Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #6,946 of 16,931
Nope, triple flange tips like those are far too bulky for my ears. I'd need something a lot more slim.
Plus I'm not in the US, so getting most MEElectronics hardware is not easy.

Also, I'm not quite satisfied with GR07's tonal balance.
(mid bass overload where I'd rather have more low bass, nasty sibilant boost, lacking highest end)

Just try them out. You may be surprised.  I find the midbass of the GR07 to be ruler flat, and the sub-bass to exceed most other non-bass oriented phones out there, producing wicked rumble when called for. As for sibilance, I just don't experience it much on my pair. It's sounds like you need some an ER4S or something lighter...

PM me if you want me to proxy the meelec tips to you.

May 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #6,947 of 16,931
Quote:
Nope, triple flange tips like those are far too bulky for my ears. I'd need something a lot more slim.
Plus I'm not in the US, so getting most MEElectronics hardware is not easy.

Also, I'm not quite satisfied with GR07's tonal balance.
(high bass/low mid overload where I'd rather have more low bass, nasty sibilant boost, lacking highest end)

Strange, I find their mid bass to be rather polite, and low bass to be more than adequate for my liking.

May 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #6,948 of 16,931
Quote:
hey everybody....i need a BASS HEAVY IEM, my budget is $50
i don't know much about highs and mids and stuff so my main concern is BASS although other things matter too, but not so much..
so what are my options..any help will be much appreciated..:)

MEElec M31

Quote:
Comparing the RE262's to the JVC HA-FXT-90s...what are the big differences? In the review of the RE262, what does  cable-down fit not for everyone mean? :/ What are some other similar earphones compared to the JVC's? 

also would you recommend the 262's if its not possible for me to try them out first hand before buying? Cos I can and have tried out the FXT90 but havent tried the 262's yet

The RE262/RE272 has hard stems that exit at a 90 degree angle. If you have large outer ears you probably won't be able to get a seal wearing them cable-down because the stems will push against the ear. Hence, not for everyone. 

I would not recommend buying the RE262 blind - it's not very similar to the FXT90. Another earphone on that general price/performance level is the Yamaha EPH-100.

May 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #6,950 of 16,931
Which sub-$100 IEMs do you think most closely matches the sonic signature of the Koss KSC-35s?

I realize I'm comparing open to closed and cans to buds, but those are my favorite headphones and I'd like the same characteristics in an IEM without breaking my bank. 

May 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #6,951 of 16,931
Quote:
Which sub-$100 IEMs do you think most closely matches the sonic signature of the Koss KSC-35s?
I realize I'm comparing open to closed and cans to buds, but those are my favorite headphones and I'd like the same characteristics in an IEM without breaking my bank. 

Wow, I haven't heard one of those in a very long time. I would try the Sunrise Xcape IE if I were you but do read a couple of reviews in case I'm fuzzy on what the KSC35 sounds like. .

May 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #6,952 of 16,931
Uhm, GR07 does *not* improve. No really. Mine have more than 1k hours on them.

Just try them out. You may be surprised.  I find the midbass of the GR07 to be ruler flat, and the sub-bass to exceed most other non-bass oriented phones out there, producing wicked rumble when called for. As for sibilance, I just don't experience it much on my pair. It's sounds like you need some an ER4S or something lighter...

PM me if you want me to proxy the meelec tips to you.

Actually GR07 have ok subbass down to 40 Hz, then it drops pretty sharp. Yes, I'm demanding there.
The problem is the resonance from the silicone tips I think - with the foam tips the mid bass is less pronounced, but I can't find long enough foams that fit, and the short small ones tend to either lose fit or collapse.
In fact, they fit best with the included medium (or was that small?) silicone. (which is quite sleek)

Well, I have tried:
1) UE triple flanges (w/ RE272) 2) Hifiman triple flanges (w/ RE272, worked kinda almost - was abrasive though)
3) Sleek Audio triple flanges (w/ SA-6, nice fit but the IEM itself is lacking) 4) Etymoic triple flanges (w/ SA-6, too hard, didn't bend enough)
None of the triple flanges fit GR07.
Also, I have tried various Comply tips, comfortable, but too short. When I forced the Comply P on, they soaked so much treble it's not even funny, but the bass went nice, linear and better controlled. (I bet the too small nozzle was the cause of the lowpass.)

I have some hope that Monster gel tips would work. Is that plausible?

The problem is that my ear canal has a bent shape at the start. Have a peek:
http://ompldr.org/vZG9kMQ/IMG_20120509_083936_marked.jpg
http://ompldr.org/vZG9kMg/IMG_20120509_083945_marked.jpg
http://ompldr.org/vZG9kMA/IMG_20120509_083402_marked.jpg

Those are Spiral Ear SE-5 Reference. Expensive, superb quality, bass pretty much outstripping most dynamics, but suprisingly balanced pretty bright - and they're not as comfortable as I hoped. Also they look funky in ear, like a hearing aid, not easy to put in or take out, so definitely not good for portable use. Great for anything else though.

