Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5,432 of 16,931
ljokerl -

Since you have tried a lot of wooden IEMs, I thought I'd ask how you would rate wooden IEMs in terms of isolation compared to non-wooden IEMs.  I had a chance to demo the Brookstone wooden IEMs at the store for a short time and I thought they sounded pretty good.  However, I couldn't tell how well they isolated during the short demo and I need IEM's with at least above average isolation for my daily commute on public transportation.

btw - This and the deal thread are the two threads that keep me coming back regularly to read the entire forum. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #5,433 of 16,931

Quote:

I think I am going to start off with the GR07. It sounds like a great phone to ease me more into the higher end IEMs. Why do I feel like I could see this becoming an obsession?

Once you get past the GR07, FXT90, and other top-tier IEMS, the law of diminishing returns starts to feel all too real. Yo'll end up spending >$300-350 to get a 5% improvement in 'technical ability.' For the most part, a lot of other top-tiers I've listened to just sound a lot like sound signature sidegrades to me. One IEM will ALWAYS do something better than another, so in the end if you find a signature you like, stick with it. A member on here, Pianist, said the RE0 is a top-tier iem. You can read the first part and conclusion of my GR07 review to get a better idea of what I'm saying here. Good luck with your search!

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #5,434 of 16,931

Quote:

Great info - exactly the type of information I was looking for. I believe the SE315 is the model I had. I was able to get it dirt cheap through a manufacturer accommodation deal when I worked retail. It was nowhere near as bassy as the NE-7M and I enjoyed it. I also have a Bose IME2i set that was given to me as a gift - which I am not very fond of. The isolation is terrible and I find the highs too harsh for my taste. 

I am certainly looking more into taking steps toward a more accurate IEM vs consumer. I also don't want buyers remorse, which I tend to get a lot. I am very easy to "upsell" myself when looking at products. My taste in music varies a lot. I will listen to classic rock, alternative, metal... but also several acoustic tracks, some techno, etc. I believe I am ready to delve into a more accurate phone so I can reap the full benefits of lossless audio tracks. 

I think my concern with the FX700, which I was looking at at one point in time before I cut my budget back a tad, was the isolation. Comfort is very important to me as I listen to music a lot while relaxing and not necessarily "on the go," but I want a phone with a great seal as well. Also while at work, I am often removing my phones and reinserting them as I do move around a bit and need to get on/off the phone a lot. I read your reviews for the FX700 and the GR07 and have to ask myself if the difference is really enough to justify double the price tag. Budget was really cut because after reading several reviews, it seemed like there were more "bang for the buck" options at a lower price point. The more I read and learn about different types of sound, transducers, etc... the more I learn the benefit of the higher end models. I begin to ask myself If I am willing to spend $340 on the FX700, is it more worthwhile to look into other 1C or even some 1B models.

The novel Ive written aside - I am willing to sacrifice a more "boomy consumer bass" for accuracy. As my collection of lossless audio files grows, it defeats to purpose to me it seems to not focus more on accuracy. I believe I just put a bit too much emphasis on bass in my original post. 

I think I am going to start off with the GR07. It sounds like a great phone to ease me more into the higher end IEMs. Why do I feel like I could see this becoming an obsession?

In that case the only concern is sibilance - I am not familiar with the MIE2 but I doubt a Bose set has exaggerated treble presence. The GR07 has slightly peaky treble so depending on fit, track, and personal tolerance it can be a little sibilant, especially early on.

As for Head-Fi being an obsession, I was supposed to be done after I bought the RE0...

Quote:
Is there a way to connect my Fiio E6 to a Bluetooth Speaker. Will a Bluetooth Transmitter do?

It will but... why?

Quote:
ljokerl -

Since you have tried a lot of wooden IEMs, I thought I'd ask how you would rate wooden IEMs in terms of isolation compared to non-wooden IEMs.  I had a chance to demo the Brookstone wooden IEMs at the store for a short time and I thought they sounded pretty good.  However, I couldn't tell how well they isolated during the short demo and I need IEM's with at least above average isolation for my daily commute on public transportation.

btw - This and the deal thread are the two threads that keep me coming back regularly to read the entire forum. Thanks!

