerl, any news on the RE262 update? 
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #7,629 of 16,931
Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly on my first question. To expand on that point - I use etymotic er4p's when mixing tracks on the go, and I love them, but their sound signature is just too analytical for casual listening. I have already used the brainwavz b2's and hifiman re262's and liked both, but I felt that the brainwavz would not be durable enough for daily use, and although i did like the sound of the 262's, it didn't really suit the music I listen to. Therefore I am looking for a pair of iems for £100 or less which will give similar clarity to these headphones, but with a more "market friendly" sound signature. I have looked at the vsonic gr07's and gr01's, and they both look fairly promising, as do the rockit sounds r 50's. Also, if there is any particularly good mp3 players out there, I am looking for a new one for £200 or less to replace my sansa fuze, which i think needs upgrading. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #7,630 of 16,931
Quote:
Added two legacy reviews - UE Super.Fi 5 Pro and Super.Fi 5 EB. Figured there's no point in holding on to these. 

Quote:
from what i know they should be the same. its just the 3680 is what i have

In that case, it really depends on what you'd like improved and what you're willing to spend. The JVC FX700 is a logical top-tier to pick if you like the Philips. 

the jvc are out of my range, and the half-ear design doesnt work for me. the philips fit me perfectly great (small and a bit ergonomic), and with sony hybrids and isolation is pretty decent
i'd like to keep the fun factor with more clarity , less muddy or muffled  sound. if uper vocals are less reccesed is a plus but not a must
preferably under $100, but can get up to $150

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #7,632 of 16,931
Although it's been awhile since I've bought earphones, I still check this page daily for updates.  It's nice to see that my GR06 are still the value-kings.  I'm extremely happy with them, they sound great and are built like a tank.  The wire in particular is awesome.  It is nice and thick and soft.  I also have to say that these babies have been through 2 washing machines (oops!) and still work without a hitch.

Thanks for the time and effort you put in this.

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #7,633 of 16,931
Quote:
the jvc are out of my range, and the half-ear design doesnt work for me. the philips fit me perfectly great (small and a bit ergonomic), and with sony hybrids and isolation is pretty decent
i'd like to keep the fun factor with more clarity , less muddy or muffled  sound. if uper vocals are less reccesed is a plus but not a must

You might want to try the 3580 as well.  They are not the same as the 3680 in my listening.

Red: SHE3580, Black: SHE3680.  The 3580 has a high mids peak near 3000Hz that the 3680 doesn't have.  That may or may not be what you're looking for, depending on what your definition of 'upper vocals' is.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #7,635 of 16,931
Quote:
Does the DTX 101 have good isolation because i will be using them when running and in public places

There are scores for isolation, etc. given to each earphone on the front page of this thread. The DTX101iE isolates quite well.

Quote:
ljokerl, any news on the RE262 update? 
wink.gif

I updated the scores but haven't updated the text yet. RE262 is quite high up the list now. 

Quote:
Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly on my first question. To expand on that point - I use etymotic er4p's when mixing tracks on the go, and I love them, but their sound signature is just too analytical for casual listening. I have already used the brainwavz b2's and hifiman re262's and liked both, but I felt that the brainwavz would not be durable enough for daily use, and although i did like the sound of the 262's, it didn't really suit the music I listen to. Therefore I am looking for a pair of iems for £100 or less which will give similar clarity to these headphones, but with a more "market friendly" sound signature. I have looked at the vsonic gr07's and gr01's, and they both look fairly promising, as do the rockit sounds r 50's. Also, if there is any particularly good mp3 players out there, I am looking for a new one for £200 or less to replace my sansa fuze, which i think needs upgrading. 

The GR07 only isolates about as much as an RE262 but it seems like a good match for what you want - a less analytical, yet accurate sound. 

Quote:

I'm not aware of anything that fits those requirements and is as small as the Philips - the JVC FXT90, Yamaha EPH-100, etc. are all arguably less ergonomic in this way or that.

Quote:
great reviews man !
keep going
i can't wait for you to review the ue700, i wanna compare what i have with other IEMs and decide if i should upgrade or not :)

Thanks! The UE700 will rank near the other lower-end TWFK-based earphones, most likely right between the Phiaton PS200 and JAYS q-JAYS.

Quote:
Although it's been awhile since I've bought earphones, I still check this page daily for updates.  It's nice to see that my GR06 are still the value-kings.  I'm extremely happy with them, they sound great and are built like a tank.  The wire in particular is awesome.  It is nice and thick and soft.  I also have to say that these babies have been through 2 washing machines (oops!) and still work without a hitch.

Thanks for the time and effort you put in this.

Thanks! With some of the softer MEElec earguides my GR06 (and GR07) are some of my favorite casual listening phones for when comfort is a priority. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back