(Don't mind the green markings, the areas that are to be corrected - I'll have to get new impressions anyway.

Hint for producers: ask for impressions *after* you order parts, heck, even with pre-pay. When made, these were already 3 months old!)

--
I forgot to say what's the balance I'm looking for. Beyerdynamic DT-1350 is pretty much great balance, I'd only like a tinge more subbass off them, maybe fewer high end peaks. See, flat bass is just not musical for headphones.

To show you what I mean, that's the final correction curve for those DT-1350: (500 Hz reference)

May 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #6,953 of 16,931
Quote:

The FX700 is the definition of "no compromise." if you want both quantity AND quality, the FX700 is it. I haven't heard the MG7, but from reviews and chats with friends, the only strength the MG7 has is its sub-bass. The FX700 has everything, and one of the most addictive presentations I've heard in any iem or headphone.

As for sibilance, the FX700 is energetic but never, ever sibilant.

ok thanks a lot for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #6,954 of 16,931
Quote:
Uhm, GR07 does *not* improve. No really. Mine have more than 1k hours on them.

Like I said, I simply don't experience the murderous sibilance with my pair anymore, and this is with me owning and A/B ing wing several other phones.. I'm not attributing it to anything specific. As for triple flange tips, the Meelec M6 tips are perfect for the GR07.

May 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #6,956 of 16,931
Quote:
Looks too large already. Make it 2/3 the diameter or tapering far faster and then we'll talk.
Or perhaps a design that's two flange wth a longer tube part inbetween, like Hifiman's. (but small!)
Currently I get to use small Comply T200.

No wonder you're having bass and treble issues. The gr07's signature does not take kindly to foam or narrow bore tips.

PM me so I can send you the small triple flanges that come with the m6. The one in the picture is large

May 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #6,957 of 16,931
There seems to be a great deal of helping people find new headphones going on here, so I hope you don't mind if I through myself in as well. 

My klisch image s4's have recently broke and I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'd like a sub-$100 pair, but I'd also like to have an option that's sub-$50 and see how those compare.
I also listen to rock, hip hop, and dubstep, as well as a variety of other instrumentals from time to time. Bass is important, but not at the expense of other qualities.  
Good isolation would also be favored, trying to tune out a lot of talking. 
The vsonic's r04 and r06 seem quite good but I just can't stand over ear headphones unfortunately. 

I'd much appreciate the help, thanks. 

May 13, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #6,958 of 16,931
Quote:
There seems to be a great deal of helping people find new headphones going on here, so I hope you don't mind if I through myself in as well. 

My klisch image s4's have recently broke and I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'd like a sub-$100 pair, but I'd also like to have an option that's sub-$50 and see how those compare.
I also listen to rock, hip hop, and dubstep, as well as a variety of other instrumentals from time to time. Bass is important, but not at the expense of other qualities.  
Good isolation would also be favored, trying to tune out a lot of talking. 
The vsonic's r04 and r06 seem quite good but I just can't stand over ear headphones unfortunately. 

I'd much appreciate the help, thanks. 

Similar to the S4: Fischer Audio Consonance, id America Spark (<$50). Other bassy options: Velodyne vPulse, Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE, Xears TD-III / TD4, Soundmagic E10 (<$50). More balanced but still with a bass tilt: HiSound Crysal, MEElec CC51. Best isolation would be from the HiSounds.

May 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #6,959 of 16,931
Quote:

Similar to the S4: Fischer Audio Consonance, id America Spark (<$50). Other bassy options: Velodyne vPulse, Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE, Xears TD-III / TD4, Soundmagic E10 (<$50). More balanced but still with a bass tilt: HiSound Crysal, MEElec CC51. Best isolation would be from the HiSounds.

Thanks for that really clear comparison, your reviews are superb individually but it's hard for me to stack them up given my lack of experience.

Now that I'm starting to narrow it down, how would you say the Soundmagic E10 fits in with the S4 and something a bit higher end like the Crystals?

May 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #6,960 of 16,931
hi ljokerl ! do you think that a 75 ohm resistor can improve the SQ of w4?
http://goldenears.net/board/files/attach/images/783980/727/049/002/239c6f0ccb9f33e0311d03adc8853719.png

http://goldenears.net/board/2049727

(I saw here http://www.head-fi.org/t/583981/westone-4-vs-shure-se535-special-edition-red-535-with-baldur-mk2-cable/600#post_8375315)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back