I doubt housing material affects isolation in a meaningful way - it will all come down to housing design. If there was a woodie that fits like an Ety MC5, I'm sure it would have similar isolation. The Xears TD-III and Fischer Audio Jazz both isolate about as much as a metal or plastic IEM with a similar housing shape would.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #5,436 of 16,931

Quote:
Doesn't make much sense to amp a Bluetooth transmitter, since your Bluetooth speaker has it's own amp. Just attach the transmitter directly to the source.

The speakers aren't amped enough. The sound is kinda lacking a little for a 3 W Speaker. I don't think I mentioned that the speakers are portable.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #5,437 of 16,931
I just ordered the XEPORT 5010-8 Earphones. I will confirm if they have slightly exceeding clarity in comparison to the SP51 and VB with the very deep soundstage and surprisingly good imaging.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #5,438 of 16,931

Quote:
     The speakers aren't amped enough. The sound is kinda lacking a little for a 3 W Speaker. I don't think I mentioned that the speakers are portable.

Right but the power for a wireless speaker is provided by its internal amp. The bluetooth signal itself is digital. The only reason I can see for doing this is if you wanted to use the E6 to modify the signal (i.e. to add bass boost).

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5,443 of 16,931
Please!!! 
L3000.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #5,444 of 16,931

Quote:

Glad it's helped. Hopefully you are still having more fun obsessing over the GR07 than you would from just listening to Beats or Turbines 
rolleyes.gif

Of course I am =P. I am very hard to please, I tend to place high expectations on things I research and buy, especially if they cost so much more than the average person thinks it's sane to.

In the end I'd be complaining about the Turbines too. And would go absolutely mad about the Beats. After the ADDIEMs, any step backwards in clarity would be unforgivable.

Quote:
The GR07 is plenty deep, it just doesn't have very thick note presentation so it sounds lightweight and 'punchy' at the low end rather than full and weighty. The FXT90 bass quantity is about the lowest I would recommend for someone used to 'consumer' sound (e.g. NE-7M) and not actively looking to take a step towards accuracy. While I do think the GR07 is slightly better from a technical standpoint - tighter, clearer, more neutral, more spacious, and a touch more detailed - there's not much of a purpose in paying extra for an earphone you may like less. That said, you used to own a Shure and unless it was an SE115 it probably wasn't as bassy as the NE-7M so you sort of know what to expect from a more accurate in-ear. The beauty of the FXT90 is ease of use, though - it's a very user-friendly earphone that's shallow-insertion and fairly forgiving of different types of tips. It's got good separation and imaging - it's no FX700, but quite close considering what it costs. 

I was just going to say that I had pinned what created my contradicting feelings for the GR07's bass. As it was described as a more "balanced" IEM than most analytic types, I figured it would be more warm and sweet than the ADDIEMs, and that's what I was looking for in a new IEM. The only other disappointment was how the overall sound signature (the light bass and sometimes sibilant highs) make the presentation feel more congested than it really is: I was hoping for bass that would be sufficiently apart from the other frequencies in a way that gives them room.

But, since it was confirmed that the difference between PMPs is very noticeable with the GR07, and how the nano's not the strongest guy in the family in this respect (still wouldn't trade it for anything other than a better sounding nano with higher capacity), maybe I'm hearing things worse than they are. Also, the ZO2 will fatten every frequency up to 1KHz and give them breathing room: exactly what I wanted.

Edit: I forgot to say how the impact of bass is especially important to me since I listen to mostly rock. I bought the ADDIEM because my subgenres tend to be more dense. Example: Radiohead.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #5,445 of 16,931
Yes.
L3000.gif
 Today is a good day to add JVC HA-FXT90
biggrin.gif

After a hundred hours of burn-in the FXT90 began to melt and the sound is already beyond my expectations
beerchug.gif

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

My impressions

I use the standard tip medium. Also after a few days start to adapt to my ears.

I have ordered  the  monster super tip, but I think I've already found the tip that go well.

The basses are no longer muddy as new, beautiful, fast and go far deeper without overlap at other frequencies 

The midde, never dominated by other frequencies, extending seamlessly up to bind to very acute, extended, but without excessive harshness sibilant or roughness fuzzies.

The FTX are almost transparent, I can hear acoustic instruments and even classical music with good reproduction of harmonics that characterise them.

Horns, drums, strings... very good.

Voice, i can feel the breath and i think i feel the breath of the singer. Great dynamics. Full immersion 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back