Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #5,402 of 16,931
From the FR numbers the EX1000 is the brightest and has very slightly better bass extension than the other 2.  The EX600 should be noticeably less bright than the EX1000 and the 7550 looks just a little bit darker than the EX600.

The rest of the numbers are fairly similar but the distortion plot shows the EX1000 should be cleaner at higher volumes than the other 2.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #5,405 of 16,931

Quote:
Just read carefully. "  $15 or $1500 phones ,  it's all the same - just feel all right and be happy!!" Concentrate on the second part of the sentence, ..
wink.gif

Start-up wiht your nick and avatar, I saw The Boss before some 30 years, The River Tour here in Europe..., and I have ticket for his Prague concert this summer!
Long live R'n'R!

Relax - I was just yanking your chain and engaging in a little idle 'wish it were so'.  The Boss doesnt come to Oz very often, and it doesnt arouse the same mania as it did when he toured on the back of 'Born in the USA' back in the 80s - I stood in a line for 8 hours to buy 4 tickets while scalpers in front of me bought up all the good seats. It was a work day - fortunately, my boss was a rabid Springsteen fan. The last time I saw him with the E-Street band was in early 2003 and the audience was an interesting mix of parents with their kids and a few Boomers : no sign of the hysteria which accompanied his 80s tour.

In IEM-related news, I am still resisting the lure of the 272s, W4, GR07 and GR10. As you said, it should be about the music, not the gear  :wink:

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5,406 of 16,931

The FR of the EX800ST has a cleaner shape than the EX600 and EX1000 on both the Tyll graphs and Sonove graphs, if you imagine the shape as a sine wave that is.

The reviews seem to praise the mids of the EX800ST, which would make sense if Sony designed them as studio monitors for musicians performing, like vocalists.

FR will only tell you the volume level, not the quality of the mids.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5,408 of 16,931
My best experience with classical and dynamic drivers has probably been the Radius DDM, only because the level of detail on the bass really helped give orchestral pieces authority in big dynamic volume swings. It also grounded instruments like piano or cello really well. It isn't the most engaging IEM for things like strings in chamber music though, for that I'd go for the RE-0 or GR07.

On a related note when I heard the EX800ST I thought it was very, very neutral. I only had my 07's to compare with, and it was slightly warm. It struck me as competent but not immediately engaging even compared to the 07.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5,409 of 16,931

Okay, let me rephrase, string instruments specifically, I don't want any majestic bass or anything.

I broke my Sony EX700 two days ago, somehow fried it while opamp rolling... that was the best one I've heard, now I'm using EX600 and need a new dynamic for string instruments specifically, mids and highs, not interested in the EX1000 or JVC FX700.

You can basically turn off all bass under 400Hz with solo violin and it still sounds great.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #5,410 of 16,931

Quote:
Spot-on review, thanks. 
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Thanks

Quote:
I demand a FXT90 review!
dt880smile.png
Seriously, joker, when are you going to post it?

Soon, unless I postpone  it
tongue.gif

Quote:
hey joker, did you lowered the build quality rating of the ck10 ??? why?

Strain relief on my unit lost anchoring. It is over 3 years old now but it doesn't look like it was anchored that well to start with. Doesn't affect functionality but still disappointing.

Quote:

I have a question, not counting the JVC's or Sony's, what is the best dynamic driver IEM for classical music?  Any price level, thanks in advance to anyone sharing their experiences.

RE272 for me. If its bass weren't so polite it would be nearly perfect.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #5,412 of 16,931
I had been enjoying my budget ne-7m's for the past couple of years. I used to have a nice pair of shure's years ago that was stolen at my old job. The 7m's tided me over for awhile with some t-400 comply tips.

I have recently been looking into upgrading to a higher quality IEM. I do enjoy IEMs with heavier bass, but still value clear/crisp mids and highs. My choices in music are generally rock and alternative but I do enjoy a lot of acoustical tracks as well. 

I was originally looking at the RE0 but decided I wanted to step up to a more "serious" IEM. With a budget of around $250-ish I was looking at the RE-272 and the ATH-CK10. They seem to be closest to my budget and receive some nice praise. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I currently have no amp and listen to music off my Nano and MacBook Pro - but will me in the market for an amp down the road depending on the IEM I purchase. So any ideas for an amp to accompany your IEM recommendation would be appreciated as well. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #5,413 of 16,931
smile.gif

Quote:

Relax - I was just yanking your chain and engaging in a little idle 'wish it were so'.  The Boss doesnt come to Oz very often, and it doesnt arouse the same mania as it did when he toured on the back of 'Born in the USA' back in the 80s - I stood in a line for 8 hours to buy 4 tickets while scalpers in front of me bought up all the good seats. It was a work day - fortunately, my boss was a rabid Springsteen fan. The last time I saw him with the E-Street band was in early 2003 and the audience was an interesting mix of parents with their kids and a few Boomers : no sign of the hysteria which accompanied his 80s tour.

In IEM-related news, I am still resisting the lure of the 272s, W4, GR07 and GR10. As you said, it should be about the music, not the gear  :wink:

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #5,415 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:
hey joker, did you lowered the build quality rating of the ck10 ??? why?

Strain relief on my unit lost anchoring. It is over 3 years old now but it doesn't look like it was anchored that well to start with. Doesn't affect functionality but still disappointing.

i'm not sure i get what you mean 
redface.gif
. but  did you fix it or is it fixable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back