Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #7,516 of 16,931
Quote:
You confused me there, using the term "driver".

ljoker's reviews state "nozzle size".  EPH-100 nozzle size: 5.5mm, CC51 nozzle size: 6mm

Yes the "nozzle size" is a direct measure of the outermost diameter of the housing going in the ear canal.

Thanks Joe, perhaps I'm confusing myself most of all!  Here is an excerpt of the CC51 review that led me this route - note two bolded passages, in hindsight maybe in conflict:

Quote:
Nozzle Size: 6mm | Preferred tips: Stock single flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes) and bi-flange silicone tips, shirt clip, and hard clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The CC51 uses ceramic housings – a first for an earphone readily available in the US (Nakamichi’s ceramics have been available overseas for quite some time). Slightly resembling those of Apple’s dual-driver monitors, the shells of the CC51 are slim and ergonomic. The 6mm driver sits right in the nozzle (as with the JVC and Hippo microdriver earphones)

*snip*

I guess I walked away from the second passage thinking the nozzle must be something larger than 6mm... I was unsure of whether 6mm listed at the top is a nominal driver size or a direct measurement of the nozzle... but with your clarification as a direct measurement I might try finding a 5.5mm object, forcing a small tip around it, and seeing if that hurts.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #7,517 of 16,931
After trying the RE-ZERO, A161 and EPH-100 and returning them all I decided to take a break from my IEM search.  A friend of mine bought the skull candy Titans and just for kicks I asked to listen to them (after they had been broken in).  I wasn't expecting much but it was interesting to find that the overall sonic balance was closer to what want than the above mentioned 3.  Bass levels could be a tad less and the treble is quite harsh but whatever the peaks and values or overall shape of this set, it is more what I'm after.  I won't get them as the treble would kill me over time.  If it had the treble of the RE-ZERO with the quality (not quantity of bass from the EPH-100.....that would be something special I think.  Guess I will keep looking.  May try the Rockit R-50's based on what I've read around the forum.  May still try the RE-262.  Not sure what else I'll try yet.  As my wife says, it would sure be easier if I wasn't so picky.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #7,518 of 16,931
Quote:

I guess I walked away from the second passage thinking the nozzle must be something larger than 6mm... I was unsure of whether 6mm listed at the top is a nominal driver size or a direct measurement of the nozzle... but with your clarification as a direct measurement I might try finding a 5.5mm object, forcing a small tip around it, and seeing if that hurts.

The nozzle of the CC51 might be 6.1mm - I would just round it off to 6 anyway. The takeaway message is that the CC51 nozzle is slightly fatter than that of the EPH-100, which is confirmed by CC51 tips being a bit loose on the Yamahas. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #7,520 of 16,931
Quote:

That was my fault, I was thinking M3. I am not sure why a question about the M4 was asked here as I haven't reviewed them.

Any Chance of a review on them?(m4)

the m3 needed a different shell, a buddy of mine tried to sell me a set and after trying to use them over ears....told him that 35usd was to much.......(made my ears hurt...lol) 

that said, I got a set of m2's on the latest amazon sale for 35bucks and really am enjoying them for out and about (and audio book) use, find them and my proalpha's to be very good for their prices....I have owned better but they cost so much more that taking them out and about was worrying......(i hate loosing things, specially things worth hundreds of dollars....) 

I will say the interactions I have had with mp4nation have been nothing but positive, they have stood behind their stuff and even tossed me extra tips when the PA replacements I got had the pre-release POS tips in the box. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #7,521 of 16,931
@joker

which one is bright between FX700 and Westone 4?

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #7,523 of 16,931
Quote:
Any Chance of a review on them?(m4)

the m3 needed a different shell, a buddy of mine tried to sell me a set and after trying to use them over ears....told him that 35usd was to much.......(made my ears hurt...lol) 

that said, I got a set of m2's on the latest amazon sale for 35bucks and really am enjoying them for out and about (and audio book) use, find them and my proalpha's to be very good for their prices....I have owned better but they cost so much more that taking them out and about was worrying......(i hate loosing things, specially things worth hundreds of dollars....) 

I will say the interactions I have had with mp4nation have been nothing but positive, they have stood behind their stuff and even tossed me extra tips when the PA replacements I got had the pre-release POS tips in the box. 

To be honest I was never a fan of the M3 form factor either. As for the M4, no time at the moment but maybe down the line.

