Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #5,416 of 16,931

Quote:
I had been enjoying my budget ne-7m's for the past couple of years. I used to have a nice pair of shure's years ago that was stolen at my old job. The 7m's tided me over for awhile with some t-400 comply tips.

I have recently been looking into upgrading to a higher quality IEM. I do enjoy IEMs with heavier bass, but still value clear/crisp mids and highs. My choices in music are generally rock and alternative but I do enjoy a lot of acoustical tracks as well. 

I was originally looking at the RE0 but decided I wanted to step up to a more "serious" IEM. With a budget of around $250-ish I was looking at the RE-272 and the ATH-CK10. They seem to be closest to my budget and receive some nice praise. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I currently have no amp and listen to music off my Nano and MacBook Pro - but will me in the market for an amp down the road depending on the IEM I purchase. So any ideas for an amp to accompany your IEM recommendation would be appreciated as well. 

Also look into the GR07 and FXT90. They're at a slightly lower price point, but also have similar reputations for sound, and have different sound signatures to consider.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #5,417 of 16,931

Quote:
Also look into the GR07 and FXT90. They're at a slightly lower price point, but also have similar reputations for sound, and have different sound signatures to consider.

Thanks for the advice. The GR07 sounds like it has a lot of what I am looking for. It appears to be a great candidate for an IEM that eases me into the "higher end" models. The lower price point (I found for $179 on Amazon from VSonic themselves) will give me some more room for an amp if I so choose. 

Given my use for these as previously stated - do the GR07's benefit from an amp? A lot of my listening is done at work as I have a desk job - so I would prefer something portable that will not take up a lot of space - but its not a requirement. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #5,419 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The GR07 sounds like it has a lot of what I am looking for. It appears to be a great candidate for an IEM that eases me into the "higher end" models.

Yeah, that's the exact reason I chose them as well.

$179 on Amazon from VSonic themselves

Just FYI, the one sold on Amazon is sold by a third party. I got mine from them though, so they are reliable.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #5,420 of 16,931

Quote:

How about between the RE272, E-Q7 and JVC FXx00?  Anything I'm missing?

Wasn't very fond of the Final Audio Heaven S audition.

The e-Q7 is not dynamic and the FX700 is a JVC. They don't fit your criteria.

Quote:
I had been enjoying my budget ne-7m's for the past couple of years. I used to have a nice pair of shure's years ago that was stolen at my old job. The 7m's tided me over for awhile with some t-400 comply tips.

I have recently been looking into upgrading to a higher quality IEM. I do enjoy IEMs with heavier bass, but still value clear/crisp mids and highs. My choices in music are generally rock and alternative but I do enjoy a lot of acoustical tracks as well. 

I was originally looking at the RE0 but decided I wanted to step up to a more "serious" IEM. With a budget of around $250-ish I was looking at the RE-272 and the ATH-CK10. They seem to be closest to my budget and receive some nice praise. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I currently have no amp and listen to music off my Nano and MacBook Pro - but will me in the market for an amp down the road depending on the IEM I purchase. So any ideas for an amp to accompany your IEM recommendation would be appreciated as well. 

I am not sure why you are looking at the RE0, CK10, and RE272 if you like heavier bass. Even the GR07 and Sony EX600 may be too bass-light coming from an NE-7M. If you are looking for that level of bass presence, you are better off with a JVC - an FX500 or FXT90 - or maybe an ATH-CKM99 or FutureSonics Atrios. 

Quote:
i'm not sure i get what you mean 
redface.gif
. but  did you fix it or is it fixable?

Fixed already. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #5,421 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:

How about between the RE272, E-Q7 and JVC FXx00?  Anything I'm missing?

Wasn't very fond of the Final Audio Heaven S audition.

Quote:

I am not sure why you are looking at the RE0, CK10, and RE272 if you like heavier bass. Even the GR07 and Sony EX600 may be too bass-light coming from an NE-7M. If you are looking for that level of bass presence, you are better off with a JVC - an FX500 or FXT90 - or maybe an ATH-CKM99 or FutureSonics Atrios. 

Quote:
i'm not sure i get what you mean 
redface.gif
. but  did you fix it or is it fixable?

Fixed already. 

that's a relief... (a strain one 
biggrin.gif
) . would have like to see a picture of that problem

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #5,422 of 16,931

Quote:

Fixed already. 

Hey - bear with me - everyone starts somewhere. I am still easing into this and trying to learn. It wasn't until the past few days that I had ever read anything about the differences between dynamic and BA transducers, ever looked at the sound glossary to understand how people describe their phones, etc. The amount of information around here is somewhat overbearing. 

I may prefer the type of bass on the NE-7M because I really don't know any better. I think I would rather have a punchy, yet "well-weighted" bass rather than one that overpowers the mids and highs. The more I look at it, making a leap into an IEM like the CK10 may be so drastic that what really sounds beautiful may sound terrible to me because, again, I don't know any better and haven't "realized what I have been missing."

The more I researched through the forums about the HiFiMan's and saw more complaints about the build quality - the more I steered away from them. Based on your review of the GR07, it seems like a quality IEM that would be a step in the right direction. Although, it sounds like the FXT90's can go lower and still offer great separation and imaging. This is why I came here looking for some help. In a lot of ways its like looking for a needle in a haystack!! 