Quote:
@joker

which one is bright between FX700 and Westone 4?

The FX700 has more treble energy. It's not necessarily a 'bright' earphone overall but brighter than the W4.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #7,524 of 16,931
Quote:

To be honest I was never a fan of the M3 form factor either. As for the M4, no time at the moment but maybe down the line.

I'm assuming you're talking about Brainwavz M3...  If so, I agree fully with this.  Wearing them down is fine with their design, but wearing them up isn't as fun (unless you swap ears).  

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7,525 of 16,931
Quote:

FX700 by a good margin

Thanks for the reply :)

Quote:

The FX700 has more treble energy. It's not necessarily a 'bright' earphone overall but brighter than the W4.

So in this case I assume, W4 would be having slightly a tad more treble than the EPH-100 and EPH-100 would be having more bass quantity than the W4 but quality of bass would be more on W4.

Am I leaning towards the W4 now
confused.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #7,526 of 16,931
Joker, have you checked out the 2012 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide?
Congratulations on having so many of your reviews quoted!
Hope it still will be in years to come! 

beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #7,527 of 16,931
Hi all,
I'm currently looking for earphones that are neutral to bright. So far, I've been using sennheiser ie8 and jvc fx500 for my listening sessions, and I suddenly wanted to listen to another one with a different characteristics. (despite having decent highs, fx500 is still bass heavy)
Upon doing some research, I think that SE535 or W4 might give me what I want.
My questions are:
How does the sound compare to the ones I have?
I'm not really an audiophile, will I hear any noticeable improvements with respect to my current IEMs? And what kind of improvements?
Just an additional information, I used my sony A860 as my source. Oh, and I'm also open to any suggestions. Budget-wise, SE535 and W4 are the highest price point I can afford.
Thanks in advance guys!

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #7,528 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi all,
I'm currently looking for earphones that are neutral to bright. So far, I've been using sennheiser ie8 and jvc fx500 for my listening sessions, and I suddenly wanted to listen to another one with a different characteristics. (despite having decent highs, fx500 is still bass heavy)
My questions are:
I'm not really an audiophile, will I hear any noticeable improvements with respect to my current IEMs? And what kind of improvements?
Just an additional information, I used my sony A860 as my source. Oh, and I'm also open to any suggestions. Budget-wise, SE535 and W4 are the highest price point I can afford.
Thanks in advance guys!

I'm going to be honest and say that I wouldn't call the W4 neutral to bright, rather, I'd call them balanced and warm.  However, I don't know what neutral to bright is to you (it all comes to degrees). 

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #7,529 of 16,931
Quote:

I'm assuming you're talking about Brainwavz M3...  If so, I agree fully with this.  Wearing them down is fine with their design, but wearing them up isn't as fun (unless you swap ears).  

Yep, the Brainwavz and whatever ViSang model is equivalent (R04?). There were also some Music Valley IEMs that used the same housing.

Quote:

Thanks for the reply :)

So in this case I assume, W4 would be having slightly a tad more treble than the EPH-100 and EPH-100 would be having more bass quantity than the W4 but quality of bass would be more on W4.

confused.gif

Sounds about right. The W4 might sound too tame/boring next to the EPH-100.

Quote:
Joker, have you checked out the 2012 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide?
Congratulations on having so many of your reviews quoted!
Hope it still will be in years to come! 

beerchug.gif

Thanks, just checked it out. That's quite a few quotes, way more than last year. It seems that a quote from my PFE 112 review made it on to the 232 page and the ER4S review was used for the ER4PT 
redface.gif

Quote:
Hi all,
My questions are:
Thanks in advance guys!

I would call either of those neutral-to-bright - the FX500 probably has the most treble quantity of the bunch. If you're serious about wanting to try a brighter signature with less bass, perhaps the Sony MDR-EX1000 would be the way to go. It'll have a large presentation like the IE8 but with a brighter, less warm signature and more accurate bass response. Of course you could try something neutral-to-bright and still very very good on a smaller budget - the RE272, for example, or Brainwavz B2 / Fischer DBA-02 mkII

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #7,530 of 16,931
Quote:

confused.gif

Conquer confusion the typical head-fi way - buy both FX700 and W4
biggrin.gif

PS: Otherwise, Joker's TF10 would be posted before you buy anything
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back