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #5,424 of 16,931
Joker, thanks for clarifying distinction between Phonak Perfect Bass (the $189 one and 012 @ $99). What strange pricing: did Audeo try a focus group? I'm with you: near double the cost because filter set differs. Makes no sense to me.

I can't figure out the e-mail alert internals: just got the url link to your early December post today. I should take a look at how I set preferences.

Richard

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #5,425 of 16,931
joker, what are the basic differences between FX500,700 and FXT90? Do they all have good bass quantity, bright and mid forward?

Have you heard Yamaha Eph 100? If yes, where would you put their SQ rating? Are they in the same league as GR07 or FXT90?

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #5,427 of 16,931
Hope Springs eternal 

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5,428 of 16,931

Quote:
The more I researched through the forums about the HiFiMan's and saw more complaints about the build quality - the more I steered away from them. Based on your review of the GR07, it seems like a quality IEM that would be a step in the right direction. Although, it sounds like the FXT90's can go lower and still offer great separation and imaging. This is why I came here looking for some help. In a lot of ways its like looking for a needle in a haystack!! 

The GR07 is plenty deep, it just doesn't have very thick note presentation so it sounds lightweight and 'punchy' at the low end rather than full and weighty. The FXT90 bass quantity is about the lowest I would recommend for someone used to 'consumer' sound (e.g. NE-7M) and not actively looking to take a step towards accuracy. While I do think the GR07 is slightly better from a technical standpoint - tighter, clearer, more neutral, more spacious, and a touch more detailed - there's not much of a purpose in paying extra for an earphone you may like less. That said, you used to own a Shure and unless it was an SE115 it probably wasn't as bassy as the NE-7M so you sort of know what to expect from a more accurate in-ear. The beauty of the FXT90 is ease of use, though - it's a very user-friendly earphone that's shallow-insertion and fairly forgiving of different types of tips. It's got good separation and imaging - it's no FX700, but quite close considering what it costs. 

Quote:
Joker, thanks for clarifying distinction between Phonak Perfect Bass (the $189 one and 012 @ $99). What strange pricing: did Audeo try a focus group? I'm with you: near double the cost because filter set differs. Makes no sense to me.

I can't figure out the e-mail alert internals: just got the url link to your early December post today. I should take a look at how I set preferences.

Richard

The pricing used to make sense before they raised the PFE prices to $160+, when the difference between them was just the cost of the filters. Now you're not only paying extra for the filters that don't come with the 012, but for the other accessories as well.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #5,430 of 16,931

Quote:
The GR07 is plenty deep, it just doesn't have very thick note presentation so it sounds lightweight and 'punchy' at the low end rather than full and weighty. The FXT90 bass quantity is about the lowest I would recommend for someone used to 'consumer' sound (e.g. NE-7M) and not actively looking to take a step towards accuracy. While I do think the GR07 is slightly better from a technical standpoint - tighter, clearer, more neutral, more spacious, and a touch more detailed - there's not much of a purpose in paying extra for an earphone you may like less. That said, you used to own a Shure and unless it was an SE115 it probably wasn't as bassy as the NE-7M so you sort of know what to expect from a more accurate in-ear. The beauty of the FXT90 is ease of use, though - it's a very user-friendly earphone that's shallow-insertion and fairly forgiving of different types of tips. It's got good separation and imaging - it's no FX700, but quite close considering what it costs. 

Great info - exactly the type of information I was looking for. I believe the SE315 is the model I had. I was able to get it dirt cheap through a manufacturer accommodation deal when I worked retail. It was nowhere near as bassy as the NE-7M and I enjoyed it. I also have a Bose IME2i set that was given to me as a gift - which I am not very fond of. The isolation is terrible and I find the highs too harsh for my taste. 

I am certainly looking more into taking steps toward a more accurate IEM vs consumer. I also don't want buyers remorse, which I tend to get a lot. I am very easy to "upsell" myself when looking at products. My taste in music varies a lot. I will listen to classic rock, alternative, metal... but also several acoustic tracks, some techno, etc. I believe I am ready to delve into a more accurate phone so I can reap the full benefits of lossless audio tracks. 

I think my concern with the FX700, which I was looking at at one point in time before I cut my budget back a tad, was the isolation. Comfort is very important to me as I listen to music a lot while relaxing and not necessarily "on the go," but I want a phone with a great seal as well. Also while at work, I am often removing my phones and reinserting them as I do move around a bit and need to get on/off the phone a lot. I read your reviews for the FX700 and the GR07 and have to ask myself if the difference is really enough to justify double the price tag. Budget was really cut because after reading several reviews, it seemed like there were more "bang for the buck" options at a lower price point. The more I read and learn about different types of sound, transducers, etc... the more I learn the benefit of the higher end models. I begin to ask myself If I am willing to spend $340 on the FX700, is it more worthwhile to look into other 1C or even some 1B models.

The novel Ive written aside - I am willing to sacrifice a more "boomy consumer bass" for accuracy. As my collection of lossless audio files grows, it defeats to purpose to me it seems to not focus more on accuracy. I believe I just put a bit too much emphasis on bass in my original post. 

I think I am going to start off with the GR07. It sounds like a great phone to ease me more into the higher end IEMs. Why do I feel like I could see this becoming an obsession?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back